Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Mounting hardware problem

stetsonhatman

I fought through UPS bureaucracy and iPhone 5 fanatics to get my new Deus today but I can't assemble it. I must be cursed. The coil mounting nuts and bolts will not play nice, both sets :shocked: I looked at the bolts with my jeweler's loop and the problem is obvious: the first 1/3 of the bolt threads were not cleanly made. I have worked with plastic nuts and bolts before and they can be a pain. I need the same size steel nut and bolt to clean up the threads of the plastic ones. I'm guessing that they are metric but I cannot find a spec for them just the part number for the mounting hardware kit. If anyone knows the size please let me know otherwise I'll take one to the hardware store and guess which is tricky with plastic. I have to fix this tomorrow! Not only do I want to swing my Deus for the first time but far worse my wife will never let me live it down that I can't assemble something doesn't really require assembly. Sheez

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Could you please post a pic of the problem as I have never heard of that before? I can't imagine that two sets of bolts were manufactured improperly. I would be happy to help you with assembly. PM me your phone number and I'll giv eyou a call in the morning to see what's going on. -Marc

If you have a grinder just taper the first couple of threads on the bolts so the nuts will slip over them. Hope this helps good luck

I had a similar problem with the nut initially wanting to cross thread. Depending on your problem, you may be able to eventually guide the nut into the correct threads.
Otherwise you could go to the hardware and purchase a temporary bolt/nut combination until you get the problem resolved. There is usually quite an assortment at ACE or other well stocked hardware store.

Thank you all for the support.

I went to Lowes this morning and bought a M6 bolt and nut along with a 10mm wrench to hold it. I figured out what happened with the XP bolts. There is a ridge running the length of the bolt on top of the threads and another on the bottom where the mold halves join. I could feel it with my fingers but it is very pronounced under 30x magnification. The mold parted just slightly allowing the liquid nylon? to seep out when the bolt was made. Both of my bolts are from the same mold so they have the same problem. I used a file to knock the ridge down and the steel M6 nut with some Teflon lube to clean the threads up. I have my Deus assembled now /cheer! I'll send a note to XP suggesting that they keep an eye on the bolts. I worked in medical manufacturing for 10 years and it's human nature to pay attention to the more sophisticated components and take for granted the simpler items.

I'm headed for the beach! if you see a detectorist with a Deus, a Stetson Panama hat and a bemused or confused expression that will most likely be me. /wave

I ran into the same problem with my 2 sets but eventually got them to start. The threads were definitely off...:)