Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nokta Fors CoRe and nickels?

Went out on a 2 hour outing this morning as the temps were in the 60's. Went to my old high school concession stand. It's no longer in use...in fact there is nothing there but the cement stadium seats. This spot is tough on coin hunting and I've tried many many different units. Always pulled out something in the past but lately nothing. The Fors CoRe found me some coins but they were all nickels. 3 war nickels and one new nickel. The silver nickels read 58 and the new nickel 56...all except for one silver nickel that read 78? Whats with that?

The Nokta is making a name for itself down here!

Charles

The alloy mix used in the war nickels are not exact or are not mixed uniformly. I have had war nickels i.e. pop a high tone in the ground using etrac, dug the coin and on top of the ground read closer to a regular nickel. Sounds like the site you hunted has been busted by minlabs and or the nickels were on edge. The FORS unit is very good on coins on edge.

The stock 11". I was just thinking it was a bit unusual to find nothing but nickels. You would have thought there might have been a wheat penny in there somewhere. The rusty old bottle caps gave me some grief...but they didn't want to lock in most of the time. I dug a lot of them though. I have a small coil on order. When it comes in I'll go back to that old place.

Charles all the other coins should be the first to be found. Nickels last lets say. Where they come in on the conductive scale they are just there by themselves somewhat. You just said a mouthful with the rusty bottlecaps. They will not lock in and sound rough if it will read even. Mine just sound crackled/disked out. Ran the coil over a couple yesterday laying on top of the ground at varying heights and they don't register. I haven't dug but one crown cap in 80+ hours on the CoRe, it sees them for what they are.

As of right now Jack I only have the 11" and rusty bottle caps hit hard with that coil...just has bouncy numbers though...that's why I dug a bunch of them. They would ID with a "82-83" on the numbers...much the same as pennies...but not really locking in as a coin does. I was using DI3...mask set at "50"...sensitivity "85"...ground balanced after pumping was "42". Tried auto ground tracking but still the same results on the bottle caps. Maybe the smaller coil will help when it arrives.

That one silver nickel is what threw me for a loop. Most of the silver nickels ID'ed a little higher than a newer nickel. The newer nickel came in at "55-56"...the silver at "56-57". That one silver nickel came in at "78". I've seen this happen in the past with other ID units. Maybe silver ratio was higher in that one? BTW...these were in ground and air results...both were the same...the soil did not effect the results much in my area.

I gotta find out why my Fors CoRe is sounding off on the rusty bottle caps better than yours. Gotta be the soil?????

Thanks!

Charles

Charles the rusted crown caps crackle being rejected or nulled like iron. If you get within say two inches of one it overloads the machine. I ran the coil over several laying on top of the ground today. The stock coil like you are using. They either ring as iron or crackle and the tell tale sign is they break up real bad. I don't dig em at all. The machine locks on so well to a coin it will become very obvious as your ears adjust to its sounds. Are you using the stock phones? I'm using RAT phones and they really make every nuance available for the ears to hear.

I've been using my Rats also. Seems like they really enhance the sounds. Thanks for your reply.
BTW...just got in my small coil from KC. Got to go try it out before the sun sets. Take care.

Charles

Gave it about a 45 minute run this evening in a very trashy park environment. First I ran at 50 sensitivity...10 ID mask...DI3 mode...GB balanced perfectly. Every 56-57 signal was the newer (double ring) pull tab. Every 82-83 was an old iron bottle cap. All signals loud and very distinctive.

Brought the ID mask up to 84...Sen. to 90...still in DI3 mode...so I could "cherry pick" and every other 84-85 was a flattened screw cap. I got a couple of copper Lincoln memorial pennies that would read up into the 86-87 numbers. Again all dug signals were loud and clear signals. This kinda disappointed me...but it was my first hunt with the little coil.

I know I have a lot to learn about the Fors CoRe but it still is a pretty basic machine. I have been hunting for over 40 years and I know some things about metal detectors. Heck I've owned over 200+ units in those years.

I can say this about it though...all those signals I dug were over 4" deep in all that trash. Units I have used in the past could never ID that deep in that area. BTW...GB was getting me a 42-46 number.

The Fors CoRe will find me stuff in there...I guess I just need more patience. I got a little of the "blues" expecting too much too fast. If any of you Fors CoRe users have any hints to help me out in this small coil situation please feel free to respond. I haven't used the stock coil there as yet but have had similar occurrences in other areas with it. Thanks!

Charles

Charles when my coil hit's a coin it has a very distinct sound. My rusty and newer crown caps id in the mid 60's. Ran the coil over a bunch of them today, numbers are jumpy and most disk out, crackly. A screw on modern beer cap aluminum, gives an 83 or 84 and does not have the same this is a coin sound. Plus doing the backward wiggle when pinpointing them as a target almost always at mid coil, they overload the machine. Here most are only a couple inches deep or less. If I dig one deeper and it's in the plug it overloads the machine. What I do dig is the mashed flat aluminum screw caps as they sound superb. I've about got it down to a science for me. If it is not pronounced like a coin sound and the TID is jumpy I don't dig it. Keep in mind a half inch swing over a good target it flat locks in on it in a lot of trash. This machine just might be the most talkative detector I've ever ran. It says a lot of things I've figured out and had a lot of breakthrough moments today. In other words it's still training me, but a good target sound will stop a train it seems. I just clocked a hundred hours on it today. The first half of that was some serious ear and mind intimidation from the sounds.

Thanks! I've got a lot to learn with this unit but I don't mind...I like it. I seems to fit me...if you know what I mean? Simple...yet direct and pronounced! I think it is going to be a keeper.

Charles

Jumpy ID is a big clue as long as you don't hear iron to determine junk. The number 84 and above it seems will get you the good stuff with few caps dug. Tone quality on the 83s will help weed out the caps. I usually don't mess with the ID mask. Turning it up causes the tone to be clipped; especially on targets close to iron/nails. And remember a clipped tone is a harder tone to judge quality versus a longer one.

Jack...went hunting back to the same old spot where I had previously found the nickels with the stock coil...only this time I used the small coil. The rusty old bottle caps were not a problem with the small coil...they acted just like you said...jumpy ID and broken sound. I only dug 3 of them...the rest were easily ID'ed with no lock on! The stock coil I had used before must have done it's job though as I only dug 1 wheat this hunt with the small coil. However...I dug a lot of very small items that I had missed with the stock coil. The small coil does a great job and locks on...just like our said. Thanks and HH!

Charles