Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

meter calibration

A

Anonymous

I just got the new GT as a second machine. It seems strange that the meter has to be calibrated. Once it is set why would you ever change it? If no reason, why don't they just peg it at the factory instead of running the risk that the knob will get bumped and move your settings? Anyone tried to permanently peg the knob?

I have to recalibrate mine for the 12" coil when changing from the 8"

There are slight differences in the ID voltage between machines. The individual meter would have to be adjusted to and sold with a particular detector.
Then it could be jarred during shipping.
Differences in temperature will drift the electronics components.
Age can cause change in the electronic components.
You may want the meter calibrated to read differently than suggested.
Sooooooooo.........
You would not want the meter "permanently" adjusted by the factory or yourself.
Have heard of wrapping rubber bands around the adjustment shaft, or using a drop of hot glue to help keep things in place as long as it's just a gentle bump.
All you really need to do is check it when you start hunting. If it seems to start reading a bit off after a while, just check it again.
No big deal.
HH

Very logical answer. Hadn't considered that. The hot glue idea is interesting. Thanks to both of you who responded.

Might not use the glue, or nail polish, or any other stickum stuff until you are sure just how well it stays calibrated. DEFINITELY NO superglue or loctite!!!!
HH

One thing you can do is put a O ring behind the knob or some rubber bands to make it harder to turn, some will even take the knob off so you just have the shaft which is harder to knock out of adjustment.
One of the reason you will want to beable to recalibrate it is for when you change coils as the calibration will change plus the fact you the operator has control of the calibration that you can do anytime and not have to send it in to be done.
If you dont like to calibrate it Joe Patrick make a meter called the Patriot for $295 that I understand has a feature where you push a button i and it will calibrate the meter for you.
Rick