Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Minelab Musketeer Advantage, XS and XS Pro

ToddB64

Hi All ! :)

I'm investigating the subject metal detectors. I know they are long out of production and have the old analog circuits, but if someone has a nice undamaged fully operational Advantage to sell at the right price (Including shipping), I would like to know.

I have the manuals saved in my computer, intending to review them closely and compare, but it would speed things along for me if someone has owned and operated these models and could answer my questions below. Being retired at age 79 and with some Rheumatoid Arthritis, I would need to hip-mount the control/battery box to reduce weight on my arms, so would need a hip-mount bag.

Question #1: Does the Discrimination control on the Advantage have a tighter range than the XS and XS Pro models ?
Question #2: When hip-mounting the control/battery box, how much does the pole system with arm cuff and coil weigh ?

I realize that a good design can reduce the "felt weight" of a metal detector.

Thanks much !
ToddB64

Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Scan_20210507.jpg

I cannot answer your questions, but that ad is incorrect... the Musketeer line does not have auto track ground tracking.
It has a “fixed” mode and a manual mode to ground balance.

Hi fwcrawford ! :)

As explained under the sub-title Ground Adjust Control at the top-left of manual page #12, I interpret the ad to mean that when in Fix mode, the control box circuit is automatically tracking the ground mineralization. If while detecting in this setting the ground mineralization becomes high, the Advantage will produce “ground noise” or false signals. To reduce these noises it will then be necessary to switch the detector out of the “Fix” position and manually adjust ground balance for the higher mineralization in the area you are hunting.

So, I guess it's fair to say it's a matter how one is interpreting the ad.

ToddB64

Last edited:
Hi fwcrawford ! :)

As explained under the sub-title Ground Adjust Control at the top-left of manual page #12, I interpret the ad to mean that when in Fix mode, the control box circuit is automatically tracking the ground mineralization. If while detecting in this setting the ground mineralization becomes high, the Advantage will produce “ground noise” or false signals. To reduce these noises it will then be necessary to switch the detector out of the “Fix” position and manually adjust ground balance for the higher mineralization in the area you are hunting.

So, I guess it's fair to say it's a matter how one is interpreting the ad.

ToddB64
In fixed mode it does not track, but it will false when the ground conditions change as you mentioned.
It is a pretty forgiving detector and it does well for me in this red clay.
The Advantage also was offered in a Pro Pack that included a rechargeable battery pack, charger, a 10” coil, and an armcuff/ bracket assembly that allowed mounting of the control box under the cuff for better balance.

fwcrawford,

How does the Advantage know when to give a false signal if it's circuit isn't tracking and analyzing the the ground mineralization ?

ToddB64

fwcrawford,

How does the Advantage know when to give a false signal if it's circuit isn't tracking and analyzing the the ground mineralization ?

ToddB64
Basically, when the ground balance is off,
The detector starts sensing ground minerals which makes it think it is over a target.
It is not tracking.
I also have a Tesoro Vaquero which is manual ground balance and it does the same thing when the ground conditions change.
On the Musketeer, this will occur whether you are in fixed mode or manual ground balance mode.

I found this comparison chart in an old catalog.
Hopefully this will help clear things up.

Attachments

• 77DA5799-29B7-4234-BF0B-D8ABE0280AF3.jpeg
    77DA5799-29B7-4234-BF0B-D8ABE0280AF3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 226
fwcrawford,

Thanks for the Comparison Chart !
I now see how you came to that conclusion, but how do we really know which one is correct, the Ad or the Comparison Chart ?
#1..Maybe we could rely on the most current published date, i.e. when your catalog was printed versus when the Ad was published in my Lost Treasures magazines.
#2..Or, we could e-mail or send a letter to Minelab in Austrailia and asked them to check their records and clarify.
#3..Otherwise, if either of us had a Minelab Musketeer Advantage metal detector on hand we could do some field tests to prove or disprove the Automatic Ground Tracking claim made in the Ad.

I don't have this detector and assume you don't either, so let me know which method, #1, or #2, you prefer to do and I'll do the remaining one.
Think of it this way, this could be satisfying for both of us to find out for sure ! ;)

ToddB64

Fwcrawford has one and I use to have one.

The comparison chart is correct.
The ad? I think someone was drinking too much and mixed facts. The musky has no automatic ground tracking. It’s either “fixed” in place or you have to manually GB.

As stated in the post above, I actually do have a Musketeer Advantage that I still use from time to time.
The catalog I got the chart from was from 2007.
I have seen lots of ads and read many field reports as well as many posts on this detector and have never heard one mention of auto ground tracking.
Just curious as to what issue of Lost Treasure magizine you found the ad in you posted?

earthlypotluck and fwcrawford,

Thanks for your replies (Posts #9 and #10). I'm now convinced that the Minelab Musketeer Advantage doe NOT have Automatic Ground Tracking, and It’s either “fixed” in place or you have to manually GB.

By "Fix" mode, I take this to mean that the circuit is "factory fixed" to handle most ground mineralization conditions, like many other low priced makes and models of metal detectors, for example the Garrett Ace250 and Tesoro Compadre. Otherwise, you have to use Manual Ground Balance mode (Bobbing the coil, etc.,etc.).

Ok, that's finally solved to my satisfaction. ;) Now all I have to do is find a Minelab Musketeer Advantage for sale ! :rolleyes: Anybody ?

fwcrawford......I found the Ad for the Minelab Musketeer Advantage that stated "Automatic Ground Tracking" in the November, 2003 and December, 2003 issues of Lost Treasure magazine, on the inside of the front cover.

Thanks Gentlemen !

ToddB64

Last edited:
I looked through some old magazines I have.... only one I could find is this one from Oct. 2002 Eastern & Western Treasures issue.
The Musketeer Advantage was introduced sometime in 2002, and discontinued in 2009.
You may want to post in the classifieds about wanting to buy an Advantage... maybe even the Beep Dig forum.

Attachments

• 7663451A-5833-431F-8BC4-2A5F28BF04FB.jpeg
    7663451A-5833-431F-8BC4-2A5F28BF04FB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 223
fwcrawford,

Thanks for the E. & W. Treasures Oct. , 2002 magazine Ad for the Minelab Musketeer Advantage metal detector. I enlarged the photo of the Ad and was able to read all the features listed. This was further proof that the Advantage does not have Automatic Ground Tracking. Instead, it has "Precision Adjustable Ground Balance", or Manual Ground Balance as we normally call it and the dial starts in the "Fix" position at the far-left, which I interpret as being the same as "factory fixed" for average ground mineralization conditions, and on up the arc in Manual Ground Balance mode.

As you suggested, I posted in the Beep & Dig and Classifieds.

Thanks again Mr. Crawford, et al, for all the help ! ;)

ToddB64

Last edited:
fwcrawford,

Thanks for the E. & W. Treasures Oct. , 2002 magazine Ad for the Minelab Musketeer Advantage metal detector. I enlarged the photo of the Ad and was able to read all the features listed. This was further proof that the Advantage does not have Automatic Ground Tracking. Instead, it has "Precision Adjustable Ground Balance", or Manual Ground Balance as we normally call it and the dial starts in the "Fix" position at the far-left, which I interpret as being the same as "factory fixed" for average ground mineralization conditions, and on up the arc in Manual Ground Balance mode.

As you suggested, I posted in the Beep & Dig and Classifieds.

Thanks again Mr. Crawford, et al, for all the help ! ;)

ToddB64