Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need some tips on recognizing bottle caps and foil/tin...

Golden Eagle

Hello Friends,

I'm getting to know my Deus better and better but still have a problem with bottle caps and foil/tin that give a good high toned sound and circa 85 VDI. Is there anything I can do to recognize these things for what they are without having to dig them out each time? Any tips would be appreciated!

Rob: A California Yankee in Queen Beatrix's court.

Alright, here are 2 tricks that knock out most bottle caps (the beer top types).

1) A lot of them will bounce between 89 and 91 in 12khz. I dug 500 of these signals that bounced between those 2 numbers while testing the Deus and I didn't get a single good find.
2) Another way to check is if you get a suspicious signal (usually in the mid 80's to mid 90's) in 12Khz, switch over to 8Khz and most bottle caps will disappear

I check if a target is a bottle cap easily by hunting in basic 1 and switching one screen back to basic 2 to check the signals. These 2 tricks REALLY cut down on bottle caps for me. You won't knock them all out but these 2 tricks will get most of them.

If I think of another trick that works, I'll post back up here. It would also be interesting if there is another way that i haven't come across so I will be following this thread myself. HH -Marc

Depending on depth, if you wiggle the coil until just the front of the coil is over the target, the tone changes to iron if it's a bottlecap.

MHirschmann said:
Alright, here are 2 tricks that knock out most bottle caps (the beer top types).

1) A lot of them will bounce between 89 and 91 in 12khz. I dug 500 of these signals that bounced between those 2 numbers while testing the Deus and I didn't get a single good find.
2) Another way to check is if you get a suspicious signal (usually in the mid 80's to mid 90's) in 12Khz, switch over to 8Khz and most bottle caps will disappear

I check if a target is a bottle cap easily by hunting in basic 1 and switching one screen back to basic 2 to check the signals. These 2 tricks REALLY cut down on bottle caps for me. You won't knock them all out but these 2 tricks will get most of them.

If I think of another trick that works, I'll post back up here. It would also be interesting if there is another way that i haven't come across so I will be following this thread myself. HH -Marc

AWESOME post here! Thanks Marc!

build a test garden and experiment with the freqs and motions on each target

I have a 4khz program set in slot 9. and I have a high trash coin program in slot 8 and I generally hunt in Basic 1 (12Khz). when I get a quarter signal or dime signal in Basic 1 or my coin program i will just switch over to 4 Khz and verify the numbers. If the numbers in 4 are higher than 12 Khz then its always junk in my experience. Sometimes 4Khz will eliminate the bottlecap completely but it is almost always a mid to high 90's VDI which I dont dig since coins do not read in the mid to high 90's. I dig very few bottlecaps using this method.

This is really a good tip. I remember reading in the UK field tests that they could tell a bottle cap by it's sound. Now it makes sense! Thanks!

Most bottlecaps that are rusty or older will have that crackle to them, that is my telltale sign I've been listening for. The brand new ones are tough period to tell not unless you know to slow the swing way down then it will cut out as being not conductive in a crackly kind of way.