Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help identifying this button.

Need help identifying this button. Thanks

• What is it?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Help

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bcgoodpaster

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_20200204_230830762.jpg
IMG_20200204_230843660_HDR.jpg

Wish I could be of some help with the I'D of the button, but someone here will know. The button is cool looking and looks to be in good shape. Nice save.

Thank you very much, I found it about 15yrs. ago with a Whites XLT.
The Whites XLT is still a sought after MD even though they are no longer in production. A very capable metal detector. A friend of mine on another forum has recently been looking for one. Was there any other relics that were found in the same area in which the button was found to help date the button or give you any clues? I hunt relics with a Whites MXT Pro and recently bought a nice used Minelab Safari.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hello @bcgoodpaster... there are a wide variety of what they call "livery", "hunting" or "sporting" buttons produced in the 1800's with the same brass backing and shank as the British military buttons of the era. These would feature images of birds, animals, horses, hunting hounds, hunters and fishermen etc. An example from a current ebay listing of a button similar to yours with a fox head design and the same back stamp "New Designs" In the listing, it is dated 1842. Nice find! :thumbup:

Antique Hunt Button 32mm Fox Head New Designs 1842 England
Description
For sale large hunting button in good condition (see picture).
Size: 32 mm.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hello @bcgoodpaster... there are a wide variety of what they call "livery", "hunting" or "sporting" buttons produced in the 1800's with the same brass backing and shank as the British military buttons of the era. These would feature images of birds, animals, horses, hunting hounds, hunters and fishermen etc. An example from a current ebay listing of a button similar to yours with a fox head design and the same back stamp "New Designs" In the listing, it is dated 1842. Nice find! :thumbup:

Antique Hunt Button 32mm Fox Head New Designs 1842 England
Description
For sale large hunting button in good condition (see picture).
Size: 32 mm.
View attachment 563

View attachment 564

Thanks for the info.

The Whites XLT is still a sought after MD even though they are no longer in production. A very capable metal detector. A friend of mine on another forum has recently been looking for one. Was there any other relics that were found in the same area in which the button was found to help date the button or give you any clues? I hunt relics with a Whites MXT Pro and recently bought a nice used Minelab Safari.
Found in the front yard of a pre Civil War home. Pulled several Wheaties and 2 barbers also. I have since switch to a Minelab. I'm very impressed with the Equinox 800. Best machine I have ever used by far.

Found in the front yard of a pre Civil War home. Pulled several Wheaties and 2 barbers also. I have since switch to a Minelab. I'm very impressed with the Equinox 800. Best machine I have ever used by far.
This is what a lot of folks are saying.The Nox Rox.