Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New G2+ owner

quicksilver

Added a brand new G2+ to my arsenal of machines for civil war relic hunting. Any suggestions on settings would be appreciated. Thanks all..

I don't do much relic hunting with mine but I do appreciate all its options and use them all. Volume settings influence iron audio so if you don't want to hear iron sounds (0-40 on the G2+), set it at 10. Anything above will give full volume to anything non ferrous and raise your iron audio incrementally. I use V-Break and Notching too. I particularly like the fact that the notch can be tiny or large. One could use it to only notch out modern pull tabs for example by notching out a range of 2-3 numbers instead of notching out the whole pull tab section like a lot of other machines. On my machine if I make a 2 number notch and push it to 58 (canceling out 58-59), modern pull tabs are gone. If you don't want to hunt for iron relics for example you could either set your volume level at 10 (zero iron) or 11-12 to barely hear the iron and or use V-Break to assign a lower ferrous grunt to the small foil range just above 40 taking out small bits of aluminum slaw if your area has modern trash.

I use mine at max sensitivity almost all the time. In 2 years of ownership I only encountered EMI problems once and I had to lower sensitivity to about 40 in that particular area. That's very unusual with this machine. It's the most stable machine I've ever used. Recovery speed is awesome. I really appreciate the big numbers on the VDI. I only wish it had more tones at times especially when I want to cherry pick silver coins and jewelry. Congrats on your purchase. Be patient while you learn it and I think you will appreciate what it can do.

Thanks dfmike, that is a very helpful post. Thanks for taking the time.

My pleasure. Let us know how it works out for you.

99% of my hunting is relic. I find that vol. @ 11, Disc. @ 0, and V-break at 39 does well for me. The soil here is mild and the digging is easy. Hope you enjoy the G2 as much as I enjoy mine. Light weight, big screen, well balanced and electronics that does what it's supposed to do.

Thanks Woody. Appreciate the info. My friend does real well with his and loves it. I'm sure I will also. I'll be posting in the civil war forum tomorrow night. Thanks you guys..

The G2+ is a great relic machine. I live very close to some big power lines and this is the only detector I can use in my yard due to EMI.

Love the G2+. Getting so I use it more than my F75LTD. Super fast processing.

For non-iron hunting, I set the V-break at 37 and vol at 11 so I can hear the iron sound.
I dig anything with higher tone.

Might sound like a silly question but I read a lot of posts from people with a G2+ and/or F19 that use V-Break at the limits of iron on these machines (35-40) instead of setting volume at 10 to kill the iron grunt completely. Most people don't want iron targets so what can one gain by using V-Break instead of just muting the iron target sounds altogether ?

With the V-Break you can set the point where you want the iron grunt to start. If you set it at 35, only VDI of <=35 will give an iron grunt. Those >35 will hit has non-ferrous (high tone).
You get to define at what level is "iron". I like to set it below VDI 40 because when the coil hit iron and good target at the same time, they can be averaged, bringing down the non-ferrous VDI.
EX: A good target of VDI 45 (small gold coin) laying next to a nail (VDI 15) may produce a VDI of 37.

I get interested in VDI's greater than 35, so I want them to produce a high tone to alert me.

From manual:
V-Break (Change audio for certain targets)
V-Break is a feature that allows the user to change the audio response of certain targets. V-Break allows the user to program the detector so that any target with an ID in the range of 0 - 80 can induce a LOW tone. Examples: The user sets V-Break to a desired setting (e.g. 42). Every target with ID less than or equal to 42 induces a low tone. The audio response of targets with IDs greater than 42 are not changed. VBreak can be set only for Target-IDs that have not previously been rejected using the discrimination or notch functions.

By listening to iron grunts at Vol. 11, it tells me to slow down and pay attention. I like to hear what I am over. Also, older detectors used to null over iron, so iron is a good place to hunt for sites that have been hunted hard.

jak135 thanks a lot. I was under the assumption that the F19/G2+ would automatically give a low tone grunt to anything from 0-40 no matter how the detector was set up (except for volume 10 which of course makes the 0-40 range totally quiet). So basically I could set v-break at 25 and then everything above 25 would have a non ferrous high tone ? Interesting. So that v-break can be a boon or a double edged sword. I set mine quite high at times but now a I realize I might be missing interesting targets in trash. The manual does not implicitly mention that setting the v-break lower than 40 will give a non ferrous tone to those numbers that usually fall in the iron range on this machine.

dfmike-

You are correct. The manual does NOT implicitly mention that.

When I set the v-break at 20, and pass square iron nails (VDI 25-29) over the coil, the sound they make isn't exactly the same as a dime. But it's not an iron grunt either.
I'm still experimenting with different setups and targets (alone & combined) trying to fully understand what the G2+ is really doing.

Just tried it here at home on an iron target on the ground that reads 24 and lo and behold I set the v-break at 20 and that small steel blade now behaves like a non ferrous target. Information like this is why I like dedicated forums so much. It's like finding an extended manual for such and such detector.

I went on a short hunt today and found one of the most perfect square nail I have dug up so far but it was in the 70's range if I recall. Rust makes everything creep up the target range drastically. The square nails you find at 25-29 must have very little oxidation on them and/or are very small I gather. I found it at 7" with a 5 X 10 coil.

It's a good relic machine.