Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My thoughts on log amps

A

Anonymous

Hi all,
I have not checked the PI classroom in the last few weeks and it looks as if things have really taken off! I will try to get up to speed with you guys and maybe even contribute as time allows.
So one idea I had thought about a while ago, and one that Eric and maybe others have already messed with, is the use of a log amp in the front-end. The exponentially decaying pulse response presents a lot of dynamic range and a log amp seems to be a good approach in making the signal more palatable to either analog processing or to a high-speed sampling ADC for digital processing.
Analog Devices (with whom I design high-speed ADCs) makes several potential candidates. The AD8307 has 92dB of dynamic range and goes DC-500MHz. There are other similar parts such as the AD8310 and the AD606. I have not thoroughly dug through the data sheets to see what the differences are, but it appears to be mostly BW and dynamic range. I do know that the AD6xx parts are a little older, and the AD83xx parts are the latest.
One nice thing about the PI waveform is that it has very predictable behavior versus time: it always decays. ADI also makes variable gain amplifiers that have "linear-in-dB" gain control; that is, they have log-vs-time gain, basically a time gain amplifier (TGA). The AD603 is one such part, and the AD8307 data sheet has an apps note that shows the 603+8307 set up as a 120dB TGA. Also note that both parts have good noise performance, each about 1.5nV/rtHz.
To me, this seems to be the way to go, but I would like others to take a look at it and post their thoughts. Visit the ADI link below and look at the VGA section and the log amp section, see what's available, and what might be a good solution to try. Once we figure out the best approach, I will be glad to get a handful of samples and send some out to people who are seriously in a prototyping stage.
Finally, I would like to hear some thoughts on ADC requirements for doing DSP analysis. Without a logamp, I think the ADC would need a lot of dynamic range, maybe 14-16 bits. With the logamp front-end, an 8-bit converter should be plenty. But what about input BW and sample rate? BW appears to me to be rather low, an exponential decay in 20us does not present much frequency info beyond a few hundred kHz I think. And how many samples would you want in the decay window? Depends on the processing you want to do no doubt, so I'm looking for ideas.
As a datapoint on available ADCs, a design I worked on was released yesterday: 14 bits with 65MHz sample rate. The problem with it (for detectors) is power: 1.3 watts @ 5v! That's one reason why I think the logamp front-end is important, 8-bit ADCs are in the 100mW ballpark, and cheap.

Hi all; I like the idea of the idea of using the time gain amp. It is simple and may be easier to compensate for time-gain characteristics than a log amp. When I measure the signal out of the first stage of my Garrett XL 500 I see a much faster rise time of about 450nS. The XL 500 uses an old 709 at a gain of 1000 but has some special compensation to make it very fast at high gains ( I think greater than about a 500MHz GBW product) Also, this is a clipped signal at this point and hence the risetime is a fraction of that of the whole signal really being related to just the first few millivolts of the rising edge of the signal after it comes out of the diode clipper. It requires a very high sample rate to digitize this edge and subtle differences in this signal make a real difference. For example a nickle at 12 inches is detectable with a barely audible difference but makes an almost imperceptable difference in the waveform after this first stage. I posted earlier that it might be a good idea to use 3 stages, each with a gain of ten and with its own clipper,rather than a single stage of much higher gain. The idea here was to reduce the overdrive recovery time of the amplifier when it was driven into saturation. I have never measured how long this time is but I think it may be in the tens of uS when the amp is hit really hard. Maybe a single stage of a gain of ten followed by a time gain amplifier would work to keep the signal in the linear range for a longer period of time, this then driving a high speed but lower resolution A>D and the data being digitally processed. I would love to experiment with this but just can not seem to find the time to build up a high quality front end to test these theories. I can help make measurements if someone else can craft the hardware. I work for Tektronix and have access to some reasonably high quality digital scopes. I also have a fair background in measurement technology. I have no commercial interest in any of this- it is just a hobby for me so I would be happy to share the results freely.Any comments?