Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Makro Racer on caps/screw tops

squirrel1

Some folks may be wondering about how the detector does. Well today I was showing a friend my Racer. We got to talking and decided to do a small experiment. We gathered a couple beer tops and one screw cap. I dropped a dime, pennies (a pre 1982 and a 2003 model years) and a nickel on the ground. I demonstrated to my friend. In DI3 gain 85 ID mask 10. I swung over the caps. One of them read 53, the other 2 read 82/83 between different sweeps. The tone is blah sounding and long. Sweeping each of the coins tone was way shorter and cleaner/crisper. When I swung over the nickel my friend said it didn't sound good. I had to explain the nickel was ringing as a mid tone, but even this mid tone was also very narrow/crisp clean. All this was done using external speaker, high quality phones would have provided even more differential. Now remember this is small coil performance information. I'll try do some stock coil comparisons.

I don't have enough time on the Racer to 100% confirm this but I noticed that either Iron iffy targets and screw caps (rusty ones) would raise the mineralization meter making them easy to identify. I was digging alot of iffy and one way targets today just to learn the machine.

Not so sure looking a mineralization meter is the way to go. The Fisher F75's mineralization meter fluctuates and rises sometimes to, but I've found to not even look at it for a dig/no dig decision. Better to go by tone and TID response. Of course this is just my opinion. You have to do what works for you.

Tone and #'s are first, especially tone. The Racer seems to put a lot of targets around 82, not a large target ID spread. The meter seemed to confirm what my ear was telling me was all I was saying, just another tool to help ID possibly.

KyJoe said:
I don't have enough time on the Racer to 100% confirm this but I noticed that either Iron iffy targets and screw caps (rusty ones) would raise the mineralization meter making them easy to identify.
Just remember, that most Bottle Caps are made of a ferrous-based metal while most Screw Caps are made of a higher-conductive, non-ferrous alloy, such as aluminum. The "rusty" targets are generally going to be so due to the ferrous metal make-up.

A ferrous target has a different effect on an EMF than a non-ferrous target of similar size and shape. This can help us size and shape some targets to 'classify' then as possible ferrous-based [size=small](wide response)[/size] or smaller non-ferrous [size=small](narrow response such as from a non-ferrous metal coin)[/size]. If targets are in a somewhat nice-and-proper position to the search coil and within a reasonably good detection range, without any nearby offending [size=small](masking)[/size] targets, then we can usually HEAR a more consistent and repeatable audio response and/or audio Tone ID. We will also SEE a tighter, more consistent Target ID number as well.

As for the visual Ferrous Read-Out, or Magnetic Mineralization Indicator [size=small](the 8-segment 'pie' graph)[/size] on the display, its primary use is to inform us of the amount of more challenging 'bad ground' [size=small](Magnetic or Intense Iron Mineralization)[/size] in the area we are searching. The benefit of this can be a reminder that often, in more severe ground, detection depth can be impaired, as well as accuracy of the target response such as Target ID or Audio Tone ID. We can also be fooled because this display will be effected by some target metal types we sweep over.

KyJoe said:
I was digging alot of iffy and one way targets today just to learn the machine.
If a person is mainly Coin Hunting in a typical urban environment, and they watch for a tight and repeatable Target ID number and be attentive to the strong and repeatable two-direction audio responses.

If a person is more desirous of any possible deeper Coin, or one at a bad angle, or searching for coins that are in a trashy site that poses a lot of good-target masking, then they will recover a lot of "iffy" audio responses, "one-way" sweep responses, and a lot of targets that provide a more inconsistent visual display. This is especially true for a successful search at older sites that often have more iron trash present than a modern, urban park might have..

I am always listening for an "iffy" or "one-way" target response because it alerts me to a potentially masked good target. Working the Racer with a lower ID Filter number of '10' [size=small](to hear virtually all ferrous targets)[/size] up to '23' [size=small](to just reject most iron nails)[/size], it will let me make a slow and methodical sweep around the questionable target to listen for any possible iron, or non-iron, nearby object that could be masking a good target.

KyJoe said:
Tone and #'s are first, especially tone.
True, I listen mainly to the audio responses, good and bad, and with a glance I can get a visual idea of what I might have encountered. I then check for two or more targets close together, and isolate the targets for a more proper Visual and Audible response.

KyJoe said:
The Racer seems to put a lot of targets around 82, not a large target ID spread.
The Racer does provide a lot of target spread in the mid-tone range using the 3-Tone mode, but that's often because many targets in that range are of mixed metal make-up, and also because many targets in that range seem to be of odd or unusual shape. A more consistent 'rounder' shape [size=small](Coins and Rings for example)[/size] tend to produce tighter readings, whereas odd-shaped things like keys, strips of discarded foil, old ring-pull type Pull Tabs [size=small](especially if elongated or bent/folded)[/size], church keys [size=small](can and bottle openers)[/size], buckles, and countless other targets, can result in inconsistent visual Target ID responses.

Most US Pennies, Dimes and Quarters, depending upon their orientation and depth and if the coil sweep is centered over the target, will produce a Target ID number close to the '82' to '86' range that is quite tight and consistent.

KyJoe said:
The meter seemed to confirm what my ear was telling me was all I was saying, just another tool to help ID possibly.
The Magnetic Mineral Indicator can give a little information in the 'pie graph' when you encounter a crimp-on Bottle Cap, but at times it might not, or it might not be too significant compared with the ground mineral make-up you arte searching in. Also, the MMI is really best used when you are making a Ground Balance adjustment over a metal-free target spot of ground. It is not the best tool to use when trying to classify targets you encounter.

The best method I have found for 'classifying' Bottle Caps, if I am hunting a site with a lot of them to annoy me, is to observe a Target ID that is usually less consistent, then I use the EPR technique and watch for, and listen for, and Low Audio Iron Tone and Iron-range Target ID read-out. If Bottle Caps are of insignificant quantity at a site, or if a site has a lot of discarded, higher-conductive Screw Caps, then it is a lot easier to just remove the trash targets from the site. That also allows me the opportunity to re-scan the spot and see if there was a deeper or nearby good target that was masked.

Monte

Thanks for all the great advice. Had another short outing today and my silver drought is over! Having used darn near everything I must say I'm really liking the Racer. I'm going to post my thoughts and pics later.

I read another post that bottle caps (crown caps, not the aluminum screw caps) are easy to tell by raising the coil and the TID quickly drops to the 70's vs a good signal and the TID will stick.

My Racer will be here this week, this is something I definitely want to test.