Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Deus Owner

vanstheman3

Hello all, My Deus is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, I hope they deliver it early because I plan on hunting and would love to be able to Use it. I have scanned through the Manual and Downloaded it onto my Nook to carry with me. I don't know if I can force myself to leave the house until it gets here? I also have A Tejon and Pistol Probe scheduled for delivery tomorrow! Does anyone have any Tips for a New Deus Owner??? Thanks in advance for any Input... GL & HH.............Pat

NYNURSE said:
A bigger shovel. Sucker goes deep.

Thanks for the advice Bart, The Goes deep remark reminded me Does this MD show target depth? I can't find any mention of it anywhere? I only got out into my back yard today for about half an hour, I dug up some Rusty scraps That showed as 84 I think. It was getting dark and mosquito's were out so I switched to air testing coins. This detector was a bit chattery? I'm about to read through the Manual again, And hope to retain more this time than during my first reading. Thanks for any help or thoughts in advance. GL & HH...........Pat

Pat,
The Deus does not show depth like other detectors do in inches.
It shows depth with the horse shoe.
The more filled the horse shoe the closer to the surface the target.
When looking for the deep targets, watch for just a hint of black on the right side and no VID but a good sound and repeatable. (mouse wispers)
The Deus finds deep targets by sound. learn them and it's all golden.
I've found targets at 10+ ... too deep to dig in the dry dirt we've been having.
Good luck with your new toy...
Take your time.. Start out in basic 1 and learn the sounds...
Low and slow....

HH

HuntinDog is right on the money. Know your sounds. The VID is a tough habit to break, at least it was for me. but you are rewarded quickly.
Big iron will fool you at first, it can make a good sound, but the horseshoe clues you in. Takes a few hours to get the hang of but it is (IMHO) easier to learn then other high end machines.

I agree that Basic 1 is a good program to start with. Most likely you wan t to rush out there and find "stuff" .... but I think your early time with the machine would be better spent if you could set up a learning experience.

One of the best things I did, at the beach, was to bury 4 silver quarters at depths of 2", 4", 6" and 8". I did this at about 2 feet apart. Now swing your Deus and listen up to the sounds. Try each of the programs. If you are patient enough (I know it's hard to be with a new machine in your hands) try various targets..from pulltabs to bottle caps to silver or gold rings. Pay more attention to the sounds but glance at the vids too.

Don't get discouraged..you still have to get the "good stuff" under the coil.

Good Luck, Joe (California)

Thanks everyone, I was out nine hours today plugging away at it. I spent the first 1.5 hours laying out targets and Working on learning the Tones, TIDs, Conductivity scale, and just trying to get a handle on it. Then I moved on to hunting, and digging every Decent solid steady target, and working at getting a handle on the Depth gauge. I'm not the least bit discouraged, I'm Amazed at the recovery speed and I'm using Basic 1! It don't seem to miss Much if anything and I dug several targets with scrap above or right next to the Semi good targets. I'm feeling like I am going to love this MD! Everything is Up from here, Every day I will understand it more! I had the coil power down to pretty low by the time I stopped this evening, so I Got a day in. I could not have found a trashier site for my first day with it! I did Find a Ring, But it Has no Markings and appears to be Cheap. It sounded like Gold, It locked into a Gold TID the same as a Medium Gold Band I had Air tested, But it has no markings, feels a bit Light for its size, and showed some light corrosion inside (outside appears to be Lacquered)? But Hey I'll take any ring I can find especially on a first day with a new MD. My one Quarter had a Pull tab above it as best I could tell, and it was a 1965! I also found what appears to be a pewter Ear ring Part that held 3 tiny objects of some kind as it has 3 small ring type Findings still on it. Other than that I Dug two pieces of melted metal and Standard Lake Park Scrap. I noticed my Mineralisation strength gauge seems to stay totally White/Clear? Is this Normal??? Thanks for any Help or Tips in advance All!!! GL & HH.............Pat

Hi, congrats you just got the best detector made.IMHO. Lots of people suggest the basic 1 and basic 2 programs and they are good. If you get a solid tone in either of these you can be pretty much assured it's a good target. However, I have the best luck with the dry beach program. I use it most of the time (with a couple of tweaks) and it misses NOTHING! I have got good signals(and good finds) with this program and have switched to basic 1 and then basic 2 and neither of them gave a peep. If I had been searching in basic 1 or 2 I would have missed the Target completely. Today I was on a stony beach near me and got an intermittent signal in the 96 VDI range. I found it(with some difficulty) about 8" down. It was a tiny thin 5 point star. about 3/8' point to point. Almost no mass at all. Like I said, it misses NOTHING.

XP sounds are XP sounds and it took me far longer than some folks to get their interpretation into my mind.

If you can get a copy of the DVD XP explained it will allow you to better understand the sounds even though its using other detectors in the XP range the sounds still apply.

Roger in the UK also produced one which is worth watching and listen to.:thumbup: Jerry.

Hello Deus owner's, Thank you all for your Input, Advice, and Tips. I have been out every day since Getting the Deus. Tuesday was 9 Hrs at a local city park and a Lake Park, Wednesday was only five Hrs at The same City park as Tuesday but in different search areas, Thursday was a Church Totlot and Kids Sized Baseball field for six hours. Today was the Lake Park again, around Just one of Many camp sites, and the Volleyball court for 5 Hrs. I have some questions but Think I need to stop and write them down right away as I encounter them, so that The problem is fresh in my mind and I can describe it better. At least for now I'm feeling like I'm getting a handle on the basics of this MD, I'm also feeling like after Five hours it starts to get like sensory overload, LOL! Here's a good Question, What are everyone's thoughts on Starting out with this detector, Is it better to search trashy sites, or is it better to try detecting cleaner sites??? Thanks for any replies or thoughts. GL & HH...........Pat

I found clean sight help me learn. It reinforced the tone patterns. I tried to study the tone and compare what was on the screen. Learned what was bad quicker. Dirty sites I dug trash out of curiosity,tired myself out and stated getting sloppy.Didn't learn a thing that way.

I stuck with one site that I knew very well. It has an area with heavy iron and trash and a cleaner area. When my brain would start bouncing from being in the trash area I would move to the cleaner area. Especially when I went to zero discrimination. I have been working this site for a year. It is a big picnic grove. I have had great days and bad days there. The targets are getting few and far between, but the Deus can be set upso many different ways I still dig a few keepers. Zero discrimination, Tone adjustment, faster recovery, large coil, zero discrimination w/ slower recovery (deep mode) all can pull more targets. And that is just a few ways I hunt.

Detyect the cleaner sites until you get used the various sounds.

You will get to the point when you can challenge the detector sounds and when you are at one with it just not botter to dig out the trash items.

I had a couple of hours out this morning and out of about 30 signals,I only dug out 20 as the rest had a 99% of being trash.

:thumbup: Jerry.

Thanks Good, That's such a good and simple answer. All sites I have searched with my Deus (with the exception of the church area) are sites I have searched with several detectors pretty often. All of them also have trashy and clean areas, I didn't get out today because of yard work and Dog sitting (my own dogs). Tomorrow I plan on searching the local Middle Schools Seldom used football field. I has Trashy and cleaner areas. I searched it last Sunday with my Cortes, but I passed on digging many targets that read deep figuring I would Search the same area again with the Deus to see how it shows the Targets. Until I learn the Deus better I doubt I will dig very deep even on a very little used sports field. My digging is relative to the conditions of how the Flap Cuts and folds back, and how well I can repair the target area!!! Yes Robo I have noticed in my Four days with my Deus that the Mineralisation strength Gauge shows very little if any Mineralisation? It is almost always totally clear? I had asked if that was normal or common, But haven't gotten any response to that as of yet? Take Care all... GL & HH..........Pat/Vans

vanstheman3 said:
Here's a good Question, What are everyone's thoughts on Starting out with this detector, Is it better to search trashy sites, or is it better to try detecting cleaner sites??? Thanks for any replies or thoughts. GL & HH...........Pat

I have found a site with lots of targets, both good and bad, is very helpful in learning a new unit. You must dig all signals to learn what the machine is telling you. After an hour or two you will get comfortable at ignoring some targets (ie can slaw, bottle caps, etc) and trusting what your machine is telling you. Don't get hooked on changing things at the beginning. Far too often I see someone just totally obsessed with "max power" for more depth. Most of the time that ends up being a hinderance more than a benefit. You will find more good targets learning to pick through the trash... the same trash that others have overlooked because they don't like digging pull tabs. I am very impressed how well the Basic 1 (w/ all factory settings) program works in my area. I can just imagine some of the hotter/deeper programs once I learn this unit. Remember to keep it fun! :)

I don't think I have ever seen mineralisation raise higher than a third or so, and I'm just east of you if I remember correctly.

Hello all, I have had my Deus for nine days now and have hunted with it for 7 of them! I have right around 40 hours of Coil to the ground. So far other than my normal clad finds I have found 3 fake rings, Two are medium wedding band size and one is modern class ring size! I have found many more Nickels than normal, and am running just a touch better than normal on Dimes and Quarters. My Zincoln count is down as I am only digging the shallow pennies! My good finds are a 1903 V nickel, a 1916 wheat penny, and today I found a Silver Necklace. The site has been beat to death and is a major trash Site. The necklace was near a net pole just outside the Volleyball court. I have searched the area with four different MDs, and A friend has searched with three! I haven't found one thing yet to not like about the Deus, but I have found many things already to Like!!! GL & HH........Pat/Vans