Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NBPT with the FORS CoRe and Racer, and 'Pro Pack' search coils.

Monte

[size=small]
Note: This is an edited repost of last weeks evaluations. The original post and entire thread were deleted by Findmall because I goofed and mentioned Nail Board Performance Test kits for sale. I was 'reminded,' after it was zapped, "You cannot just sell things on our forums. Never could. You can sell one item every 90 days on the classified..."
So, sorry Guvner and others. I have deleted any such reference in this post.
[/size]

[size=x-large]The Challenge:[/size]
Used the following detectors to test their ability to handle a proven test scenario of dense iron nails.:
Nokta FORS CoRe w/4.[size=small]7[/size]X5.[size=small]2[/size] DD and standard 7X11 DD
... and ...
Makro Racer w/4.[size=small]7[/size]X5.[size=small]2[/size] DD and standard 7X11 DD and 5½X10 DD [size=small](solid design)[/size]​

[size=x-large]The Settings Used:[/size]
The detector settings used for comparison, matching the same settings on the two models tested.:
Sensitivity [size=small](Nokta)[/size] and Gain [size=small](Makro)[/size] at '25' .. '35' .. '50' .. '70' .. '90' [size=small](Using a logical lower-end setting for very trashy conditions to a high setting for best depth.)
... and ...[/size]
ID Masking [size=small](Nokta)[/size] and ID Filter [size=small](Makro)[/size] at '10' [size=small](most iron accepted)[/size] .. '23' [size=small](iron nail rejection)[/size] .. '40' [size=small](high Discriminate setting to reject most iron)[/size]​

[size=x-large]Two Nail Board Types Used[/size]​
I used my 'original' Nail Board Performance Test [size=small](With rusty nails, as found at the late 1800's town site.)[/size]
... and ...
A Nail Board Performance Test 'kit' [size=small](That is exactly the same, except it has new 'store-bought' Nails.)[/size]
[size=small]Note: Prior to making these NBPT 'kits' I had some gathered-up old rusty Nails, and then I matched the sizes with New Nails. All the nails are magnetic, and
I have tested both types of Nail Boards, old nails and new, and the results are similar. Bad ferrous nails are bad ferrous nails, no batter how ugly or nice they look.[/size]​

[size=x-large]The Results:[/size]​
Excellent:
Both detectors, using all five Sensitivity/Gain settings and '10' and '23' and '40' ID Masking/ID Filter [size=small](Discrimination)[/size] settings gave 8-out-of-8 hits with:
The Nokta FORS CoRe w/4.[size=small]7[/size]X5.[size=small]2[/size] DD and the Makro Racer w/4.[size=small]7[/size]X5.[size=small]2[/size] DD and 5½X10 DD
... also ...
Both detectors, using all five Sensitivity/Gain settings and the '10' and '23' ID Masking/ID Filter [size=small](Discrimination)[/size] settings gave 8-out-of-8 hits with:
The Nokta FORS CoRe w/7X11 DD and the Makro Racer w/7X11 DD​

Very Good-Passing:
Both detectors, using all five Sensitivity/Gain settings and a '40' ID Masking/ID Filter [size=small](Discrimination)[/size] setting gave
6-out-of-8 hits ..and occasionally a so-so 7-out-of-8 hits .. with:
The Nokta FORS CoRe w/7X11 DD and the Makro Racer w/7X11 DD​

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **​

I know the Racer standard coil is stated as 7X11 DD, but it measures slightly more. I'll refer to them as 7X11 coils as such w/o any fractional differences.

We used a lot of detectors and coils on the NBPT and both the FORS and Racer provide better performance with their standard [size=small](larger that I would use in trash)[/size] 7X11 Double-D search coils. Even better than a lot of the competition with a 4½", 5", 6" and bigger coils with similar Discrimination settings. I hunt many heavily iron littered sites, both away from town and in urban settings with current or former renovation or demolition debris, and the FORS and Racer performance on the NBPT was a good part of what won my attention and respect ... and made these models my top-two regular-use detectors. My primary coils for the denser iron littered sites are the smaller coils on either model, and the 5½X10 DD on the Racer.

Monte

Thanks for this great review!

Great info Monte. Thanks for sharing. Quick question, Besides the way they are designed, what performance differences have you noticed in your test and use in the field?

Thanks, Tim