Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab F-3 - designed for detecting land mines

Terry B

I'm curious if the Minelab F-3 can be used effectively for the hobbyist also, and if so, for coins and jewelry, or gold?

No ID or discrimination is survivable in cases when you're just digging everything (for example, at the beach, or in some relic dumps).
But operating on 1.25 KHz means it will be absolutely blind to small(ish) gold. You'll have a better luck finding gold with a $50 Harbor Freight detector.

Understood. It seems strange that a Minelab PI detector would only have a 1.25 KHz frequency. Maybe better for silver. Someone has one like new for sale on Craigslist, but it wouldn't fit my needs. Designed for military for sure. Thanks for the heads up.

The "1.25kHz" refers to the pulse frequency, which has no correlation whatsoever to a VLF detector's frequency. Generally, a mine detector designed for minimum metal mines will have similar performance to what you find in a nugget detector as they are both trying to find very small bits of metal. I would expect the F3 to be similar to the SDC2300, though I've never used an F3.

They used to modify the F3 here in Oz for gold detecting a number of years ago.
They were in roughly the same league as an SD2100.