Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Maximum voltage

The two batteries are wired in series within the detector. Depending on type of cells you use the Open Circuit voltage (OCV) and nominal voltages are different specifications to look at. THIS INFORMATION IS PER SPECIFICATION SHEETS AND IS NOT WHAT THE ATX WAS DESIGNED TO. The best answer might be obtained by a phone call to Garrett.

Per IEC/ANSI Standards:
Alkaline manganese cells have an OCV of 1.65 and a nominal voltage of 1.5
Carbon zinc cells have an OCV of 1.80 and a nominal voltage of 1.5
Nickel Cadmium cells have an OCV of 1.5 and a nominal voltage of 1.2

With the above information and the number of cells (:geek: the design of the detector's internal regulator should be designed to handle the maximum potential voltage of the Carbon Zinc cells. I.e. 14.8VDC (OCV) and a Nominal Voltage of 12VDC.

One more specification to look at is the higher the mAh rating of the NiCd, the larger the cells will be in length and diameter.
The larger ones in some battery holders make for a very tight fit especially in the Garrett Infinium.

Also using the larger cells in a battery holder made for minimum specifications of an Alkaline cell will cause the holder to fail.

AA-Rechargable (in mm) Length 47.3 min 50.5 max Diameter 13.5 min 14.7 max

These are Li-PO cells, they charge to 4.6VDC, they then have an internal circuit board regulator to regulate the terminal voltage to 1.5VDC. They have to be charged in their own special charger, not the one used to charge NiCd or NiMH cells.

These cells are rated in mWh, milli-watt-hours which is not the same as mAh, milli-amp-hours and because of the currant draw (about .180mA in the ATX), the NiMH are the cells of my choice. In the ATPro with its lower currant draw (about .65mA) they (the Li-PO cells) are better suited in that they will drive the ATPro longer than the comparable NiMH cells.

Other advantages of the LI-PO cells are their light weight and better operation at lower temperature than NiCd and NiMH cells.
Their disadvantage is cost and more components that might fail.

So 8 alkaline or 8 of the kentli Lipo will run it. I have an external battery pack hooked up to the atx now that I might consider playing with the size/configurations

That is true, but I still would opt for a quality set of NiMH. I personally have used Tenergy and EverReady (supplied by Garrett). Eneloop all have great reviews.

If you go with the Kentli, buy a spare just in case one goes bad. That way you will not be looking to go back to NiCd or NiMH. It would be a bit of insurance.

One question: Why an external battery pack?

Understand the weight. If only someone would make an aftermarket Carbon Fiber shaft we could loose 2 pounds and not miss it at all. Not to mention the pain of the camlocks. The weight is not that much of an issue in the water. But the drag of the shaft is.

There is no shell... Also using a custom cf shaft. Only problem is I have 1 coil for it, the infinium 10x14dd... and that thing weighs a friggen ton.
2nd atx in the mail now with 2 coils and the shell. I will see what the weight difference is.
Garrett made a big mistake on coil weight