Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Manual/Semi-Auto Sensitivity Question

Does the manual setting affect the Semi-Auto? As in: if I have the manual setting at 20, does the semi-auto disregard that and go above 20 where conditions are conducive? Hope that makes sense. Should I set the manual sensitivity setting on max and then flip over to semi-auto to hunt? This is probably making brain surgery out of a simple thing but one has a lot of time to think with this hobby :)

And how does the 'semi' fit in here. How can it be semi auto?

Cheers
Thomas in Niagara

Most pro's use the manual sensitivity as they feel the semi-auto tends to overcompensate causing an incorrect low sensitivity. Set your unit as high as it will go in manual while keeping a stable unit.
Explorer series can be as hard or easy as you want so KISS might be applicable until you progress farther in learning period.

Thanks Dan. I've been an Explorer user since 2002 and detecting since my first 'Tiny-Tec' detector in 1974. I've got a pretty good handle on the Ex but still have some questions pinging around the old melon that creep up as I'm getting skunked. That was one of them. Thanks for the response. I've run in both manual and auto but the site I hunt is both beach and rich dark soil. Hunting in manual can change as the soil thins in the undulating ground within the space of 20 feet without warning. I've also wondered about X class solar flares affecting the detectors multiple frequencies as I detect.

cheers
Tom

Hey Thomas,

In the early days of the explorer we debated this until the cows came home. The explorers from Etrac on show the actual semi sensitivity on the screen; prior to that we had to guess.

To answer your question. Set the sensitivity number to 1 and switch between manual and semi auto, set a quarter on the ground and sweep over it. In manual you will get very little depth. in auto much more. So in auto it will go well above the setting. And at high manual setting the semi setting may be much lower. Like Dan said most of us (me included) think that in semi auto the machine often backs down the sensitivity much more than desirable, especially in high trash environments.

Thanks for the reply Chris. I've been playing with the sens. settings the last few times out. This site is a park setting near the beach. The soil is loamy topsoil to very mineralized sand. Running in manual can get very chattery as the landscape changes. Never thought to check the sens. as you pointed out. Makes sense. Today I ran it Semi-auto and popped a 1920 merc, two wheats and a 1904 Indian.

I always think of these things while swinging the coil in and out of the briars. I'll try the different settings and try and follow up on my progress.

Thanks again for the response.