Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My" Ed Like" Month

RLOH

The month of October was "Ed Like" for me also. I have my favorite park, my go to park that has produced hundreds of silver coins over the years. People who work there ask me why I keep coming there. Partially, it is an absolutely beautiful place and I find enough to make it worth my while.

The month started out with a V nickel and Barber dime. Two days later, two Indians from the same area. This place is huge and I divide it into five areas. I might hunt the same area two or three times in a row. As I moved around to different areas, I kept finding silver almost every time. My totals for the month were 2 V's, 5 Buffaloes, 4 silver war nickels, 1 Barber dime, 12 mercs, 4 roosies, and an astounding 108 wheats.

This park dates from the early 1900's so that is why most of the older coins I find are from the late 1800's or early 1900's. It is my belief that I function better in the near perfect fall weather(50-60 degrees with no humidity) For the record, I detected this park 16 time in October.

The SE Pro I have is in near pristine condition and I keep almost the entire detector wrapped with a soft friction type tape. I have had to replace the re-chargeable battery, but other than that, it is bulletproof. While not my first SE, I have used this model detector for into the 1000's of hours over the years. I have settled on settings that I hardly ever change so what and how I hear targets is almost always identical. I dig many nickel signals and while I sometimes get bogged down with some trash, I find loads of them. I am not wealthy enough to have more than two detectors and I have debated selling the SE and getting a Nox 800. I had a Nox 600 last year and really liked it and had some success with it in the couple of months I had it. I only sold it from an ergonomic trait of it. The angle of the handle is to straight up and down and killed my wrist. I have had numerous operations on my wrist as the result of a motorcycle wreck(compound fracture with both forearm bones sticking out. The outside bone is permanently dislocated) I would have to fight through some discomfort if I bought an 800. I had to give up on an Etrac because of it's handle angle.

I have seen some SE Pro's selling in the 450.00 range which is the bargain of all bargains for a serious coin hunter. People like Ed will probably get more people reaching for their SE's that were relegated to "backup duty"

[size=medium]Hey RLOH, I totally enjoyed your post. I, too, have a go to park and Ed and Tony just came down and hunted it with me. Tony used the NOX 800 and Ed his SE Pro. I usually use the SE Pro exclusively, but my hunting partner bought both NOX's, so I tried the 600. I did find a war nickel and a dozen wheats, but Ed & Tony kicked my butt for the day, find lots of Indians, a few V's, a couple of Barber dimes and even Ed's flying eagle. I think I'll be sticking with my SE Pro until my body can't hold it up any longer.

Congrats on the great success and here's hoping it lasts a very long time!

-- Jeff --[/size]

Gotta love those old parks. I bought a new XP Deus earlier this year but I refuse to give up my SE Pro when it comes to park hunting. Only problem with the SE Pro is of course the weight. After about 3 hours of detecting, my back is shot. The XP is super light and I do like it when hitting old cellar holes or farm fields. I too dig a ton of nickel signals since most high tones are long gone. Still get fooled by the beaver tails and can slaw but I do enjoy digging the V and Buffalo nickels. The park I'm hunting is circa 1870 but had a lot of history previous to construction. Colonial coins, buttons and relics still appear once in a while. I've been pulling coins out of there for 32 years and no reason to believe there's not another few years of good finds remaining.