Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie intro, with a few questions...

B-CSphil

Hello all,

I've had an interest in metal detecting for quite some time, and am finally doing some research on what type would be appropriate for a beginner who will most likely not advance past the hobbiest level any time soon. This forum has been one of the most helpful sites I've found so far, and has been one of the key reasons why I've narrowed down the list to either a Garret Ace 250 or a Tesoro, probably the Silver u-max. I think either one would serve a beginner quite well.

I do have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. Since I am almost 6'3" tall, I am concerned about the shaft length adjustment of these (and a few other possibilities). However, I've not been able to find anything as to exactly how long the shafts can go. Can anyone (particularly you tall members) comment on how well these will fit a tall person, or just provide comments in general concerning fit for tall persons?

Also, if anyone has a recommendation on a good book for a beginner, I'm all ears (ok, eyes...)!

Thanks in advance,
Phil in TX.

I may not be the best person to respond to your questions as I don't own either machine but.... If I were you I would find a dealer in your area and try swinging a couple machines and see what fits you best. The best book you can read is the manual that comes with the machine you choose, learn it, live by it, it's your friend. After that it's just a matter of getting into the field as much as you can and fully understanding what the machine is telling you. Once bitten, that usually takes about one trip, the hobby will become an addiction fast. Welcome to detecting, hope you find all kinds of cool stuff.. Bob

I think going to your local dealer who sales most of the major brands will answer most of the questions about which detector would be the best.Hands on feel of the machine will give you more information and give you a better chance to get the right detector.You may want to try a Whites Prizm 2 or 3 which is about in the same price range.

Go to

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/index.htm

and click on Fisher Intelligence. It will download a big PDF file to you. While it's mostly geared towards Fisher products, there's still a lot of good basic detecting covered in it. No matter what brand you end up buying.

http://www.thegoldenolde.com/

This is also a good link to learn basic detecting tips from.

Good Luck,
Dave

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, there are no dealers where I live, which is why I have to resort to the internet for help....

Phil in TX

HI

IM NEW HEAR TO ! WHITES HAS SOME GOOD DETACTOR,FOR ALL KINDS OF TREASUE HUNTING. A GOOD BOOK TO READ IS THE URBUN TREASER HUNTER.I LIKE THAT ONE. YOU CAN FIND OUT MORE ON WESTERN A EASTERN TRUASURE MAG,THEY HAVE BOOKS. AND KELLYCODETACTORS.COM IN A GOOD PLACE TO BUY A METAL DETACTOR,AND THEY HAVE GOOD PRICES TO ! AND ANY THING ELS JUST LET ME NO!

PRISCILLA

Hi Priscilla,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to find that book.

By the way, did you know that using all capital letters is the internet equivilent of shouting? Thought you might like to know...

regards,
Phil in TX

Over the years I have bought metal detectors from the mail order companies with mixed results,some advertisements can be very misleading and suggest a good value,great performance and the latest technology.When in fact these dealers want to make a fast buck and clear out their inventory of inferior obsolete units. Make an effort to go to the dealer's store,even if they are not close, this could can save you time and money. Again there's no substitute to going to a dealer and demoing the detector before you buy. At the store shopping will give you better information than a bunch of advertising hype. Its also kind of nice to buy the detector on the spot and not wait a week for it to arrive. Anyway with you being new your probably not going to take my advice,which you'll learn the way we did.Good luck buying the detector.