Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

New to hobby - good finds already!

laynecarr

New to metal detecting. Researched the internet for a good, solid beginning detector and decided on the Garrett 250. Went out yesterday after researching some local history and decided to MD a local vacant property near oldest road in the state. Heavily wooded area smack db in the middle of suburbia yielded 10 clad pennies (two wheats), four clad dimes, three clad quarters. The real finds were the standing Liberty quarter (too soiled to get date), a 1909 Barber quarter, and a 1910? Barber half-dollar. Man, was I psyched when that silver came out of the ground! I'm officially hooked on the hobby and plan to return to an adjacent property and a local unused ball field soon. Here are some pics of the silver:

Mike

man thats a great first hunt, when you find a spot that good you should hit it a few more times theres got to be more silver there. good job hh

I think the corrosion is due to the muddy area I pulled these out of. Any clue how to remove at least some of the corrosion?

I believe the black stuff is actually silver sulfide tarnish from organic acids in the ground. It can be removed with electrolysis or even tarn-x, followed by a silver polish.

Congrats on a super first hunt ! You are going to be spoiled now. Great finds !

I am spoiled; I went hunting again this morning and only got clad coins, but I was still excited about my finds. I find the anticipation of something really special is far more valuable than the actual find! Trying to get my wife to walk the dogs this afternoon in an area I've been dying to get to -- I think that qualifies me as addicted. Thanks to all for chiming in!

That Standing Liberty looks like it's pitted or melted. Was there a house fire on that vacant lot?

the finds are no respector of persons, = oportunity most of the time its the spot you search that makes you , you can have the best detector and it is no good without a good spot , - ya whats up I never se silver that coroded, is it close to salt water? stillnice tho I bet more resides in that spot Good job on finding a good spot . and the ACE is a goodd solid detector .

It sure blows you away when you dig up something like that. Get back out their. There will be more of them good finds... KEN

Ohio Digger said:
That Standing Liberty looks like it's pitted or melted. Was there a house fire on that vacant lot?
that's exactly what I was thinking, house fire,if you get a piece of tin foil shiny side up and fold in half, place coin inside and spit on it ,pinch the foil together with coin inside you will feel it getting hot and it will smell like rotten eggs, that's shows its real silver and cleans the coin too