Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab gpx 5000 for UK coin hunting?

Hastings

Hi,
I'm from the UK & have detected my sites for many years with many detectors & am not finding stuff anymore.
I need a very deep seeking detector to find coins about 14" & deeper would a Gpx 5000 do this & which coil would be the deepest for it one that will disc iron,
Thanks,

Hi Hastings. What size coins are you talking about? 14" is a tall order for any detector, what sort of ground are you detecting on - pasture that is never ploughed or farm fields that are regularly ploughed? Is there a lot of iron contamination? Only DD and Coiltek Anti Interference coils discriminate on the 5000. The larger the coil the deeper it detects

Hi filternozzle.any size coins it,s mainly permanent pasture,some areas have iron other areas relitively little.Just wondering if Gpx would be much deeper than the deepest Vlf.

The GPX is an excellent machine and my deepest coins have been found with it. I very seldom if ever use the stock coil as I favour the Coiltek 14" Elite DD or 14" Anti Interference coils. A few weeks ago I was detecting with my detecting pal who was using a Nautilus, I had the GPX. I shouted him across to look at a coin protruding from the bottom of the hole I had just dug. When he saw this he murmured the Nautilus just cant compete with the GPX, I hasten to add he was using a 10" and I had a 14" coil so it wasn't an even playing field.

If your site has produced nice finds in the past and is no longer providing you with finds it could be because you have had them all; on the other hand it may be there are still good targets to be had but out of reach at the moment. In which case I would expect the GPX to find targets for you but you have to take into consideration the cost purchase and a whole new learning curve. You can use factory presets but to get the best from the machine you have to match it to the site so you need to know what each controls does and whether there is a knock on affect with other controls.

I would suggets to borrow any minelab PI detector and try it, or buy any cheap like minelab F1 A 4 and try it, I bought mine in Uk and its a bit deeper then all my VLf and more sensitive to small stuff too, but to use it in Iron can be tricky, but anyway its interesting to try. I am not from Uk so cant give my for experiment but if some day you will go to Baltic's maybe we can meet.