Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Newbie to needle-metered detectors.

Hunt4Fun

Hi all,

I have never used or even been around a needle-metered detector. Most of my metal detecting experience started 6 months ago with an MXT.

I bought an XL Pro, and am expecting delivery soon ..... can hardly wait. I downloaded a manual from the White's site and have read it through twice.

Are there any tips that would help me, a newbie, to get started with the XL Pro?

Thanks
Hunt4Fun

JB's hints and tips for the 6000di:

http://66.51.97.78/jb/6dipro.html

"Taking a Closer Look At Metal Detector Discrimination" by Robert C. Brockett

OldeTymer

Thanks OldeTymer,

Went to the site. Really great tips. Hope my XL Pro comes soon so I can try out the tips.

Will be looking for the book.

Thanks for the info.
Hunt4Fun

Hunt4Fun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>snip... Will be looking for the book.
>
> Thanks for the info.
> Hunt4Fun

You might check with the various FindMall sponsors for the book. I'm sure one of them would have it.

OldeTymer

n/t

I hunt regularly using the XL Pro and units many years prior. On the XL Pro run your Pre-Amp Gain (Signal Balance) as much as possible but keep the unit running stable, in high mineralized ground back off the pre-amp, or reduce if your noticing electrical interference (power lines-cell phone towers-etc.).

Use a smaller coil in trash area's, with the smaller loop you can increase gain more-so than the 950 & keep the unit running stable, which will help you accheive the best depth with the smaller coil.

Reducing disc. is going to help depth (more disc. can reduce depth) and running in hot rock accept (when possible), just watch for abrupt needle deflections or object you can't pinpoint usually indicates a Hot Rock most times.

Smaller search coils are more sensitive to smaller objects and offer better target separation amongst targets near others & trash. Many times amongst trash I've found close targets were masked by using larger coils. Smaller coils more versatile working in tight areas & lighter also.

If the meter varies but the signal sounds smooth or soft( not broken) dig, good indication of deep target. the meter on deep targets can waver, even on digital or analogs alike.

I've hunted with many hi-end units that were digital, and with other detectorists using pre-set programs on non analog units. Following in thier footsteps with analog units, 5900 SL-6000 Di Pro's-SL's-XL Pro and pick up a lot of different tokens, rings and Indian Heads and ocassional Half-Dimes they have passed over in pre-set.

Take your time and think of your loop as a paint brush applying double coats (overlap as you progress);^)
Good Luck:twodetecting:

In 35 years of hunting I still prefer the meter like on my TEK-MK1. Put your PRO in GEB MAX and bring a backhoe, but it is strictly meter TID in this mode.

Thanks Dan-Bama,

Great tips and advice. Really appreciate you spending the time to share them with me.

UPS delivered my XL Pro Tuesday. Did put it together, but havn't had time to even try it out yet. Christmas, etc, etc keeping me completely tied up. Will be in detecting withdrawals soon.

Did get a 5.3 inch coil with the detector. Per your advice, will try it very soon.

Thanks again
Bob

Bob