Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MMK Noob

Fearless Freep

Hi folks, brand new MMK owner here and looking for a "MMK For Dummies" type instruction to start. I've read the manual and think I have a handle on it but being simple-minded, I try to use the KISS principle. I'm primarily a relic hunter in woods and fields so I want to have a starting point on setting up the detector. I have a Whites MXT that was basically turn on and go whereas this beauty is much more complicated. I can't wait to get out with it in the next week or so. I downloaded the latest update and will be doing it shortly. Hoping to get some help with the initial set up for hunting. This site rocks by the way!

You can do the same with the MMK. Turn on, pick a mode, GB and hunt.

I'd stick with factory settings to start, and adjust as you get used to the machine.

If it's running really quiet you can always increase the gain and lower the disc a bit

I’d suggest starting out in 3 tones. It’s the smoothest and easiest to use. Keep everything else at its default, then start to experiment with the different options as you get to know the detector.

You may also want to turn down the iron audio. I like hearing the iron but like it at a lower audio level.

For me, relic hunting iron infested sites, I really like the 4-TONE mode, turn the iron audio down to 1-2, slow down in the heavy iron, and don't be afraid to dig the low conductors, the silver will come through. I crank up the sensitivity as high as I can, typically 97-98 and dug some deep silver out of sites hunted to death (got a 1794 two reale and a seated dime both at a measured 10" deep!!).

I love the MMK for relic hunting, it's just killer in iron. loves silver and goes deep, they really hit a home run. Also if you get into really, really heavy iron, you can use the 3-TONE mode with the sensitivity at 89 or less and it uses an ultra fast recovery speed, fastest I've ever seen.

Oh man, I have so much to learn about this detector...can't wait to get out there and do it. Weather is cooperating but fishing season is here for the next month which will curtail my dirt fishing. As a weekend warrior I only have so much time! Thanks for all the advice folks.

Sadly most of my detecting is on hold until fall/winter. It appears the CA drought is over, and my sites are complete jungles now...so I must wait until the winter comes and the grasses/weeds (hopefully) die off and I can hunt again. There are a few places out in the middle of absolutely no where that I wouldn't mind mother nature to have a few grass fires, nothing but snakes and sagebrush, but that would be too much to ask I suppose :rofl: