Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need advice on Gold Bug Pro

What are the best settings for the Gold Bug Pro at a house site? This place is litterally covered in square nails, one nasty site to hunt.

Run descrim up to 30-31. Seems to work well there for me. Others might have good ideas. They should chime in soon. :teknetics::fisher:

Depends, on what you are hunting for. Bart's idea will work -- that's just down into the iron range (you'd miss virtually NO gold this way). However, if you are just looking for coins, another way to do it is to set your disc at about 55 or so; this way, from 55 on up, you get the normal VCO (this range would include everything from nickels on up -- including a good bit of the gold jewelry), and below about 35, you'd hear nothing. Between 35-ish and 55, you'd hear a low grunt.

If you want to get all the jewelry AND coins, I'd set the disc (the tone break) at 40 -- in this setup, everything from 0-40 (the whole iron range) would be a grunt; everything from 41 up would be modulated VCO audio. I think I would probably run it this way, so you could hear (with grunts) all the nails, but get a distinct sound for non-ferrous targets. Reason to hear the nails is, sometimes this will help you to know when you might be "falsing" -- if you are getting a choppy high tone, and you also hear an iron grunt, it's possible that it's a false off the head of the nail (or, could be a coin hidden, partially masked, next to the nail :) ). If the falsing is TOO bad, you can manually run down your ground balance a little bit below the ground phase, which can sometimes help.

Hope this helps!

Steve

As Steve has said, but in this case I would dig everything to clear the site of all the trash / iron, masked targets get found this way.

I've done this at a few parks and managed to find deep coins under the trash areas. It takes time, but I've got to the point where I will hunt a place out over 3 - 6 months until I am sure I've cleaned it out of all the deep targets.

The area gets replenished with good targets and trash on a daily basis, but it's not as bad as it was the first time I hunted the place. Patience is the game, and a slow and well balanced scan of the area(s) with the detector can produce the goods. The point I am making is that a site will always have good targets, new or old, revisit them every other week and clean it out, next time you visit, you will find things that you missed the last time.

I agree that BH_Landstar is completely correct. I've seen estimates that 90 to 95 percent of the "good stuff" is still in the ground, being "masked" by shallower trash -- especially iron. There is NO DOUBT that if you have a good spot like an old homesite, and have it all to yourself, and you plan to hunt it frequently, that digging ALL the junk -- though tedious -- will allow you to recover much, much more of the good stuff. I usually don't have access to such a site, nor enough hunting time (not retired, lots of family stuff, etc.) to do much more than just "cherry pick" when I go out. But, if you have the time, and access to the right spot, there is no doubt that BH_Landstar's advice is the way to go.

Steve

I Would say that BH is right, But I go into a few of the last few areas with a 5 inch coil, and clean out all the top iron and trash, but then run at 40 disc. to allow the gold to come in if it is a old house site and you cannot dig that much; and box nails are the problem run to 38 disc. This will allow you to work around the nails.