Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need Help on the GPX 4800

ncdigger

Just got a new GPX 4800 in-between DIV XX & XXI. Could some of you more experience folks give me some setting to start out with? I need setting for the Va. red durt, good soil, sandy soil and @ the beach. Thanks Everyone.

I have the GPX4800 and hunt in some mildly mineralized dirt. Dirt meter on the F75 is 2-3 bars and about 70 for GB. I hunt fairly close to power lines and have to choke my machine down but if you put the timing switch on the front cap in special and then select "sharp timing" in the digital section it will have you digging some very deep holes with all other settings in factory presets. If you encounter any EMI you will have to cut back a few settings to calm it down. In my dirt .58 cal 3 ringers and most coins are a drop in tone first and most buttons are a rising tone first. Grapeshot and fragments can be either low or high. I have only hunted a few weeks with my 4800 and I am no expert by any means but one thing for sure if the threshold is very smooth and while sweeping the coil and it changes any at all and repeats there is something in the ground. Be prepared to dig very deep holes for the faint ones unless it is a buck ball. One more thing, coins and buttons that are kinda shallow will be very loud and can even overload or sound like they are blanking.

Most of my setting are factory presets. I have to cut back on the stabilizer and gain a lot though for EMI.

Settings:

Threshold- Very faint
Search Mode-Deep
Timings-Special
Coil-DD
Tracking-Fixed

Digital section:

Backlight-Off
Battery Test-N/A
Vol Limit-12
GB type-Gen
Special-Sharp
Manual Tune-let the machine pick a channel then tune manually up or down slighlty as needed. I have to change mine often because of the area I hunt.
Motion-Very Slow
RX Gain-I have to run this very low but it still goes deep. Sometimes I am as low as 2 but never higher than 7. A smooth faint threshold is very important.
Audio-Deep unless it will not calm down then try Normal, this will help if EMI is bad.
Audio Tone-50 I like this setting but you may like it higher or lower.
Stabilizer-3 This is another setting I am cutting back on because of EMI. FP is 5 but I can never get there.
Signal-17
Target Volume-8
Tracking-Slow
Iron Reject- 5-7 I have been experimenting and you can make good target start breaking up so be careful on this one

Have you checked out Treasure Talk on the Minelab web site? Kevin Hoagland has an article on how to adjust the soil timings for the mineralized Culpepper, VA dirt. From what I have learned from videos and other articles the advice would be to start with coin and relic timing. If that is too noisy try sharp, you may end up reducing the gain and stabilizer and using slow motion setting. I have about 40 hrs experience in non mineralized soil but I do like the sharp setting with double d and iron reject. I would work on learning the settings what they do and how to adjust them, so that you can have a good level of confidence when you get there. Good Luck wish I was going with you. Rick

If I was using a 4800 here in Australia I wound run these settings front panel switches
threshold solid no breaking in and out
I would only use fixed if you are a experienced operator other wise run in tracking
search mode in deep
soil timings normal
coil r/x cancel good near power line must use with dd coil only the disc will still work

motion slow
rx rain 10-12
audio quite
audio to suite your hearing
signal 14-16
target vol around 10
tracking med
iron reject 5 max
These setting should work OK on most types of ground even on highly mineralization ground.Cancel and quiet you do loose a little in depth but the other gains are worth the little lose

southernexplorer said:
I have the GPX4800 and hunt in some mildly mineralized dirt. Dirt meter on the F75 is 2-3 bars and about 70 for GB. I hunt fairly close to power lines and have to choke my machine down but if you put the timing switch on the front cap in special and then select "sharp timing" in the digital section it will have you digging some very deep holes with all other settings in factory presets. If you encounter any EMI you will have to cut back a few settings to calm it down. In my dirt .58 cal 3 ringers and most coins are a drop in tone first and most buttons are a rising tone first. Grapeshot and fragments can be either low or high. I have only hunted a few weeks with my 4800 and I am no expert by any means but one thing for sure if the threshold is very smooth and while sweeping the coil and it changes any at all and repeats there is something in the ground. Be prepared to dig very deep holes for the faint ones unless it is a buck ball. One more thing, coins and buttons that are kinda shallow will be very loud and can even overload or sound like they are blanking.

Most of my setting are factory presets. I have to cut back on the stabilizer and gain a lot though for EMI.

Settings:

Threshold- Very faint
Search Mode-Deep
Timings-Special
Coil-DD
Tracking-Fixed

Digital section:

Backlight-Off
Battery Test-N/A
Vol Limit-12
GB type-Gen
Special-Sharp
Manual Tune-let the machine pick a channel then tune manually up or down slighlty as needed. I have to change mine often because of the area I hunt.
Motion-Very Slow
RX Gain-I have to run this very low but it still goes deep. Sometimes I am as low as 2 but never higher than 7. A smooth faint threshold is very important.
Audio-Deep unless it will not calm down then try Normal, this will help if EMI is bad.
Audio Tone-50 I like this setting but you may like it higher or lower.
Stabilizer-3 This is another setting I am cutting back on because of EMI. FP is 5 but I can never get there.
Signal-17
Target Volume-8
Tracking-Slow
Iron Reject- 5-7 I have been experimenting and you can make good target start breaking up so be careful on this one

Southernexplorer, thank you so much for sharing the settings. I just ordered my 4800 the other day and it should be here soon. are you currently still using the settings? If not, what did you change? Are the stabilizer in the game the only thing you have to turn down for the EMI issues?

Thank you!
Bubba