Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some help

A

Anonymous

I am going to be selling my backup machine and will be replacing it with a more up todate machine.
I had considered a TID machine but decided against it, since all aren't accurate when it comes to relics and such anyway.
So for something simple, I have kind of narrowed it down between two machines. That is what I need some help on.
The two machines are both Tesoros. Obviously, since I relic hunt most, the Tejon gets the nod but at the same time...so does the Lobo Super Traq.
What I want to know is...since the coils between them are interchangable...can somebody give me a depth and performance comparison between the Tejon & LST...WITH the new coil that comes standard on the Tejon?
In weighing the options between them...the LST is kinda nudging the Tejon right now. I like the autotracking ground balance feature it offers. Staying on top of GB is a must in the places I hunt. The Tejon has the option of having an alternate disc which COULD come in handy BUT in relic hunting it may be wise to just go ahead and dig everything anyway. So if someone has tested the LST & Tejon with the Tejon coil, please post or email me the results.
Thanks.

I'm sure the LST would work just fine with the Tejon coil, but remember that the LST has autotracking in all-metal only, disc mode has a pre-set GB.
I would go for the Tejon for relic hunting.
HH Kevin

Couple of the guys had owned both machines. I have not so was an observer, with questions.
Both agreed the Tejon was deeper seeking and both now use Tejon. I not being a relic hunter asked about the dual disc being needed on a Relic machine.
The explaination was that Disc 1 was set to Iron to clip small nails and such and Disc 2 was set to clip foil. Everything else was dug and the Dual Disc is an asset to a Relic hunter.
I have ran a friends Tejon and it is an impressive machine! As far as the manual ground balance is concerned in a very short time it becomes instinctive.
I can comment on that since I started Green as Grass with an Eldorado last April.

I have the LST and I have tried the Tejon. As has already been mentioned the LST's auto ground tracking only works in All Metal Mode. So unless you hunt in All-Metal mode the Autrac feature will be of no benefit. In my own testing the Tejon easily beats the LST in depth on normal and large sized objects such as bullets, buttons, and bgreat plates. On really small targets the LST has a very slight advantage. Hope thsi helps.
HH
Beachcomber

For those that asked, the backup machine I aim to replace is my Fisher 1265-X.
Thank you all for bringing to light the autotrack feature only being used in all metal on the LST. That kinda disappointed me because I was hoping for something to help in our dirt here. I realize that manual GB idn't hard at all to learn...but what makes it so difficult here is the ground changes quite a bit and you continuiously have to stay VERY much on top of your GB control. Our ground in some places can go from the machine being set slightly positive in this spot and move a few feet and the detector be negative when you move it there. Thus far the programmable Whites machines have seemed to handle it better than anything I've seen.
But I am still wondering if anybody has taken the stock Tejon coil and applied it to the LST and noted whether it made a difference or not. And if so, how it compared to the Tejon itself WITH that coil on it. Thus far all I've gathered is a few mentions of the Tejon being compared with the LST *but* the LST has always had one of its stock coils on it. I wouldn't mind having a Tejon but I kind of question its ability to get a sense of modulation on deeper things in some sites. If #7 birdshot and percussion caps will "blow the headphones off your head" how are you suppose to tell the difference in modulation @ a trashy site, where you'll have modern trash the first few inches and then the CW Goodies inches below those??

I can understand your concerns about the preset GB in disc. mode on the LST, I felt the same before I got mine. But I've found in my area, the preset GB disc. works great until I get into the really bad mineralization. In the "iron dirt" the disc. mode of most all different brands I've tried are pretty much useless for any depth.. So you have to go to all metal if you want to "see" a metallic target in that kind of dirt.. Of all the auto tracking detectors I've used, including several Whites, the LST does the best job of keeping up with the changing ground and will not "track to" rust and iron bits as some models will.. I use my LST for relic hunting and the audio is very informative as to size, depth, and types of targets.. The best of all the Tesoro models I've tried.. Also it will let you know if you go over a lead bird shot several inches in the ground, I sorted thru a lot of handfulls of dirt for a tiny shot until I got used to just how sensitive the LST is.....Not trying to tell you what detector to buy, but take a good second look at a LST. I think some people consider the LST as just another Tesoro,,,believe me, it's not.. It's in a class of it's own..Good luck with whatever you get........Dave

Hi Daniel,
I have a good friend that I hunt with a lot, he has the LST, runs it at 2 disc,and 9 sens. He digs a lot of relic's, but he also digs every nail, horseshoe and such at the same time. It is a good machine, but does not have the ability to see thru the trash.
You mentioned you had a 1265 and I can't help but wonder something.
Not to get nasty on this forum, as I have respect for several different machines from different manufacturers out there.
Have you checked out the new Coinstike, it has outdone all machines out there including the Explorer 11, it "does" pull good targets out of the middle of trash, has auto ground trac, and gets very deep. I know as I have been testing it for some time.
Just another thought that will confuse you,
it pays to check out all angles before you invest the money it takes today for a detector.
The General
Ps. Remember that the LST was designed to be a nugget machine.

If an LST is picking up nails at disc. set at 2 I would send it in to Tesoro and let them check it out, sounds like something needs calibrating or tuning.. I very seldom ever dig nails with mine and the larger iron that I want to dig while relic hunting is easily ID'd by the audio sound.. I set my disc. to just eliminate nails and depending on ground conditions that is usually somewhere between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 on the disc. knob.. My LST is one of he better Tesoro's for cutting a fine line between sizes of iron being eliminated, much better than my Eldorado was..I also use the concentric coils instead of the stock one...I would definitely try to find out why nails were coming thru that bad on an LST.........Dave

I had thought about getting either a DFX or CoinStrike as a replacemnt for the 1265 but I got to thinking that I was just going to be using it as a backup. So I really don't need that kinda money in a machine that I'm seldom going to be using.

Since you are looking for a backup, I'm wondering what is your "main" detector ? ..I'm also looking at possibly giving the Coinstrike a try but like you said, that might be overkill as a backup.. Unless it turned into your #1.......I also use several detectors and the #1 depends on the situation at hand...I guess the most used ones I have are my CZ, my 1270, and the LST.......There's a lot of great detectors out there,, Good Luck,,,,,,Dave

My main relic machine is currently the X5. It handles most ground situations I can throw at it but you still have to be able to listen to the machine to know when its off balance in the unstable ground. That is why I was kind of leaning towards wanting something with auto tracking on the GB...so I could pull out the backup when I ran into some of that unstable ground and not have to be fiddlin' with getting the GB control just right. But at the same time...still not having to have an engineers degree in knowing how to program it to get optimal performance out of it.
John in KY uses the CoinStrike to relic hunt with and does pretty good with it. Gets great depth out of it too. I'd just be afraid of the learning curve involved with it...cause I was looking for simplicity in a raw performance kind of package. It may not be hard at all...and I may still look into that. I don't get my Christmas bonus til December so I still have some time to ponder this out.

Daniel,
My honest belief is once you tried and worked with the Coinstrike, it would become your #1 machine without any doubt. The learning curve on it takes no time at all. It's ability to pull out coins and relic's thru the trash is the most uncaniest I have ever seen, plus getting the depth with it at the same time. I have taught my customers the trick with it in no time. I could not imagine taking another machine out to hunt with, unless I was going for nuggets.
If you would like a detector that is the one you will pick up 99 out of 100 to go hunt with, it would be the C$. Experience is a great teacher, I have but 21 years, at the same time I would only speak the truth.
Good luck to you in what you decide, but please don't fall prey to all the hipe out there.
Ron

Hey General,, Your description of the Coinstrike's performance matches what I'm hearing from a lot of different people,, and then there's also some who haven't been happy with it. This is pretty much true with most any detector I suppose..Right now Im waiting for one to arrive in my area and I'm gonna have a chance to try it out in my baddest dirt. If it can penetrate thru this ground it will be a keeper, the ID and other features will be icing on the cake.....Dave

The X5 is a good detector but it too was humbled by the "iron" dirt, wasn't the magic answer for my area..I don't own a Tejon but what I've seen hasn't convinced me that it could do better in all metal than my LST. The Tejon can be manually GB but with the slow auto tune I don't think it coud keep up with the smoothness of the LST auto tracking when hunting in all metal mode which I do pretty often..Just some wishfull thinking, but it would be cool if there was a place that rented out detectors so you could try them all in different areas of the country without having to buy it and find out it's not what you were looking for.....Dave

Daniel, the main thing to remember when you try that machine, is if you ground is mineralized, or a very trashy area, set your sens. at 5, and threshold -25, and experiment from there.
Most of the guys that didn't like it was due to the fact they set it up too hot for the conditions, and it just would chatter and run numbers all over.
You can also run all metal with the numbers id'ing all targets, only one tone . Four tone audio id in disc.
Hope this helps.