Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need a good mind!

Low-Boy/LCPM

I have the 6000XL pro and really do like it very much...I'm looking for tips on ground balancing and if you want to hunt in all metal do you have to ground bal in that mood.

They say to get better depth you can change the sig bal can you do that in the GEB/DIC. It reads you squeeze the trigger and release it and then turn clockwise the sig bal a little. ground bal and then hold the trigger and lift the coil.

Can you give me more info and any tips and tricks you guys have learned?

Thanks

have only used GEB/Dic but The way I adjust my sig bal is: When first turning on I run at P (preset) on every thing except I do back down the Disc a little, I hold the coil about waist high and push the auto GEB switch forward to AIR and release it, then lower it to the ground with coil on the ground I pull the auto GEB switch back to GND/AUTO TRAC and hold it back until it sets the tone. Then while holding the trigger I bob the coil up an down 6-8" and listen to the threshold. If it increases or decreases I adjust the Sig Bal and repeat the process until the threshold is fairly stable. It has worked very well for me but on the other hand for the most part my soil is mot very highly mineralized.
I'm sure there is someone on here who can answer this better and probably straighten me out. All I know is it seems to work. I do plan to experiment with the all metal this spring when I get out. I know I by no means have the capabilities of this one all figured out yet.
HH
Bill

The way Whites told me how to do it is to do what you did but...sqeeze trigger release turn sig bal a little turn clockwise re ground bal and then bob the coil repeat to get the best depth till the threshold starts to change.

Bill pretty well summed it up. None of us are experts and we all learn something everytime we turn on the detector and go into the field. But, let me try to explain some of the setup procedures you may want to keep in mind.

The GEB modes of this series detectors are automatic ground exclusion balance modes. AUTO GEB is just that, AUTOmatic Ground Exclusion Balancing. Even though it is automatic, you will have to set it properly to begin with.

AUTO GEB can be set in any of the GEB modes. But, you should only check the AUTO GEB and SIG BAL from the GEB/NORM mode. Whites has made that easy. When you are operating in the GEB/Disc mode, pulling the trigger temporarily puts the detector into the GEB/NORM mode. That is why you can check the balance by pulling the trigger while hunting in GEB/DISC mode. It temporarily puts it into GEB/NORM mode.

Setting the Ground Balance and Signal Balance:
The AUTO GEB toggle is spring loaded. (in the forward AIR position) To set the GB level, squeeze and release the trigger on the handle. Hold the coil in the air and adjust the threshold tuner so you have a faint background hum. Push the toggle forward to AIR until it beeps. Then, lower the coil to the ground (where you are certain there is no metal nearby), pull the toggle back to GND/AUTO TRAC. Hold the coil steady until it beeps again. You can return the toggle to the middle position, which locks the setting your ears have determined make the detector balanced. OR you can leave it in the lower position and let the AUTO TRAC update the setting to accomodate the soil. (If your soil varies a lot, you might want to hunt in AUTO. If the soil is stable, locking it in will operate with a smoother threshold and I have found a bit faster response/reset) Now, squeeze and hold the trigger again, while raising the coil up in the air. If the threshold sound decreases, that means you have some "bad ground" and you will have to adjust the SIG BAL control counter clockwise. Remember, every time you change the Signal Balance control, you must do the GND/AUTO TRAC procedure mentioned above. Finally, when you raise the coil and there is not any change in the threshold sound, you can start hunting.

If, when you raised the coil after setting the GB, you found the threshold remained steady, you can try to optimize the detector's performance by adjusting the SIG BAL knob clockwise. The idea behind all of this is to set the SIG BAL as high as you can without overloading the AUTO GEB circuit, causing erratic behavior. Typically, the higher you can operate it without making the threshold unstable, the deeper you can detect. As well, the lower the mineralization, the higher you are likely able to run the Signal Balance. (remember the bad ground scenerio mentioned above?) Again, remember, each time you move the SIG BAL knob, you have to reset your AUTO/GEB. (see above steps) Once you have found the maximum setting for your SIG BAL, and you are able to squeeze the trigger and raise the coil without causing the threshold to change, you have successfully set the GB and tuned your detector for maximum Signal balance.

Remember, when ever you change your SIG BAL, you will need to set the AUTO/GEB again. And, anytime you make a mode change, you need to pull the trigger to reset the detector's circuitry.

If you are hunting in GEB/NORM mode, you should pull that trigger every couple minutes to reset the threshold hum. That is because the GEB/NORM mode is a non-motion mode and the threshold is more likely to drift due to RFI and mineralization fluctuations.

I am a coin hunter and since our soil is moderately mineralized, I use GEB/DISC most of the time. When hunting in GEB/DISC, I can tell if my detector is not operating at peak performance because the threshold will have changed. If it has, I simply pull the trigger, (now it is temporarily in GEB/NORM mode) and raise the coil. I listen to the threshold sound. If it is stable, I keep hunting as pulling the trigger reset it. If it varies when I raise and lower the coil, then most likely the mineralization has changed and I need to readjust my Signal Balance.

TR/DISC mode:
If I were to hunt an area in GEB/DISC mode, and the mineralization was so low that I had turned my SIG BAL knob completely clockwise, (and still not gotten it to run smoothly) I could switch to TR/DISC and compensate for the low mineralization. But recognize that TR/DISC mode will not typically hunt as deep as GEB/DISC in moderately mineralized conditions. My rule of thumb is to not use the TR/DISC mode if the GEB/DISC can be tuned to handle it!

Pinpointing:
I squeeze and hold the trigger to pinpoint, as this is an all metal "non-motion" mode. If you squeeze, release and squeeze the trigger several times, it will detune the detector and allow for more precise pinpointing. However, before you resume hunting, make sure to raise the coil in the air, squeeze and release the trigger one more time to reset the detector for wide-scan detecting.

Hope this helps explain some of the ways I use my XL Pro. If you have any questions, I would be happy to try to help figure them out. HH Randy

Whites says leave it in the preset setting down positoin? From what you say below you set it in the middle position and then change the Sig Bal?

pull the toggle back to GND/AUTO TRAC and hold it in that position. Hold the coil steady until it beeps again. Release the toggle. When you release the toggle, it returns to the middle position, which locks the setting your ears have determined make the detector balanced. Now, squeeze and hold the trigger again, while raising the coil up in the air. If the threshold sound decreases, that means you have some "bad ground" and you will have to adjust the SIG BAL control counter clockwise. Remember, every time you change the Signal Balance control, you must do the GND/AUTO TRAC procedure mentioned above. Finally, when you raise the coil and there is not any change in the threshold sound, you can start hunting.

I am not sure what you refer to by "it". But, if you are talking about the AUTO GEB toggle on an XL Pro, you can return it to the middle position, which locks the setting your ears have determined make the detector balanced. OR you can leave it in the lower position and let the AUTO TRAC update the setting to accomodate the soil. I am sure the most simple setting would be to allow the detector to analyze the ground and make its own adjustments. So, if your soil varies a lot, you may want to hunt in AUTO TRAC. If the soil is stable, locking it in will operate with a smoother threshold and I have found a bit faster response/reset between targets.
I have rewritten that portion of my post to reflect this explanation. HH Randy

First, let me comment on one control which White's has continued to properly label. It is the "Tuner" control. Some brands call it a Threshold control but it is actually a control used to TUNE the detector for a slight audio Threshold level of sound.

Okay, now to the rest of the controls:

Very close to how I do it. Once again, another way in which that lovely analog meter-needle will give you additional information to help in finding deep targrts in difficult situations.

The Whites' manual says that auto-trac continually samples the ground and updates the machine , thereby running at optimum levels. Now I'm guessing that with 'tempermental' ground, and set to GEB-lock , the unit can remain stable, am I correct? Here in central Fl. with the sand and little or no mineralization, I run my XLPRO in auto-trac in the GEB-DISC mode with the Disc set between salt and nails. Then I reley on the meter to help determine if I dig or not,(perhaps I shouldnt use the meter this much). I havent' had much success useing the GEB-Norm mode as the unit is quite unstable and in constant need of adjustment. Will locking the GEB help rectify that?