Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Monte can you comment on this video.

I watched Ziggy's video of the Racer w/small DD coil and Vista w/14" DD coil. To watch the video at first might leave you thinking the Racer didn't work properly, but it did.

First, read some of his comments on Tom D's forum about that test and he stated this:

"No worries mate it's fine..... The ring on it's own came in at 35-37 If I recall and should of show that in video but I also put ID filter at zero and still couldn't get a signal off the ring."

I added the bold to call attention to the ring he used as reading a '35'-'37' and, by design, this would be in the upper-end of the Iron Range audio ID and visual Target ID. So my first thought was, just how 'gold' is that supposed "gold ring?" yes, sometimes gold jewelry items can read somewhat low on a conductivity scale, and I do have a few small 'tricky' .750 [size=small](18K)[/size] gold targets in my Test Tube of challenge targets, but they are not in a round shape like the ring.

Matter of fact, that also leads to the question about the ring used, is it a completely circular ring without a split in it? If it is as spilt ring, it will have poorer response and read lower. But if it is a whole, complete ring I would really like to know what it is comprised of because I have tested over a dozen gold rings, men's, women's, children's, and several very thing or small, and any ring the size I saw on that video, that was truly a high-quality alloy gold ring, would have a higher Target ID than '35' to '37.'

Okay, back to the video. Go into it about ±48 seconds and he makes a short sweep over the ring, only, and you can hear a proper response from the target. Then listen again to the coil being swept over the iron nail and ring. If the search coil is not swept too fast and you listen to the audio responses, you will hear the low iron audio on the nail as well as the adjacent ring, but that's to be expected ... if the ring has a Target ID signature of '35' to '37' in the Iron Audio range.

Monte

[size=small]PS: Remember one of the many repeated comment I make .... "There is no such thing as a 'perfect' metal detector." That applies to what you could see in the video. No, not the test demonstrated, but lay the box down because he has my Nail Board Performance Test on the side. Match up the four iron nails and use the Racer w/smaller coil and Vista w/bigger coil and just barely reject the Iron Nails. He used an ID Filter (Discrimination) setting of '22' and I run my FORS CoRe and Racer at '23' when in nail infestations.

Then put a coin, such as a USA Zinc cent or Indian Head cent, in the center #1 circle and compare the two detectors.[/size]

Hey Monte...

I responded to that thread on Tom D's forum, I basically said my cheaper Outlaw passed that test in the video.

I used the smallest ring I have, VDI on the MX5 at just below nickel at (15-16) and a big rusty square nail.

The Outlaw also passes the nail board test with ease, whereas the MX5 does not on coin positon #2 and sweep direction #4. But in the ground where it counts the MX5 does as well as the Outlaw. I think we all should shy away from video results done in this manner and just go hunting in the dirt. My 2¢

the problem was the small coil was over powered by the iron , but the big coil was not bigger coils sometimes do better than small ones but i heard the Racer squeaking on that gold to just not like the big coil

Hey Gunnar

I always thought that you could hunt closer to iron with a small coil, whether it is concentric or DD:shrug: