Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Buddy And I Each Got A Gold Coin Today!

John-Edmonton

Staff member
Out gold coin shopping today with my buddy. Each year, I go out and treat myself to a gold coin, using the money I find metal detecting to subsidize it. Been doing it for many years. It goes into a storage box at the bank and the coins will be gifted to my kids when my days are done. I purchased the Canada 2012 Cariboo Gold Rush Panning Sluice with Camel. Camels you say?

In 1862, an enterprising local merchant, Frank Laumeister, having learned that the United States government had successfully used camels for transport in Texas, Arizona, and California, brought 21 camels to carry loads through the Fraser River canyon to the Cariboo region. People mistakenly believed camels could work without water for days on end and travel unprecedented distances with massive loads. Unfortunately, the camels carried rather standard loads for rather standard distances. Their desert-evolved feet could not withstand British Columbia's treacherous mountain terrain.

My buddy purchased a gold British Sovereign. It's a very collectible coin and was used as legal tender back in the day. Wealthy people often carried several of these in their wallets.

DSC_0161 (2).JPG

What a beautiful coin! I only have one, a $20.00 gold piece minted in San Francisco in 1906. Very important date in S.F. History. The earthquake caused the buildings to catch fire and destroyed most of the city. Now it's being destroyed by humans. So sad for what was once a beautiful tourist area and great place to live.