Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New Forum for Civil War enthusiasts

JerseyHunter

Anyone know of any spots in NJ to hunt for civil war relics? I'm still new and would like to find someplace as everything I know of is No Metal Detecting allowed. Thanks in advance.

go to your state library or historical society and look at regimental histories for your state and look for training camps before they left for war. could be some sweet relics.

Richard

As a fellow NJ detectorist I can tell you that in 12 years the only Civil War item I have found was a Union belt plate. I didn't know what it was when I dug it up since I wasn't seeing these popping out of the ground in the past. I cleaned it a bit and then knew what I had. I dug it at an old homesite so it was surely brought back by a vet and possibly given to a kid who lost it playing. NJ did play a role in the war and there were camps but this state has gotten so populated that you would be hard pressed to find an encampment that isn't a Wal-Mart now. My suggestion is go to your local library and see if there is anything in the "local history" section, usually in a separate room that talks of Civil war activity. Most likely you may find a GAR medal from a reunion. The key to successful detecting is 90% research and 10% luck that you swing your coil over the relic. There are surely guys on this forum that are more knowledgeable and can assist also. Happy Hunting!

Jeff

You actually hit the nail on the head with the old homesite find. Even here, in the deep South, most of our CW hunting has turned to locating old homesites from the right period, since finding campsites is usually like looking for a needle in a haystack. Besides, your chances of still making good finds (old coins and jewelry) is actually higher at an old homesite than at a guessed at location in the woods somewhere (guess how I know that after 5 years of hunting a lot of guessed at woods sites). To the OP, I would have said that NJ was not some place to really do any Civil War relic hunting, but if you can find a location that was a training camp and still has its original surface, go for it and good luck.

The New Jersey Brigade camped in southern Md. I was an early Md. hunter but their camp was on Govt. land. Off limits

Thank you everyone for the info. I will try the County library for more info as the local branch has hardly anything about the history of the area. I know I will have to travel to any site that I may come up with as where I live there was no civil war camps, skirmishes or battles what so ever. Lots of pirate action back in the day though. Marty

Marty down here every county raised troops and trained in the county, I would think that would hold true for where you live.

Richard

You have a much better chance of finding Revolutionary war items. NJ is rich with activity from that era. While the guys down south are pulling Minnie balls I am always finding musket balls up here.