Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Not sure I'm getting the Depth I should

Dennis 2

Went out with my Quattro today to another old town Common. Well I won't think my Quattro is getting the depth it should. I didn't get any hits over 3" ( this is a 1700's common and has a Fair every year . I know air tests don't mean anything ,but what should I be getting on a clad Quarter, Indian head penny , and a dime ? I did air test and this is whatI got.

Clad Quarter 61/2"
Indian Head 6 1/4"
Silver M Dime 6 1/4
Used pre-set Coin ,Sen. at 29 . This is the farthest distance that I got a good clear signal ( good solid beep ) . I could hear them farther away ( 71/2") ,but the signal would start to brake up .
What do you think ?

The first thing i would do is get out automatic sens.and get it ifxed on manual sens.Maybe there isn't anything deeper than what your going my qsuattro is very sensitive i'm sure your's is too.I doubt there is anything wrong with your machine.Just kep getting to know it better jmoho... kd hh.

Maybe somebody can shed some light here for me.

YOU tell him to "get out of Auto".

He says that he has "Used pre-set Coin ,Sen. at 29". SO my question is: Just what settings is he running? Since the max sensitivity on the Quattro is 20, what am I missing here??? Ae we talking about a Quattro or an Explorer II???

Ks digr
I see you lose allot of depth using Auto . I try and set the sensitivity has high as possible with out to much falseing

I did find out if you set it on AUTO you lose about 2" in depth....maybe more . If you want to get really good depth you have to run it on 20 ( 18 the lowest ) , but then you have to deal with the falseing ( spelling ) . Wouldn't it be nice if someone would write a "TRUE" Test report and tell you how a detector really works . Not to bad mouth it ..just tell you the good and bad points ( things it's not so great on )Don't get me wrong , I do like the Quattro allot .
Also , While I was playing around with it yesterday at the park ( 4 hours ) I notice that when the coil goes over a good target ( first sweep beep ) you then have to search really slow ( with short swings ) to get on that target ( Double beep ) . Must be the nature of the beast . This is with the coil right against the ground ( No air in between.

Hunt Well
Dennis

Dennis
----- Original Message -----

On any and all detectors we read about. Any one of the detectors have their great and their weak spots and it would be nice for the field tester to be able to put this in their report. There is no perfect detectors and if I was to write one on the Quattro some of the good points it is easy to switch between modes to double check targets, the Quattro will lock on to the deep ones better than most. The idea of being able to change any factory preset into your own custom program and not lose the factory setting is great. The color is much better than its big brother the Explorer.
The bad thing is the tones are not adjustable and many of us with bad hearing the high tones are too high pitched to hear well. The Quattro is still a heavy detector, there is no back light for the times a person hunts when it is night or dark days. The Quattro has a slow recovery after it sees a good target, then a bad as the bad will sound like a good target, but that is not all bad either as a if it sees a bad before the good the good will come though a null of a bad signal from my test i did.
I would still be using my Quattro if i could have adjusted the tones as the high tones of silver was so high it sounded like a null with my bad hearing of high pitched tones.I learned a few things with the Quattro from the use of it and it was a surprising what this detector can do, so even better than it big brother the Explorer.
As you see there is good and bad on every detector, but the good out weigh the bad on the Quattro, or infact the Explorer, the Sovereigns or the Advantage or even the Excalliburs as these detector are the ones finding all the better finds.

Rick

In one of my beach trips, I tried burying a coin in the sand. Can't remember whether it was 8 or 10 inches deep. Could hear the tones easily at 18 and even when I lowered sens to about 10! But in auto mode...it was undetectable.
There's probably a reason why they set the depth of the auto mode this low (for detector stability reasons I guess) but wish the setting was much higher.

Don't get me wrong...I do like my Quattro :)

That result is completely contrary to what I have found with my Quattro. I have run numerous tests on the beach (wet/damp sand) and can only once in many tries find that manual 17 is any better than auto. 18 may be a little better, but I start getting false signals. I continually find coins and even toe rings deeper than 15" in auto mode. It seems unbelievable, but true. Waiting for Minelab to offer a "backhoe" option for the Quattro.

Hi Shagger,
Now that you mention it, I may not have pressed noise cancel when testing sens at auto. Will do that in my next beach trip which will be this July. Will let you know what happens.

Hi Dennis. I like what you wrote about the depth with the quattro. I seem to have also only, (so far at least), found coins in the 3-4 inch range, and I'm hunting around a farm house that my family has had since 1871. "But" I did find an 1880 indian head cent at about this range (the 3-4 inch range) in the backyard of this farm. So I can't really say either that "auto" mode isn't finding anything "older" for say. But I do only use the auto setting on sensitivity, and I have wondered too if I could go deeper with it higher. But after speaking with a few people on the forum here they have told me that, depending on my soil conditions and the amount of falsing I may have to endure, that I could try setting it up to 17 or 18 and trying it out. I'm wondering though if it's not just the type of soil in the area I'm hunting? Up in Wisconsin, where are farm house is, I notice that after about 6 inches I start to hit hard clay. Now I'm not an expert on how coins react in the ground over many years, but I'm wondering if someone did drop a coin, say around..1890 or 1900, if the clay layer wold stop it from going down any further? So in other words it may have been dropped a long time ago, but the clay layer would keep it at about 6 inches? I'm not sure but just trying to guess. I also notice that most of the amazing depths I hear on the forum here seem to come from the beaches, which makes me wonder if the quattro is geared more toward sandy beaches, (at least for really great depths), and when on regular ground it reacts more toward what I'll call, (for a lack of better wording) "more typical depths." And now I'm not trying to bad-mouth the quattro, I'm really not. I love what I've learned soo far about my quattro, but when I say the typical depths thing I just mean what most higher-end detectors would probably get on dry land. Which leads me to my last question of: does anyone know what a person, in normal average soil conditions, with average mineralization, can get depth-wise on dry land? Thank's all. Sincerely, Randy

Ok, let me throw my two cents in here. Addressing Rick Nd, if I'm not mistaken, it sounds like you're having trouble hearing the hight tones and would prefer the lower ones. It sounds like you havn't read Andy Sabisch's book Mastering the Quatro, because he talks about a thing called cross saving where you can run in the coin mode with the ferrous or conductivity audio setting. If I'm not mistaken the conductivity audio is lower in pitch than the ferous audio, but I don't think that the Quatro owners manual addresses cross saving. If you're interested I could tell you how to do it on another message.
As far as depth goes, I've been running on auto sensitivity and I'm sure I've dug a few things at about 8 to 10 inches. I think I dug a shotgun shell on the beach at about a foot using auto. But..., this is a very interesting and important subject, especially if it's true that auto keeps the depth ability down a bit. I've always wondered about that, and I see we have a few differing opinions here, but I'm pretty convinced that the type of ground and especially how long the item has been buried has a lot to do with it. Acording the Charles Garrett, who I still consider is a pretty bright man, says that the surface area of the item has a lot to do with it. That has to be true because these casche jars have a bigger surface area and I'm hearing lots of stories of 18 inches and stuff on the bigger items.
I guess the other question is, do you get more depth on the beach than the parks and farms. Good question. Honestly, I havn't been measuring with a ruler yet and I also will scoop out 3 or 4 shovel fulls of sand or dirt and then scan the dirt to find the item, so it's hard to tell how deep the coin was. I think on the shot gun shell, I remember digging a couple of good shovel fulls and noticed that the target was still in the whole, and at that point it looked like the whole was about 7 or 8 inches deep. That's what made me think it might have been a foot deep or so. I guess someone's gonna have to do some accurate measuring and digging to find out the true enchilada here, but I've read other forums where they said they found coins
in about 15 inches of sand.
One last thing. Speaking of forums, if you go to Minelab Quatro forums, they have a guy on there talking about not even worring about the audio. He says, look at the pinpoint bars, and if they're moving "even a hair's breath" as he puts it, there's something down there. He says he recover's penny's at two feet in the wet sand. That's pretty deep. Well, I admit I havn't built my "test garden" as Andy says to do, and I'm using hard clay in the back yard as excuse. Maybe I should do it any way, and dig it up and bury some stuff, measuring it first of course and labeling them. Happy hunting. Marc Trainor.
s

I'm sorry for being such a forum hog here, and especially not editing my own responses better. I was reading my last response, and when it came to the part of: "Does the Quatro go deeper on the beach than in the parks", my whole line of talk went south somewhere. What I ment to say was, I don't personally seem to see a difference in depth between the beach sand and the park dark brown hard dirt I dig in. But,...I could be wrong. Sounds like this this needs to be scrutinized very closely by measuring and being careful not to flick the item out before you measure. That's my problem, because I'll dig 3 or 4 scoop fulls, THEN, I'll re check the scooped out dirt to try and find the item. Well when I do that, I don't really know how deep it was because it's already out of the ground laying on the side, and I don't know whether I got it on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd scoop. Get what I'm saying. You'd almost have to be a little archeological here and dig just a little at a time till you find the item laying there (in the hole its self.) That would be more accurate.
At any rate, I truly believe that The Quatro will go pretty darn deep, and if that's not enough for you, get a bigger coil. I can't imagine that a bigger coil wouldn't give you some extra depth. Happy hunting, and hope to resolve this issue in the future, by someone. By the way, I still feel like a kid in a candy store here, just talking to my buddies about our new bicycles or something. Hope that isn't too coo coo sounding, but it sure makes my day happier. I'm glad I can be a part of it.

Hello,

As Mike (Virginia Beach) will attest, the QUATTRO does go deep on the beach. In fact, he has commented that it possibly goes deeper than the EXPLORER on the beach and that the EXPLORER may go deeper than it in "dirt". I have dug targets up to about 2' deep on the beach. I regularly dig 15" to 18" targets (Sensitivity set to "AUTO"). Why only 3" to 4" in dirt? I have no clue. I still think a backhoe should be a Minelab option for the QUATTRO, at least for beach hunting.

In either conductivity or ferrous tones the silver and copper coin will have the same high tones or close to it. In the relic or all metal mode we use the ferrous tone, but in the coin and jewerly it is the conductivty tones. Now where I like the relic or all metal mode and build my patterns to what I want is in my nail infested area so my nails will be low tones while my coin the high tones, but still the tones are not adjustable and too high pitched. I like the conductivity mode where there is not many nails so I run the coin mode and adjust to what i want. Its been a while, but I believe it is like the Explorer and the nickles do sound better in the ferrous mode than conductivity, but silver coins and copper still sound the same in ferrous of all metal or relic as they do in the conductivity coin mode and too high pitched for us with a high tone loss in our hearing.
As far as depth on the beach or in a park I know my Explorer gets alot more depth at the beach I tried in NJ than it does in the parks in ND and feel the Quattro should be the same.
I had a guy with the Explorer get a weak signal with his detector and ask if my Quattro could get it, not only did the Quattro get it but a better signal too, it was a barber dime at 10 inches and it locked right on the Quattro.

I kind of lost track here on this tone thing, but I sure hope I didn't offend anyone by suggesting that they might not have read Andy's book. I know about cross-saving, but even though I've played with the different tone settings, I think I need to study it much more extensively. Mike says he can hear the difference between a nickel and a #14 pull tab. I'm embarrassed Mike. I'm also a musician and I'm supposed to have a good ear, but let's face it, things ain't always as they're supposed to be, and besides I may be losing some of the high frequencies in my hearing too. I know that "they" say that's true, the older you get. At any rate, I'm gonna work on that aspect a lot more, because the way I figure it, if you can use the audio to distinguish between different targets as well as the numbers, you're that much further ahead when it comes to discrimination.