Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help with cannonball

A

Anonymous

Hi all:
Wanted to ask the experts here some advice. Diving in New England yesterday, my partner came across a huge cannonball just offshore at a site with military history dating back pre-Civil War. Anyway, to make a long story short we came back with some tools, managed to free it from concretion and checked it out before bringing it up. While looking we found a small circular depression that looks like it was a hole, plugged, into which black powder was poured. This thing is huge. Research yesterday night settled on the possibility that it's a shot from one of the 8" Columbiads and 1 32 pounder cannon stationed at the site.
If it was an ordinary revolutionary-era ball with no powder, we would have brought it up, no problem. But seeing as it could have a charge in it, we decided not to mess with it. We want the thing, but we thought it was best to leave it in the water as it's likely still live. Anyway, any of you southern relic experts know how we could properly handle this ball .. ie, get it diffused? Let me know. Thanks.

Ted:
I am not an expert in Artillery. First I would consult with someone who disarms shells and get an opinion if you think it iis safe to move It. Also consult this site :
http://www.civilwarartillery.com/
under "Heavy projectiles" they have some excellent pictures of 8" shells and shot. Your hole might be a lifting tong hole (see pictures). This will give you some excellent information on the weight that will have to be moved. Do not get the local government or feds into the picture as all they do is explode anything they can get their hands on. Contact an expert. David at Dixie may know of such a person.
DP

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully we'll bring it up and you won't read about us in the obits!

Get it out of the salt water and put it into a tub of fresh water and change the water regularly to leech the salts out. There is also a parafin wax treatment that you can use to preserve iron that has been in salt water. The process is long though. As long as you dont put the shell next to a fire, it will be okay. I know of several fellows in Va. that will disarm it for you, so the next time someone you know heads to Va., send the shell with them to disarm. Dont let the govt. know about the shell. They will take it away from you and blow it up.

Ted; It will need to be disarmed immediately. Otherwise you could be charged with possessing a live "bomb" and the Fed's would love to throw the gig at you over that issue. Only deal with a professional with lots of experience. Not much of a problem for them. You'll then want to remove the mineral salts and excess rust. This is a very long process as John mentioned. It takes about two years on Spanish cannons, but figure six months in electrolysis. Most people use way too much amps; 1/2 amp is all you want. 2-3 amps and you'll eat the shell up. Next, reverse the polarity and this will give the final exit to the salts. I would contact Jack Melton or Steve Phillips or one of the VA guys who offer this service. And no; it is not advisable to paint clear varnish or polyurethan over a shell. Ruins the value. Good luck, David @ Dixie

David Thank you for your very sound advice. I saw Jack's site and will send him an email.

Thanks, David. Your'e right; it would stink to tell the wrong person and have the bomb squad blow up.