Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help identifying a few things.

Ace 350

I found a few items that I have no idea what they are or were used for. I found all these items in the same hole except the dropped three ringer. I found the dropped bullet fairly close to the area that I dug up this other stuff. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attachments

• B8D043D4-B201-4B0D-966E-6681E7B83534.jpeg
    B8D043D4-B201-4B0D-966E-6681E7B83534.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 199
  • 994A8954-C74D-462A-9EB1-5930DDB3428A.jpeg
    994A8954-C74D-462A-9EB1-5930DDB3428A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 202
  • 3EFA57FA-A826-4722-8A63-022E277CD0C9.jpeg
    3EFA57FA-A826-4722-8A63-022E277CD0C9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 182
Ace 350, I thought I saw where these pieces had been ID'd. The top piece looks to be the top section of a fork. The right side of end is the part that would have gone into the wooden handle. The next piece looks to be a musket barrel band with the sling swivel still attached. The two circular pieces with the little flange to either side looks to be the insert that went into the wood of the musket where the musket screws would go and screw into the lockplate, securing the Lockport to the wood. Nice finds and saves.

Ace 350, I thought I saw where these pieces had been ID'd. The top piece looks to be the top section of a fork. The right side of end is the part that would have gone into the wooden handle. The next piece looks to be a musket barrel band with the sling swivel still attached. The two circular pieces with the little flange to either side looks to be the insert that went into the wood of the musket where the musket screws would go and screw into the lockplate, securing the Lockport to the wood. Nice finds and saves.
Awesome.. thanks for the info on these.

Can you post a picture of what the fork would have looked like?

From the link below:
SCREW GROMMET TO CONFEDERATE ENFIELD MUSKET CIVIL WAR
Two replacement escutcheons or lock plate screw washers for the 1853 Enfield Rifle Musket. These will fit various other muskets as well.

enfield 1853.jpg

also on this ebay listing:

From the link below:
SCREW GROMMET TO CONFEDERATE ENFIELD MUSKET CIVIL WAR
Two replacement escutcheons or lock plate screw washers for the 1853 Enfield Rifle Musket. These will fit various other muskets as well.

View attachment 532
also on this ebay listing:
Awesome!

also here,
1853 ENFIELD RIFLED MUSKET PARTS
Part 40
Enfield Diagram2.gif

Think under that all corrosion, @Confetrit may also be right about the sling swivel (#43 and #33). Ever tried electrolysis? Good hole you found there, Ace! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Maybe... would have expected the bands on the barrel would be brass, but appears the furniture of the 1853 Enfield were iron, so under all that rust, it may be a sling swivel. If that's the case and you're two for two on that hole, wondering if that hunk of rust at the top of your pic might be the end of the ramrod (below part #51) :shrug:
Enfield Diagram3.gif

Maybe... would have expected the bands on the barrel would be brass, but appears the furniture of the 1853 Enfield were iron, so under all that rust, it may be a sling swivel. If that's the case and you're two for two on that hole, wondering if that hunk of rust at the top of your pic might be the end of the ramrod (below part #51) :shrug:
View attachment 536
Perhaps so man. I’m looking into cleaning the iron objects but I want to make sure I don’t ruin them but also find the easiest way to clean them.

I've had good luck with old axe heads and such that come out of the ground as a big chunk of rust using an old style manual automotive battery charger, a piece of sheet metal and washing soda in water for the electolite in a plastic tub. You have to have a good contact to the metal through the rust or it won't work. You don't want it bubbling furiously, gentle does it, and it works pretty good. If you do a google search, you'll find lots of detailed info on how to do it.

Recently saw a product called rust evaporator, which looks interesting. You need to soak the item in it and from the reviews sounds like it might be the ticket. Haven't tried it.

I've had good luck with old axe heads and such that come out of the ground as a big chunk of rust using an old style manual automotive battery charger, a piece of sheet metal and washing soda in water for the electolite in a plastic tub. You have to have a good contact to the metal through the rust or it won't work. You don't want it bubbling furiously, gentle does it, and it works pretty good. If you do a google search, you'll find lots of detailed info on how to do it.
Awesome man thanks for all your information and help!!

Attachments

• E04F8AF8-8DCC-4CE5-8685-DA8F968D1C1E.png
    E04F8AF8-8DCC-4CE5-8685-DA8F968D1C1E.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 167
  • 4C4A4F95-5CC0-4CB9-95C9-EAD49EFB269C.jpeg
    4C4A4F95-5CC0-4CB9-95C9-EAD49EFB269C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 160
I posted this item on here about a month ago and someone mentioned that it’s possibly part of a door lock. I thought that it’s possible but there wasn’t any homes in this area that I know of. I’m glad that I held onto it because it looks like a trigger plate off of a rifle. Any ideas?

Attachments

• F85498C9-4E3B-4DCD-B083-6AAF2D9F00B6.jpeg
    F85498C9-4E3B-4DCD-B083-6AAF2D9F00B6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 155
  • 75670E20-5E05-4229-84C0-254AD753F0B1.jpeg
    75670E20-5E05-4229-84C0-254AD753F0B1.jpeg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 146
I posted this item on here about a month ago and someone mentioned that it’s possibly part of a door lock. I thought that it’s possible but there wasn’t any homes in this area that I know of. I’m glad that I held onto it because it looks like a trigger plate off of a rifle. Any ideas?
Ya did it again, Ace... 1853 Enfield trigger assembly :yo: