Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need input on the use of a pinpointer with the GPX-5000

Bill D. (VA)

Been scanning the web trying to figure out the best way to go with this. The 2 major players seem to be the Garrett ProPoint and the Coiltek inline 1"x8". But in reading some of the forums it seems both have disadvantages. The Garrett is reported to interfere with the machine even with it turned off. And apparently when using the Coiltek you have to turn the detector off before using the switch block to change over to pinpoint operation. Plus you have to stay 1" off the ground to keep it from being too noisy. Also, I have no idea how either of these work in the red dirt or if they can be successfully ground balanced. I'm sure some of you 5000 users have some experience with this, and I'd appreciate any input you can provide. Thanks ..... Bill

Bill can you call me if you like to discuss. I moved my coilteck pinpointer from the TDI to the GPX a year ago and love it .
703 618 8351
Brian Sperty

Probe clip , Sunray , it does not come with one.
Wire is a little too long for me .
I have found i need to tie wrap the switch box on
I hardly ever ground balance the pinpointer , but it does help in extreme dirt conditions.
It works great in red dirt
If the target is not deep you can pin point before digging.
You do not have to turn machine off , but it is noisy when you flip the switch.
It is very powerful
I AM SPOILED !!!

Thanks for the info Brian. But I'm still a little confused. I found some info on the web yesterday written by Trevor at Coiltek and he's disagreeing with what you're saying about having to turn off the detector prior to switching to the pinpointer. He's also talking about having to dangle the probe by the cable which sounds a little strange. See below for what he had to say. Do you agree or disagree with his comments? Thanks again for your help.

Re: COILTEK 1X8 INCH PINPOINT PROBE
Coiltek Manufacturing on Mon May 30, 2011 10:32 am
Hi All,
Just thought i would chime in to mention a few points about our Pinpointer. So far BeepinPete has described its use well and he knows how to run it well.

Firstly, it is designed as a MONO coil so it will behave like a mono in mineralised ground. Secondly it is ultra-sensitive due to the way it is manufactured. Therefore there are some techniques to using this probe which i hope will help those who have one or are thinking about getting one at some stage: (I plan to have a youtube demo video up very soon on this)

Use the probe like a pendulum: when using the probe, hold it just above the strain relief by the cable and slowly balance the end of the probe to the ground as you would any normal coil. The main detection area is at the end of the probe - the field goes out the end and around the sides of the bottom 2-3 inches of the probe.

To use the probe, slowly lower it into the hole or desired area so it hovers around 1 inch above the ground. It is best to not touch the soil or rocks. This is due to the sensitivity of the unit as it becomes touch sensitive when knocked. The wires and internals are fully sealed with epoxy resin so it is also waterproof but due to the nature of the beast, any knocks can trouble the unit.

Move around the open hole or soil until you get the loudest response, remembering to hover and hold the probe by the cable.

As Pete mentioned, you do need to turn off your detector if using a switch block before you switch between the probe/coil.

It is by far the deepest searching probe on the market but does take a little getting used to. By reducing GAIN on the later model GPX units you can reduce some sensitivity of the probe to ground changes or knocks but moving slowly with the unit helps alot. Once the technique is mastered or at least understood it will help direct your dig towards the right stuff!

Also, it can be used horizontally to the ground, held at the cable entry point, but you will need to keep the relationship to the ground consistent. By this i mean do not change the angle of the probe to the ground as you will hear a ground noise due to the magnetic field going out of balance. Waving the probe around like a wand will create loads of noise again due to the magnetic field of the probe to the earth. I find the best method the pendulum style.

If you have any questions please contact me for more info. As i mentioned, i inted to have a short demo video uploaded soon to help explain how to use it to its full potential.

Of course this product will not suit everyones purpose but we are here to help if you do have or get one.

HAve fun!
Trevor.

Bill D. (VA) said:
Thanks for the info Brian. But I'm still a little confused. I found some info on the web yesterday written by Trevor at Coiltek and he's disagreeing with what you're saying about having to turn off the detector prior to switching to the pinpointer. He's also talking about having to dangle the probe by the cable which sounds a little strange. See below for what he had to say. Do you agree or disagree with his comments? Thanks again for your help.

Re: COILTEK 1X8 INCH PINPOINT PROBE
Coiltek Manufacturing on Mon May 30, 2011 10:32 am
Hi All,
Just thought i would chime in to mention a few points about our Pinpointer. So far BeepinPete has described its use well and he knows how to run it well.

Firstly, it is designed as a MONO coil so it will behave like a mono in mineralised ground. Secondly it is ultra-sensitive due to the way it is manufactured. Therefore there are some techniques to using this probe which i hope will help those who have one or are thinking about getting one at some stage: (I plan to have a youtube demo video up very soon on this)

Use the probe like a pendulum: when using the probe, hold it just above the strain relief by the cable and slowly balance the end of the probe to the ground as you would any normal coil. The main detection area is at the end of the probe - the field goes out the end and around the sides of the bottom 2-3 inches of the probe.

To use the probe, slowly lower it into the hole or desired area so it hovers around 1 inch above the ground. It is best to not touch the soil or rocks. This is due to the sensitivity of the unit as it becomes touch sensitive when knocked. The wires and internals are fully sealed with epoxy resin so it is also waterproof but due to the nature of the beast, any knocks can trouble the unit.

Move around the open hole or soil until you get the loudest response, remembering to hover and hold the probe by the cable.

As Pete mentioned, you do need to turn off your detector if using a switch block before you switch between the probe/coil.

It is by far the deepest searching probe on the market but does take a little getting used to. By reducing GAIN on the later model GPX units you can reduce some sensitivity of the probe to ground changes or knocks but moving slowly with the unit helps a lot. Once the technique is mastered or at least understood it will help direct your dig towards the right stuff!

Also, it can be used horizontally to the ground, held at the cable entry point, but you will need to keep the relationship to the ground consistent. By this i mean do not change the angle of the probe to the ground as you will hear a ground noise due to the magnetic field going out of balance. Waving the probe around like a wand will create loads of noise again due to the magnetic field of the probe to the earth. I find the best method the pendulum style.

If you have any questions please contact me for more info. As i mentioned, i intend to have a short demo video uploaded soon to help explain how to use it to its full potential.

Of course this product will not suit every-ones purpose but we are here to help if you do have or get one.

Have fun!
Trevor.

Hi Bill..

I think you'll see that Trevor actually does recommend powering off the detector in his post which i have highlighted in red mate.
The Coiltek and the Garrett probes are both good pinpointers, but if its absolute blast power you need, the Coiltek Probe wins hands down,
The Garrett probe doesn't have the same depth or sens as the Coiltek job but it does get a good vote for being easier to use and also
you dont need to power off the tecta all the time.

The interference thats spoken about when using the Garrett probe isn't actually caused by the electronics of the probe when its switched on or off,
its actually caused by the small coil winding in the probe, if you can picture a spiral wound loop of wire like a spring, this type of configuration
of wire can be seen many times more easily by a pulse detector than if the same wire was in a straight line..

I use the Garrett Pro pointer at the moment, and i hang it on my belt on the opposite side to my detector arm, it has no major effect on the detectors
stability, but if brought within 2.1/2ft of the coil the 5000 goes off like a banshee...

Hope Ive cleared things up a bit for you Bill.

Regards
Pete - Western Aus.

pls inform the sensitivity for 25 cent coin Distance

Tip detecting > 1.2 inch ( 3.0 cm )
Side detecting > 1.6 inch ( 4.0 cm )

can or not

Constant tone over the targets YES or NOT :)

No disrespect but i had to chuckle at the vision of dangling the probe by the cord and why turn the machine off . PLEASE explain . There is a rise in threshold at the time of the changeover but i think the TDI did the same thing. Like the machine you need to learn how to use it . Because you have a threshold in the background you can hear the ground reaction , ground balancing the probe does help tame it down but you WILL know when you find the target.
Bill at some point i could make a video for you or if you want to call i can let you hear what it sound like.
Don Echols uses one so you might also check with him. The probe saves me time on each target which allows me to have more hunting time.I take a scoop of dirt check the scoop and flip the switch .

Thanks for taking the time to respond Pete - I appreciate your input. I have a friend who has both the Garrett and Coiltek pinpointers so guess I need to try both of them out and see what works best for me. I'm leaning toward the Garrett at the moment, and will try the setup you recommended. Thank you again for your help ..... Bill

Super simple to use and no wires dangling. Wear the pinpointer on your backside and it wont interfere with the GPX. Make sure you keep your coil 3 feet away from your hole. Stick the pinpointer in the hole first before turning it on and it automatically ground balances in the red dirt. You cant beat it!

marc

I was looking for a picture of the total installation with the switching block on the shaft and ran across this discussion. I saw the statements above and happened to be looking at the Coiltek website of the probe. I noticed this which is pertinent to this discussion and can be found here http://coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/pinpointer.html

Coiltek Web Site said:
It can be used in conjunction with our 'Switching Block', which allows you to switch between your detecting coil, to the probe with a flick of a switch without unplugging any coils.

(Note: you must turn off your detector before switching coils using the switching block.)

That statement implies that if the switch is set to the probe the electronics could still be damage if the main coil is unplugged from the GPX box to change to a different coil vs flipping the switch to use the main coil or the probe.

And this has nothing to do with my current problem.

Pete,

If your response is to me I contacted Coiltek and got my answer.

It had to do with the plastic snap on the old control box for the Coiltek Probe vs the current model control box metal clasp. Seems that the US supplier supplied me with an old model vs the newer one. I didn't want to break the plastic ears by forcing the rod into the ears. However, I did and they didn't so its on the rod but at first bump it will snap off. I'll need to use ties to keep it on.