Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab GP3500

A

Anonymous

How well does this unit disc. out iron [I'm looking at coin hunting applications.] I'm also looking to hunt Arty Shells in a salt area.

It should do well on the artillery shells, but as a coin machine the VLF detectors like the Explorer and Sovereign have a much better discriminator. The 3500 will not disc out pull tabs, bottle caps, and such trash. It blanks out on ferrous. The P.I. detectors like the 3500 have a completely different type of discriminator circuitry that is nowhere near the capability of the VLF machines. It's strong point is that it can find targets deep in an environment that is so highly mineralised that the VLF machines won't work. It isn't a problem because most gold is in areas that haven't been contaminated with lots of trash. The gold that is in areas with a lot of trash will probably be there until a gold machine with a really good discriminator is brought to market.
-Joe

Hi vlad,

See my review and post regarding coin detecting with the GP 3500 farther up the page. The GP 3500 by a combination of different tones and the iron disc circuit allows you to identify more items than is the case with other PI detectors. You cannot eliminate all iron targets, but I have found I am able to reduce my digging of junk to a reasonable degree. The results, frankly, will just depend on your particular area. One thing I can promise you, however, is the GP 3500 will pull up a large number of targets you'll miss with other detectors. That may be worth digging some junk, depending on what you are looking for.

Steve Herschbach