Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero Metal Detectors

Your comments on digital and analogue make me think back to the days of vinyl to digital music and how the high fidelity boys weren't impressed with digital....
I'm of the same mind in that analogue brings across the more subtle variations and depth of the music that digital could never duplicate, including the simple sound of the fingers sliding down the neck, seems the analogue would be much better in terms of the audio presented to our ears and how we are able to percieve those subtle differences in in a single tone to help us better identify the targets....
Which is why I'm not a fan of highly compressed digtal music as in Mp3's and such, lacks the high fidelity I've come to love in my music.

Definitely will stay with analogue... and buy better headphones.... might be a bigger difference than one would expect.

Love following all you old timers and I never stop learning from your experience....

Great reply and I agree, but I am not exactly and old timer! LOL Getting close, but not there yet!

CO_T\Huntr said:
Your comments on digital and analogue make me think back to the days of vinyl to digital music and how the high fidelity boys weren't impressed with digital....
I'm of the same mind in that analogue brings across the more subtle variations and depth of the music that digital could never duplicate, including the simple sound of the fingers sliding down the neck, seems the analogue would be much better in terms of the audio presented to our ears and how we are able to percieve those subtle differences in in a single tone to help us better identify the targets....
Which is why I'm not a fan of highly compressed digtal music as in Mp3's and such, lacks the high fidelity I've come to love in my music.

Definitely will stay with analogue... and buy better headphones.... might be a bigger difference than one would expect.

Love following all you old timers and I never stop learning from your experience....

Rainyday101 said:
What I really like about this book is the clear explanations of digital vs. analog. There is no right or wrong here as each has advantages and disadvantages. Just because you open a detector up and see surface mount solid state devices on the board does not mean it's digital. Most people think of analog as capacitors, resistors, and inductors. A detector is not trully digital until it takes the analog signals and converts them to digital words for use in a micro-processor program. At this point a programmers's program determines how the data is used and interpeted. Analog doesn't neccessary mean old and outdated. It just means that they are proccesing and handling signals without converting them to digital words for a processor. This done with transistors, op-amps, and comparators. A digital machine does this, but does so by handling the data in a program. With the analog, what you get is what you hear. In digital what you hear is based on the program. I am not knocking digital, I am just saying a good analog circuit is hard to beat. I work with digital and analog signals everyday as I design, build, troubleshoot, program, and test automation with PLC's and robots. I know both digital and analog have their place. In digital form it is much easier to manipulate data and use it. In most case to build the analog equivalent would be mind boggling. This why you don't see all them fancy features on an analog detector. In most cases the pots are just adjusting the gain of an op-amp or the level of a comparator.

In the Industrial world, I will take digital any day of the week, hands down. When it comes to detecting, I will take the analog. What the detector sees, is what I hear, not a digital interpetation. That's my opinion, others will disagree, and that's fine. In the end we will all use what works best for us.
So.... are all the Tesoro's made today digital or analog? I know that the Golden uMax I had really had a lot of variations in the sounds of the beep. The Vaquero, Compadre, and Deleon I have not as much.

I am also a little confused with the analog vs digital definition applying to metal detectors.

What I really like about this book is the clear explanations of digital vs. analog. There is no right or wrong here as each has advantages and disadvantages. Just because you open a detector up and see surface mount solid state devices on the board does not mean it's digital. Most people think of analog as capacitors, resistors, and inductors. A detector is not trully digital until it takes the analog signals and converts them to digital words for use in a micro-processor program. At this point a programmers's program determines how the data is used and interpeted. Analog doesn't neccessary mean old and outdated. It just means that they are proccesing and handling signals without converting them to digital words for a processor. This done with transistors, op-amps, and comparators. A digital machine does this, but does so by handling the data in a program. With the analog, what you get is what you hear. In digital what you hear is based on the program. I am not knocking digital, I am just saying a good analog circuit is hard to beat. I work with digital and analog signals everyday as I design, build, troubleshoot, program, and test automation with PLC's and robots. I know both digital and analog have their place. In digital form it is much easier to manipulate data and use it. In most case to build the analog equivalent would be mind boggling. This why you don't see all them fancy features on an analog detector. In most cases the pots are just adjusting the gain of an op-amp or the level of a comparator.

In the Industrial world, I will take digital any day of the week, hands down. When it comes to detecting, I will take the analog. What the detector sees, is what I hear, not a digital interpetation. That's my opinion, others will disagree, and that's fine. In the end we will all use what works best for us.
I would love to pic your brain on re programing automotive CPU and controller's.
To make them run Much leaner.
Without setting codes.
Many years age I developed a carburetion system that really got 70+ mpg.
Patented.
Though I've been unable to make it work on modern vehicles.

I didn't catch the title of the book.
Wow this thread is old. Many of the posts from even older had a lot of tips on learning the Tesoro detectors and how to get the most from them. I still use my Tejon on occasion. Anyway ...
The book title is the same as the title of the original post and it is out there on Amazon.

"Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero Metal Detectors"​