Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My new G2

sekypaleo

I received my G2 on Friday and was able to take it out for a couple of hours on Sunday. Hands down the best detector I have ever used for ease of use and target ID and disc in trashy areas. This same park gave me alot of problems with EMI with my Omega...G2 was all the way up on gain and quiet.Nothing spectacular found in the short hunt, but this weekend I will be heading south to see how it does on some CW relic sites. One thing I did notice, and I believe Morelic said his did it also, is that within the first hour of hunting with a brand new battery, the battery indicator was already at half charge...anybody else?

The first time yes then on the second battery it was fine. Good luck coming south, where are you heading?

That's kind of what I experienced with the battery to Ken.----My wife & I both own & use G2's and at first, I thought they "ate up" the batteries pretty fast.-----But now, they are lasting very well, funny huh?-----It's probably just me as I didn't actually time usage on them, I should have.--------Del

I'm on battery number 7 in my G2. The first ones showed all three segments when they were fresh, then dropped to two segments after 1 hour to 2 hours of use. It depended on the battery used and the length of time I hunted when they were fresh. I never use a rechargeable battery. The current one is an Ultralife Lithium and it kept all three segments illuminated for about 2 to 2

Heh Ken, I hunt mainly in NE Tenn., SW Va. and SE Ky since my parents live in that area and my dad hunts with me. I envy people who live in the Northern Ga area...alot of great sites there.

Monte-----Have you ever used those Eveready Gold batteries?---If so, what do you think of them?----I bought some in the 9v alkalines when they are on sale at Bi Mart for $7.99 (per 8 pack).-------Del

D&P-OR said:
Monte-----Have you ever used those Eveready Gold batteries?---If so, what do you think of them?----I bought some in the 9v alkalines when they are on sale at Bi Mart for $7.99 (per 8 pack).-------
Del, For almost a year now I have been using a lot of different 9-Volt batteries with all of these models. Early on I was keeping track of the battery life, as well as the search coil used and the types of sites hunted (target-sparse or loaded with junk and/or coins) and I narrowed my battery life thoughts as follows:

1.. The whole idea is to get out and have fun, and part of the 'fun factor' is not having to worry about batteries that drain too quickly. I like them to all stay close to the 20-21 hours range so I don't have to make frequent changes.

2.. Not that batteries are all that expensive, as long as you shop around and get a decent, longer-lasting 9-Volt alkaline battery.

I had a good supply of 9-V batteries last March of various manufacture. Most were alkaline batteries, but I also had four UltraLife Lithium batteries that had an expiration date for the end of 2009. Also, trying to use an assortment of models and forgetting my supply of alkalines at home, I rounded up some cheap 'Heavy Duty' batteries at Dollar Tree, so I used them as well. I had new alkalines that were Ray-O-Vac, Energizer Gold, Energized (silver housing), and Duracell. By Christmas I was down to only one UltraLife that I put in the G2, and a Duracell in the Omega, and an Energizer in the Gamma.

My mom, who is on a tight budget, usually buys me 48 Kirkland AA alkaline batteries at Costco, but it was a tighter budget this year. Instead, she bought me a pack of UtiliTech AA alkaline batteries on a sale at Lowe's and it was 48 for only $6.00! Then she bought me a pack of 9-Volt alkaline batteries at Walgreen's (their house brand).

Of all the 9-V alkaline batteries I have used this past 12 months (almost) the worst of them so far as lasting long, for the dollar, were the Ray-O-Vacs. Next to the bottom were the heavy-duty Dollar Tree 9-Volts, and very close to that were the Energized Gold. The longest-lasting 9-V alkaline battery has been the Duracell, which I anticipated, but a decent 2nd place are the 9-V Walgreen's alkaline batteries. An almost tie with those were the silver housing Energizer batteries.

So, if I was setting out on a road trip and wanted to make sure I stocked up on 9-V batteries, I would shop for Duracell's. Being budget conscious while simply making quick work of city sites, the best dollar value have been the Walgreen's 9-V alkaline batteries. I am not positive but I think she paid something like $8 for either 8 or 10 of them.

Monte

Thanks Monte------Yeah, I've used the Walgreens alkaline batteries and like them, I thought they held up well.------Sounds like your Mom paid about the same price for the 9v alkalines Walgreen brand as the price for the Ever Ready Golds at Bi Marts.-----I've been watching for the sales they have (on occasion) here in Baker City at our Bi Marts store & trying to "stock up" at that time.-------I've used the Golds in my other detectors also with pretty good results.----I've never had a leakage problem with them & that's more than I can say for my experience with Energizers.----------Del

It seems there is a consistent "love at first use" with the new G2/GB Pro. Even before you can get into the fine tuning and personal preferences you know it's a keeper. That also seems to come from people that had other brands, like me. I'm just glad I took the risk of trying something different. Now I don't feel the need to.

As for the EMI on the Omega I still don't get it. There are large areas of the city my Omega gets all jittery, but never the GB Pro. Sunday I faced the dark shadows of high voltage lines and walked up and down their path with the Omega without issues. That's in a part of the city that also does not make it go jittery. I had my Omega cranked up to 90. It paid off by giving me a decent day probably because most detectorists stay away from the area of the power lines.

I think working power line areas might be a good tactic with the G2 in hoping the area has not been hit very hard.

Hey you need to remember that you can get EMI with the G2 as well. I hunted an old fairground over the weekend that has been hunted by every known detector in the world, I believe that even a Russia Rex detector has been there too. But, I had to turn it down to 75 sens. now does that mean I am not getting down in depth, the answer to that question is no. But I am less sensitive and have to slow down to hunt? Yes. You may have a fast recovery between target's but that doesn't mean you speed up to the point of losing depth and the treasure you are trying to seek.

I find on the G2 that a reduction in gain down to say, 75 has little difference in depth, just target volume. I can compare the G2 at full gain, kind of like the Tesoro machines "Super Tuned". 75% gain as being benchmark and 99% gain as supertuned.......Just my thoughts.........Mark

Interesting thought but supertuning a tesoro in addition to amplifying deep signal volume also produces a 2-3 inch depth increase...at least that is how much I got while supertuning my Vaquero.