Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mini Tips

The Lost Ring

As an ex2 user, I would like to share my experience in this post.

Mini Tips 1:
Whether it's Ex2 or other underwater detectors, it's not enough to wash it with fresh water, especially after getting out of salt water.
Salt deposits in recesses such as buttons and cable connections, where the fresh water cannot fully contact, cause corrosion on the o-ring and metals.
In order to prevent corrosion and to make your detector last longer, it would be beneficial to leave it in a fresh water barrel or a large bucket for a few hours after each use.
This way the fresh water will touch all the indentations and remove the salt.
I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.🥺🥺🥺

As an ex2 user, I would like to share my experience in this post.

Mini Tips 1:
Whether it's Ex2 or other underwater detectors, it's not enough to wash it with fresh water, especially after getting out of salt water.
Salt deposits in recesses such as buttons and cable connections, where the fresh water cannot fully contact, cause corrosion on the o-ring and metals.
In order to prevent corrosion and to make your detector last longer, it would be beneficial to leave it in a fresh water barrel or a large bucket for a few hours after each use.
This way the fresh water will touch all the indentations and remove the salt.
I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say.🥺🥺🥺
The same goes for the battery connections on the Excalibur. It creates osmosis and ends up exploding the battery container.

Attachments

• 20211206_090555.jpg
    20211206_090555.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 168
Another reason to stay on land….😂😂

The same goes for the battery connections on the Excalibur. It creates osmosis and ends up exploding the battery container.
I totally agree and you are right.
But the cracks in ex2 battery connections are not just due to corrosion.

I saw these cracks the first week I used the ex2. He said that the authorized service connection cover is very stuck. My friend, who bought the detector at the same time, had the same problem. He thinks that the cracks are caused by the expansion of the metal as a result of the heating of the connectors during charging. This seems to be a common problem for all users. Minelab should find a solution for this problem.
I don't want to think it's a planned obsolescence strategy.

Attachments

• DC9B2BEE-2122-4684-A18D-41630F3B5E2F.jpeg
    DC9B2BEE-2122-4684-A18D-41630F3B5E2F.jpeg
    940.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 08D86D5D-818A-4183-A062-686008246702.jpeg
    08D86D5D-818A-4183-A062-686008246702.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 170
  • 7A9E2E83-70BE-4556-B968-37644951AF16.jpeg
    7A9E2E83-70BE-4556-B968-37644951AF16.jpeg
    757.5 KB · Views: 180
Thanks for the info. I am a very careful person with my equipment and in my case, two broke. I usually use a contact cleaner after rinsing with fresh water and blowing with air. Still, it broke again ... 😡

I use delectric gel on my contacts before I go out On both the Nox and Excal II. It helps keep contacts in working order.
Mechcanics use it on spark plugs
Tony
Very valuable information sharing.

We can talk about another tip about it.

Mini Tips 2: Sealing

Sealing is one of the biggest problems of underwater hunters.
Gel or silicone grease can be used on covers, seals. The advantage of silicone grease is that it prevents seals from hardening. The salt water resistance of the silicone grease provides sealing, especially in cable sockets.

Use of silicone grease in battery connections

Attachments

• EAF90393-F0C5-4295-80C2-0CAFB37DDE9B.jpeg
    EAF90393-F0C5-4295-80C2-0CAFB37DDE9B.jpeg
    824.2 KB · Views: 174
  • 64ECBE5B-723E-43AD-8587-D3C36AE2B319.jpeg
    64ECBE5B-723E-43AD-8587-D3C36AE2B319.jpeg
    654.3 KB · Views: 169
I use delectric gel on my contacts before I go out On both the Nox and Excal II. It helps keep contacts in working order.
Mechcanics use it on spark plugs
Tony
Hi Tony - where/how are you using this? Are you ushing it into the connections so it makes contact with the metal parts? Or on the threading where the connectors screw together (kind of like plumbers or teflon tape when installing a shower head or the like)? Are you just smearing a bit on the plastic area such as Lost Ring posted with the silicone grease on his battery connections? I'm not familiar with delectric gel, is it the same as the silicone grease?

Thanks

Mini Tips 3 : Coil Cover Cleaning and fixing.
After each dive, remove the cover and clean the sand. Thus, you get rid of the mineral effect caused by the sand remaining inside the cover.
After a while the cover will expand and you can fix it with cable ties. In this way, you also reduce the contact wear of the cover and you will use it for a long time.

Attachments

• EDC93251-5CF2-42AC-B83B-9F0B4703EEA0.jpeg
    EDC93251-5CF2-42AC-B83B-9F0B4703EEA0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 159
  • F18490AA-9D85-48C0-B857-2638EEDC40DD.jpeg
    F18490AA-9D85-48C0-B857-2638EEDC40DD.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 142
Hi Tony - where/how are you using this? Are you ushing it into the connections so it makes contact with the metal parts? Or on the threading where the connectors screw together (kind of like plumbers or teflon tape when installing a shower head or the like)? Are you just smearing a bit on the plastic area such as Lost Ring posted with the silicone grease on his battery connections? I'm not familiar with delectric gel, is it the same as the silicone grease?

Thanks
Ken, no it’s not silicone. I spread it on the charger contacts on the back of the head. If you use it near water you can put some on the headphone connections too. It’s used to assist electrical contacts like spark plugs in your engine.