Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MXT won't respond to a certain size ring?

A

Anonymous

Hello,
I've owned an MXT in the past and considered it one of Whites best constructed detectors, Now one of my hunting partners has one.
When I was showing my friend what different size gold rings read on the MXT meter this larger certain size ring would not respond to his MXT, The ring contains both white/yellow 14k gold alloy. It's large mans ring mostly made of white gold with the outer skin of yellow gold, For some reason the "his that is" MXT will not respond to this ring. It hit the smaller gold rings well including the larger gold rings but failed to respond to this ring.
Now, I'm wondering if there is a void of some sort meaning the MXT will miss certain conductors but still lock on with all the others? It's a mystery I'm going to look into again when I meet up with our friend with his MXT, I'm going to try out this ring on an DFX to see if it does the same. Any of the others experience the same?
Thanks for reading my post,
Paul (Ca)

HI Paul,
This is interesting and I would like to hear what you find out the next time you see him and do some comparing. My first though was he was in the coin jewely mode with the trigger switch in the forward postion to reject pulltabs as this is where this ring probably will read at. I am sure you checked that as you do know your detectors ( do some nice mods too)and this is a common problem some have.
When you say it wouldnt get a signal on it was that in all modes of operation (coin & Jewery, relic and all metal mode) and what about the disc settings.
I think if it still does this after trying it with another MXT or DFX and they pick it up I would be getting your freinds MXT boxed up and sent in to be checked over by Whites as this dont sound normal or good. The one my wife and myself use I have never seen anything like this, but maye there is one ring like this mine wont either, but havent noticed it yet.
We will be waiting to see what you find out.
Rick

If the trigger is locked forward in the Coin & Jewelry mode then it is most likely being notched out.
This is definitely NOT a typical issue of concern with the MXT.
<EM><STRONG>Monte

I agree with Rick and Monte, check th eposition of the PP trigger, and as they said if that is not it I would have this checked out, I have had mine for right at a year and it has never failer to respond to anything I don't have disced out. The ring is real aint it ??
Ray

Thanks Rick and Monte for the reply,
Even though the mans ring is large, because of the white gold and some yellow gold it responds a hair under nickel. One of my friends DFX responded strong to this same rind this afternoon reading 19 Digtal on the DFX. No break in the ring "it's wide and solid". Disc was set to the off position
I should have checked it on relic mode or in all-metal, I only checked the ring on the mode switch in the up position above Relic. All other gold rings ranging from foil size up to zinc reading his MXT hit them strong. Really, I truly believe the MXT has a blank area that will miss this certain conductor. I'll try it again when hooking up with our new friend and try the other modes and even do a ground reading on it, If it still continues to not respond I'll sent the ring to a dealer up North or Jeff to test out on one of their MXT detectors. Then, if the other MXT units pick up this same gold ring I'll have our friend send in his unit for repair.
Our other detectors respond to this same ring crisp and strong, Jim's DFX, My Sovereign, Explorer, Goldquest Pi, HH Pi, Baron along with other machines I have. Looks like the MXT won't respond to this certain gold ring meaning it's missing other conductors that fall in the same range. I'm enclosing a picture of the ring, It's a large ring but due to the white gold and yellow gold trim on the outside it reads a hair lower than nickel. DFX read it at 19 and my Explorer read it at 5 on Digital.
I'll keep you posted,
Thanks again, Paul (Ca)

This is lower than the pulltab range so even if the trigger was in the forward positon it would have read it if the disc was set low enough. If you get a chance to try this again I would try the differnt modes to see if that makes any difference. My wedding band that is white gold will read like alum foil at a 18 on the MXT I beleive and a 4 on my Explorer and give a solid hit on the MXT at the first preset, but I have the 6X9 coil on it.
Rick

if you get the same results with another MXT. I use a Coin$trike quite a bit and found that when I lay a modern square tab on the ground at just the right distance from a clad dime the averaged reading is iron. That doesn't make any sense unless there is a fault in the software.
Tom

Hello Tom,
I'll recheck the same ring again this week when I see David again with his MXT, I really hope it's his MXT with the problem rather than it be a flaw with the MXT.
Best wishes,
Paul

Thanks Rick,
Like you say, in this case it still should have responded to that ring because it's a hair under nickel "not below foil range" as long as the disc is not set too high.I had the disc set in the off position when testing out the rings. Yesterday, Jim's DFX still hit this same ring in the coin/jewelry mode.
Based from your "white gold" wedding band, it's even a bit lower than the one I used for the test. Yours hit at 4 with the Explorer while my ring hit's at 5 with the Explorer in Digtal. Your MXT responded at 18 with your wedding band while Jim's DFX hit my ring at 19. One would think both the DFX and MXT incorporate the same coin/jewelry reject even though they are two different breeds. I truly hope it's David's MXT that is not operating like it should rather than it be an MXT flaw.
I'll have to hookup with our friend again and test out this ring to his MXT again in all modes "relic, prospecting, regular and coin/jewelry" I was pressed for time when showing "David" how different rings show on his MXT and didn't have the time to test out the other modes, I'll keep you guys posted as how it responds to all modes in a few days.
Thanks again,
Paul (Ca)