Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some more eyes/ears on this...super trashy site today

biggziff

I hunted an old site today that was very promising, but very trashy. It has been everything from a stage coach stop, an Inn, a post office, gas station, resturant, roadside garage, you name it. Some very affluent people have spent time here including celebrities from the 1800s on up until the late 50s. It's owned by a friend so we went up there today with great anticipation. Since everyone has said the Deus is so great on trashy sites I had high expectations. It might be me, it might be the trash, it might be coronal mass ejections....but I dug more trash today than I ever have. Nearly every signal sounded like a mix of all 4 tones, raspy, high, low...ugh.... High tones with good numbers dug up trash...low tones dug trash, pennies were dead on, but a 1995 Nickel buried 4" down rang as 61-66 with no junk around it in the hole.

I did manage a few zinc pennies, a newer nickel or two and a 1970 Quarter, but nothing what I had anticipated.

Anyway...I tried lower the sensitivity (85 from 93), lowering and raising reactivity, adjusting GB (tracking, pump, manual), adjusting frequency, raising disc to 10, 30, 50...nothing seemed to have much of an effect.

Here's what I started with:

Basic 1, edited as follows
4 tones, 200 (up to 27), 502 (28-43), 651 (44-90), 791 (91 and up)
disc 2.5
silencer 1
react 1
TX power 2 (I played with this outside last night (1 thru 3) and it seemed to have no effect on a nickel, penny or quarter buried at 8")
Sens 93
GB Tracking

Here's a video showing what I'm describing as far as the tones. We do know that the yard was often used as a dump for all manner of things...and we found a lot of it! What I need is another Deus user to spend some time with me hunting, but until I can find someone nearby the internet has to do.

Thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/Yexm5QhC2HQ

I've attached a photo of the overlook off the back porch of this historic site. Pretty spectacular!

You didn't post the frequency you were running. 18KHz, 62-64 is standard for a nickel. Iron in the vicinity can raise the value of nickels. They seem to be most susceptible to this phenomenon.

Your super trashy site isn't so bad. Change your reactivity to 2 or better yet, 3. If you go to 3, reset your silencer, it will change to -1 (I think).
You were sweeping rather fast at your site so the iron was giving you a lot of falsing. In an area such as that one, you need to swing a little slower, and dig the repeatable "nice sounding" target signals.
Don't worry so much about the ID for now. I would focus on pulling high conductors out of the area to get a feel for the potential of the site. Anything zinc penny and above in ID so you won't miss the Indians nor get fatigued from digging trash.

Started at 18Khz (I think that's the Basic 1 default) and tried other frequencies as well.

I did try swinging slower, but everything sounded about the same. Probably my lack of experience with the machine, but really seemed like every square inch of this place was giving a signal you'd consider digging.

In this case, what effect would you expect changing the react to 2-3?

Thanks!

I respect lsm's advice, and recommend that you try it. But, I will share with you that early on I tried pushing my Deus to reactivity = 3 because I also hunt in extremely trashy city parks, and I experienced some of the same bewilderment and frustration that you seem to be having. What worked for me was actually bringing the reactivity back down to 1, and swinging SLOWER as Ism also recommended. How did that help in my trashy park? Well, it made the tones sound off longer, making it easier to learn what the machine was saying. It's still fast relative to a lot of other machines, but it definitely made it easier to hear more clearly what the machine was sounding off on.

That does mean that you won't be able to pick out & separate every single target in a trashy space (and you won't find every possible treasure) -- but at THIS point that may not be a bad thing. This way the machine will pick up the most prominent targets. It's too easy to get overwhelmed from all of the information. So think of lowering the reactivity as being complementary to Ism's advice to just cherry pick the higher tones and you will find some coins early on. Trust me, when it starts to click, it just goes BANG! And then you add a new layer of complexity, and you may struggle for a little bit, and then that new advance will suddenly click.

Let us know how it goes!
Rich

samandnoah said:
I respect lsm's advice, and recommend that you try it. But, I will share with you that early on I tried pushing my Deus to reactivity = 3 because I also hunt in extremely trashy city parks, and I experienced some of the same bewilderment and frustration that you seem to be having. What worked for me was actually bringing the reactivity back down to 1, and swinging SLOWER as Ism also recommended. How did that help in my trashy park? Well, it made the tones sound off longer, making it easier to learn what the machine was saying. It's still fast relative to a lot of other machines, but it definitely made it easier to hear more clearly what the machine was sounding off on.

That does mean that you won't be able to pick out & separate every single target in a trashy space (and you won't find every possible treasure) -- but at THIS point that may not be a bad thing. This way the machine will pick up the most prominent targets. It's too easy to get overwhelmed from all of the information. So think of lowering the reactivity as being complementary to Ism's advice to just cherry pick the higher tones and you will find some coins early on. Trust me, when it starts to click, it just goes BANG! And then you add a new layer of complexity, and you may struggle for a little bit, and then that new advance will suddenly click.

Let us know how it goes!
Rich

Thanks for the input, Rich. I felt like I was doing just what you suggest...react at 1, changing my swing speed and just being overwhelmed with noise all over the spectrum. I dug 20-30 holes today with a ratio of 10-1 or so trash to keepers. Like I said...a few hours with someone who has locked in with the Deus would probably be magic, but I can't find anyone around here. I'll keep hammering away and hope that it does click for me as well!

Thanks again

I've been at similiar "sounding" sites. I think he is right by saying slow it down some. I don't think it's necsarrily for the DEUS, but more for your ears to analyze those signals a little more. Any time you hit one of those high tones among the trash stop, tighten your swing down over that area and check the tones thoroughly. It may be trash or a false signal but it it takes just a second to be sure. I do a lot of the "wiggle" back over signals to help me distinguish what im hearing. I was doing just that tonight, and pulled a 62 penny out of a plug literally right next to a piece of can slaw in the plug with it. Don't get me wrong the programming is important, but to me, it's about zeroing in on that high crisp tone and nailing its location. If that good solid tone drops off or cracks as I'm wiggling back, I've pulled trash from the plug. I'm also very new to the DEUS, but this is what is working for me right now. I think we have a lot to learn still yet.

I'd by happy to help you with what you are finding at the site . . . hunted many of them before myself. SHoot me a PM and we can comunicate and possibly talk - there are some things I'd recommend trying but easier to talk than tyoe and find out you have tried them or they will not work in your area

Andy

Andy Sabisch said:
I'd by happy to help you with what you are finding at the site . . . hunted many of them before myself. SHoot me a PM and we can comunicate and possibly talk - there are some things I'd recommend trying but easier to talk than tyoe and find out you have tried them or they will not work in your area

Andy

Thanks for the generous offer and I'd love to talk, but I don't see any option to send a PM on this board. I tried clicking your name and that only gives me the option to see all your posts.

Maybe I don't have enough posts? This forum software is very different to any other software I have ever used before.

Thanks

Bigziff, when you raise the reactivity, it makes the target footprint smaller. For instance a penny at reactivity 1 will sound off over a large portion of the coil. A higher reactivity will reduce the signal footprint.
Instead of bee-eep, it will be beep. This will help to better identify individual targets in a sea of noise. Like Morgan44 said, slowing your sweep helps you to analyze the signals and also helps the Deus reject some of the iron falsing.

Ism said:
Bigziff, when you raise the reactivity, it makes the target footprint smaller. For instance a penny at reactivity 1 will sound off over a large portion of the coil. A higher reactivity will reduce the signal footprint.
Instead of bee-eep, it will be beep. This will help to better identify individual targets in a sea of noise. Like Morgan44 said, slowing your sweep helps you to analyze the signals and also helps the Deus reject some of the iron falsing.

Thanks for that. Since posting that question I've found some good info online and Andy's book arrived so I'm studying...a lot!!!