Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My XLPro is on its' way, A few questions please.

Horsecreeker

Hello All. I discovered your site a few weeks ago while trying to decipher all the advertisements to pin down which detector to buy. After a lot of reading your comments, it was easy to buy the XLPRO. I live in Southern Illinois and have several old house places to search in.
Questions please - I have read the comment "Hot Rocks" and would appreciate someone telling me what it means. This part of the country has basically sandstone, both soft and hard, and, if "Hot Rocks" doesn't have anything to do with the rock substrate, you have probably snorted coffee through your nose by now. OK OK, I'm learning.

How can I tell if my soil is mineralized? How does the XLPRO let me know if the soil composition has changed and what do I do to compensate?

The detector has a auto ground balance so it will change with the soil. Just take your time and get a small coil for the areas that have a lot of iron and trash...old homesteads and such. Do not worry about depth use the presets and learn the machine then try a little more depth but be careful.

It is a great machine and geared more towards older coins but loves all coins and rings that are gold come in for me at pulltabs so you have to dig the trash to get the gold.

Has anyone tried the ProXL with a 12" or 15" or a widescan[if they make them.] What is the absolute depth, TID depth[need not be accurate-generally this situation has coins reading higher]recovery speed, and do you hunt in GEB MAX or GEB Disc?

Without doing alot of soil test you cant' tell if the soil comp. has changed unless you can actually see a change in the substrate or color ect.. In grass thats hard to see. The easiest way would be to check and or reset the GEB on your machine if you're moving around alot. If you're set in auto-trac the machine will pretty much do this for you and actually improve performance as you hunt. If you'er locked on you need to check periodically and reset as needed. As for telling what a 'hotrock' is , thats more tricky. A pocket of soil that is high in minerals will show like a 'hotrock' and the machine acts erratic. I think the machine is (for lack of a better discription) confused, when it hits these 'hotpockets'.The GEB or Ground Exclusion Balance, is not able to compensate for it. If when you are hunting and the machine starts acting erratic, Re balance and carry on.

Fred, Thanks a bunch for the information. Got my XLPRO yesterday and am eager to start using it. Guess I will just have to find my first "Hotrock".