Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

metal coil connectors

coffey67

I have noticed that on a few of my older detectors that the bolt and nut that holds the coil on is metal. The newer ones seem to be plastic. Would there be any advantage of replacing the metal ones with plastic? Also my old Bandido II has a lower rod that is mostly metal and terminates with about 6 inches of plastic. Would a non-metal lower rod help? Does the ground balance cancel out the metal? Would the ground balance be more sensitive if the metal were not there?

Metal pins are fine, Tesoro had them exclusively for years and a few others probably did too.
This issue has come up for years, everyone says just don't worry about it...so don't.
Also the metal lower rod, an oddity but if the factory didn't think it would matter I wouldn't worry about that either.

No problem with the lower rod or the coil attachment screw being metal. As long as it is stationary to the coil, the coil doesn't really see them. Only when the one or the other is moving in relation to the coil, does the detector see it.

Swap the metal parts for plastic ones and you'll be amazed. Try it, nothing to lose there.
That is what we did when we started into detecting, tunig the machines by removing the metal bolts and nuts, using non metallic lower rods which gave the loop more space without detuning.
Question: Why is black sand between coil cover and coil a mess?? - And that is less than a wingnut will be...

The black sand moving around will cause an erratic behavior. Never had this happen , may be the wrong example to discuss.
On the other hand, why are all well-respected manufacturers using plastic bolts and plastic nuts on their current hardware? Steel would be a lot more durable and could be smaller? Also the coils ears would last much longer if made of metal.

Plastic is less expensive than steel. Coil ears are plastic because they can make the entire coil top by injecting or pressing a piece of plastic. Plastic is also lighter in weight.

Why are car bumpers plastic and not metal like years past?