Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first skeleton key...and a mixed bag of old and new

REVIER

Back to the woods yesterday looking for old coins.
You never know what you will find here, the area goes back to the turn of the century as a recreational horse trail and camping site, now it has bicycle paths carved into it all over.
Iron and foil is my enemy here, horse shoes, horse shoe nails and all sizes and pieces of old cans all over the place, plus you would not believe the amount of tin and aluminum foil that is still here and that has been here for over 100 years...evidently that stuff just never breaks down and goes away.
I come here because it is always surprising at the things you might find, I have found silver and wheaties here but a Barber coin of any kind is always my goal and I hope to find one of those bucket list coins on some visit soon.

Today was a mixed bag of goodies from very old to ultra modern.

My first skeleton key is the best find, I never found one before so this was cool.
From the amount of rust it looks like it has been in the ground a long while.

Not 8" away from this key I found another one, a GM key that dates from between 1935 and 1966.

The pen bottom is just some throwaway junk, but this one is a little special.
Imprinted on this thing it says:

"Glasgow Savings Bank
Our 110th Anniversary"

A little research shows this bank started in 1836 so this pen was made in 1946.
I like it when my finds date themselves for me.

The green wheatie is dated 1938.
The Schwinn bike computer is of course very modern.

I am getting very comfortable hunting in maxed out all metal settings and I also switched back and forth to disc at a setting of 4 and I was still able to avoid most of that trash and still pick out these good targets.

This is a big area and finds are few and far between, but I always come away from this place with something interesting.

Cool looking key.:thumbup: With your determination I have no doubt sooner or later that Barber coin will find it's way under your coil.:detecting:

I started detecting in 1999 and didn't find my first and only Skelton key until a couple of years ago. Seemed like everyone one had one and I couldn't pull one out to save my life. I was all smiles when I dug mine as I'm sure you were too! Great find!! :hot: