Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Explorer Electronics Difficulties...help

WessThompson

okay folks...I'm losing my mind here and need some help desperately.

Powered up the explorer...and all settings were zeroized. EVERYTHING set to zero...volume, threshold, tones, contrast, you name it. I can enter all of my settings and get the machine set how i want...and once this is done, it works just fine...like a normal explorer.

HOWEVER, when I hit the power button to shut it off...it says "Battery Flat...battery too low for reliable operation" and the screen freezes at that point, with the machine still on.

The only way to shut off the detector is to pull the battery out. When I do this, it shuts off. Upon sliding the battery pack back in...the machines immediately powers up...but as it does, just before (or after, can't recall) the version screen comes up...it says "reset required".

After that, the machines comes on, and once again...EVERYTHING is set at zero, and I have to go through the same process again as above.

Anyone ever seen this, or have ANY clue as to what I can do here!?! I have tried quite a few different battery packs, and the batteries all test fine.

I'm considering sending it to Minelab...apparently if I do this, I'll be going a long time without the detector...but I need to fix this thing. I have NO clue what the heck to expect for charges from Minelab either. Anyone ever sent their machine in!? and how was your experience??

This is TWO explorers now sitting on the shelf...both not working :(

Thanks

Wess

Wess,

I have had some similar problems, but not exactly. I knew that the battery was nearly fully charged. The audio would "warble" and sometimes state that the battery was flat and then shutdown.

I was using the auxiliary battery pack. I took the cover off and removed the cells and reinstalled them. After that the problems did not reappear. If you are using the sealed rechargeable pack you can not do what I did. But, if you are using the auxiliary pack then you can. My suggestion is to try a different battery pack if you have one.

Glenn

Hi Wess;
I don't have a clue about the problem, but as far as service goes, I sent my excalibur in last fall for a complete once-over and had it back in just over two weeks.
I first sent an email to the service dept telling them the work I wanted done, wrote it all out on a sheet and packed that with the detector.
When I called 10days later to see if it arrived, they said it was done already!
Now they may have been slow at the time with not much to do, but I was very impressed.
I had all the knobs and decals replaced, the electonics checked out, new headphones and a spare lower rod all for $120us. I bought the machine used and there was no warranty on any of the work.
You may try emailing Minelab service with the problem and they may be able to solve it without sending it in.
Good luck.
MM

Wess,

You say that "all settings were zeroed". This is what I have found is usually due to the coil connections shorting at some point/s along the line.
Having to replace all the settings and the Explorer working normally again to , in my experince is typical of the same shorting.

The "Battery Flat...battery too low for reliable operation" part with a screen freeze is looking ominous.

Having to remove the battery to shut the detector down is not a good sign either.

To then have to replace the settings after this is done, just says something MAJOR is wrong.

Just wait till you and if you're unlucky enough to encounter the one I finally experienced.

The detector turning it self on.

Yup.

I read about it once before. Doubted it and laughed about it and then.......in the still of the night at 2am on a recent dark wintry morning, in the middle of my sleep...............it happens to ME.

Freaked me out as I couldn't work out what it was at first and I could not turn it off at the switch. Took out the battery.

Later on that day when I woke up, I put the battery back in.

It would NOT switch back on.

Took the battery out.

First thing I tried was a fresh set of alkilines in a battery pack and for the first time ever, all of the battery other types of packs that I have used with the Explorer. Nothing. DEAD! Removed the coil. Still nothing.

I unscrewed the control panel and it looked inside without taking it apart put the battery back in and it worked. Turned it off. Screwed everything back together. It would not switch back on.

Put the detector aside and hopped it would turn itself back on. I wish.
Not for two days it didn't and then again at night , I find it's turned itself back on. Tried moving around to the differing menus and it keeps freezing. Turn it back off. Won't come back on until I push two buttons at the same time. RESET and the POWER ON. Detects fine on air tests.

Works for two days. Then it again just stoped and would not work.

This was the case with my second Explorer XS which is the one I did not attempt to modify or even experiemnt with. Left it as it was from the day I purchased new. Soon it is going to be shipped back to ML for repair/s. I can't figure out the problem and it has driven absolutely nuts trying to.

The third one I managed to fix with with a part from my first now dead, chest mounted Explorer XS.

I changed and used whatever worked and managed to obtain, by purchasing the various expensive PCB,s, from wherever I could and for what I thought might be the cause. Now, this excess has been an a real expensive learning curve in trying repair the Explorer myself.

I've realised that I just want to go detecting to find stuff.
I am through with the wanna be techo stuff and trying to learn from my mistakes.

There is just no time to attempt do repairs, of such an in depth nature for me anymore.

So far no problems with the EX 11 that I managed to purchase used from someone in the USA and who was happy to sell it to me.

Also got myself the whites DFX and other detectors to help me with my need.

Hope you work it out and when I send it back to ML and get it back, hopefully repaired , I'll let you know what they did with it.(If it's obvious to me of course)

Hard Nosed Dave

I have been banging my head against the wall over this...and have acheived zero progress on the situation! Although, it appears by searching on the net...many have had this same issue. Sadly they are very old posts...with no answers. Wish I could find out how they solved the issue...or what work was required.

Looks like I'm going to have to send this sucker in.

In the meantime...I'll have to scoop up another machine. I can't be without a detector this time of year!!

I have ALWAYS had various backup machines...but found I never used them. Finally I decided to sell them off...and just as I do...this :(

Thanks again, and I hope your machine gets fixed for a good price and in a timely manner!

Wess

Thanks for the PM and suggestions Dave, my problem is half solved:clapping:

I checked out the pins on the ribbon connector that connect to the on/off button on the front panel (pins 5+6).

I've now put a toggle switch across those pins and yippee! The detector now stays on and operates perfectly . That annoying 'feature' where it shut down as soon as I pressed any button has now gone. The outstanding problem is that the Explorer seems to make up it's own mind when it wants to turn on :veryangry:
Sometimes it will come on straight away and other times I can go away ,have a cup of coffee,watch TV ,walk the dog and then come back sit there swearing at for 10minutes (that always helps:)) and it'll burst into life (sometimes up to 2 hours later). It almost seems like it's waiting for a capacitor to fully discharge or something.

I guess this could be a tough nut to crack ,but any suggestions would be really welcome.

:cheers: Tony