Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Love the turn of the century coins! Live video clip!

msareborn

I love to find old turn of the century coins, but especially when they're only 4" down. That's a one handed dig! Most of the coins I find in the hunted out parks are on the edges or in trashy areas where nobody is patient enough to dig. If I find one beauty like this one on a hunt, I'm happy as a clam. Be sure to watch it in HD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKxO5sQbBnU Go get you some!

n/t

Rare to find an Indian (or a Lincoln, for that matter) that isn't corroded to schidt - good job!

Elton;
I'm using the whites V3i, with the magic pro modified program. I cherry picked this indian Head at 4" and to my surprise, it gave me a 50,51,52 VDI number. That usually means a monument penny. But I figured there are mens gold rings in that range so I always dig em.

PSS1963;
The Indian heads come out looking pretty good in our region. Good copper content. But unfortunately some wheat backs get corroded heavily.

n/t

Nice. Finding a single Indian always seems to validate a hunt, even if everything else was clad.

PSS1963 said:
Rare to find an Indian (or a Lincoln, for that matter) that isn't corroded to schidt - good job!

Its interesting how different soil conditions affect different coins. Every indian I have pulled locally (probably 25 or so within a couple of miles of my home in NE Ohio) has at worst a superficial crust of crud; the ugliest of them lean up beautifully to a non-pitted surface in a hot peroxde bath (at the cost of some patina). Same with many pre-1962 Lincoln pennies (bronze.) I think that tiny bit of tin that was removed after '62 helps in preserving the coins around here. Of course, the post-'82 zinc pennies are sometimes so eaten up by the same soil that they crumble apart while I dig them.

Silver always comes out of there ground around here bright and shiny too, for whatever reason.

msareborn said:
Elton;
I'm using the whites V3i, with the magic pro modified program. I cherry picked this indian Head at 4" and to my surprise, it gave me a 50,51,52 VDI number. That usually means a monument penny. But I figured there are mens gold rings in that range so I always dig em.

PSS1963;
The Indian heads come out looking pretty good in our region. Good copper content. But unfortunately some wheat backs get corroded heavily.

Interesting . . . most Indians (1864-1909) have the same copper content as the wheats (1909-1958 except 1943) - that being 95/5 Cu/(Sn,Zn). Early Indians (and Flying Eagles) had less copper at only 88% (the rest being nickel).*

One possible explanation might be if the Indians had been circulated longer at the time of their loss and so had a good protective coating of Copper Oxide and maybe more of the wheats were lost when brand new - I dunno.

* R.S. Yeoman, 2012, pp 110-116.

H.H.

-pete

Venner said:
Nice. Finding a single Indian always seems to validate a hunt, even if everything else was clad.

PSS1963 said:

Its interesting how different soil conditions affect different coins. Every indian I have pulled locally (probably 25 or so within a couple of miles of my home in NE Ohio) has at worst a superficial crust of crud; the ugliest of them lean up beautifully to a non-pitted surface in a hot peroxde bath (at the cost of some patina). Same with many pre-1962 Lincoln pennies (bronze.) I think that tiny bit of tin that was removed after '62 helps in preserving the coins around here. Of course, the post-'82 zinc pennies are sometimes so eaten up by the same soil that they crumble apart while I dig them.

Silver always comes out of there ground around here bright and shiny too, for whatever reason.

There's a term for what happens to the zinc Lincolns . . . sacrificial anode! :rofl:

-pete