Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

manufacturers rarely get it completely right the first time. what is the downside?

Hi copperhead,

That is always a tough question to answer. All of us always have features we might like to see added. One I can think of off-hand is that many people might like to have a backlight in the XT-50. But since I live in Alaska I do not need one. Daylight all summer, and too cold in the winter when it is dark! And when adding features we often end up adding cost and weight and next thing you know you are back up some kind of top-end unit.

So I tend to ask myself "is there anything wrong with the X-Terra 50"? Something implemented that was not done right? And the truth is the machine seems remakably well thought out and complete out of the box. I just grabbed it, and it worked, and worked well. The only thing I noticed was it was a tad noisy, and after I read the owners manual it makes a point about telling the operator NOT to scrub the ground, which I have a habit of doing. Minelab recommends running the coil about 1" off the ground. And sure enough, keeping it a bit off the ground made the machine quiet down. Another danger is running the sensitivity to high, as this is a very high gain unit, and so you will get chatter at higher settings in most areas. But I like that. Some machines you run up to full sensitivity and feel like there is more the machine is not giving you. With the X-Terra it is more likely you have gone too far and need to back off.

I have to tell you, I love beating up on the manufacturers as muchas the next guy. They do some really dumb stuff sometimes. But truly, try as I might, there is really nothing I can think of to complain about on the X-Terra 50. I suspect our main bitch is going to be the old "We announced them before we really had any in stock to sell you" routine and so people will be ordering them and then having to wait to get them. But Minelab surprised me on the weight, and surprised me on the price, so maybe they'll surprise me on supply also.

I guess we can all lament that it is not an Explorer in a 2.9 lb package for an MSRP of $699. Or in my case make that a GP 3500!!

Steve Herschbach

And I was prepared to address any downside that I came across with the X-Terra 50. The typical "all hype" field tests are useless to me as I am sure they are to you.

As I mentioned in my post of 10/24/05, I would've liked to see a backlight for the meter. But that's it thus far.

However, on the whole I have not found any real downside to the machine after a weekend's worth of use, and I have been looking for flaws, gripes, etc.

I have to compliment Minelab on really thinking out this machine. The detector is the most user friendly Minelab that I have used.

I will be out with the X-Terra 50 again this weekend and will post my further thoughts Sunday night.

Bill

If my memory is correct is order to have a back light, It would have had another board To put the light through the front board. This would mean more weight, and money.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Joe,

You're probably right, but you're talking to the wrong guy when it comes to the internal workings. The most that I know about what is inside the box is where the batteries go!

Just my opinion for Copperhead to let him know that I honestly haven't found a downside on this new machine. The backlight would fall under the catagory of "I wish it had" as opposed to "it needs." And to be honest, if it upped the weight substantially I wouldn't want it.

What really impressesabout the X-Terra is that Minelab appears to have taken the time to get this detector right the first time. The biggest downside I'm dealing with now is that my job is getting in the way of my detecting!

Bill

Now, keep in mind that most of the time, those who have the opportunity to evaluate new product entries tend to comment only on the nice things. Minelab, it appears, didn't hesitate to offer up a number of these to a respectful number of dedicated detectorists to 'sample' a variety of hunting environments. They have to know that we're all going to compare the performance of the X-TERRA 50 to a wide variety of makes and models that we each personally favor, and left the door open for us to voice honest opinions.

What does that tell you right off the bat? That Minelab knew they had a well thought out and efficiently engineered detector that had most of the bugs out. This was not a 'rush to production' like we have seen too oven in years past from many manufacturers. It has left me very impressed and as I am working on a second set of batteries I am finding the X-TERRA 50 a very difficult detector to put down, doing so only to pick up one of the others I am comparing it with afield.

We all got the stock 9" concentric coil which alone makes for an interesting feature to evaluate from Minelab since most of use are so used to their Double-D coils. There are other sizes and types displayed or mentioned in the Instruction Manual and the new model flyer, so we know they are coming. This is a very good thing because I, for one, enjoy using smaller coils most of the time because I hunt a lot of iron infested sites or those that have a lot of brush or building rubble. Look how many newer models have been released in this past couple of years that still do not have a smaller coil option from their respective factory, or even mention of plans for one!

So, I can't say this is a "downside" because Minelab is already working on the coil issue (and a unique one at that which includes operating frequency changes!!)

Usually, I do not use a coil cover except on smaller-sized coils that will be stuck in and under brush or near sharp and/or abrasive objects. One other important reason is the weight that they add. I know it doesn't seem like much to some people, but if you hunt with a coil cover on for about 30 minutes to an hour and then pause to remove it and start right back up hunting, you can usually tell the difference.

Once again, Minelab has addressed a concern of many hobbyists. After my first couple of hours with the X-TERRA 50 I did just that and, to my surprise, I couldn't really notice any difference in 'feel' or balance like I do from other brands. Better than the fact that the 9" coil cover is very lightweight is the fact that IT IS INCLUDED AS A STANDARD FEATURE! Nope, they took care of that before anyone could fault what they might consider a weakness or "downside."

From the time I first opened the box to the present I try to think of any strength as well as any weakness it might have and, to satisfy your question I can only think of two or three off hand.

It comes without batteries so you have to supply them, but most of us use AA batteries and have them, around anyway. What's 85

the backlight is of little concern to me, i also use a headlamp while detecting in the dark. I am feeling an irresistable urge to add another detector to my arsenal. i ain't getting any younger and a lightweight quality detector seems like a slam dunk to me. Thanks again