Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Notka RS Pinpointer

rjsupersonic

I know Garrett has the market share on pinpointers I've had 2 of them and they work great for about 2 years then they start falsing. I wanted to hear from folks that use or have tried the Notka RS pinpointer? I am thinking about getting one....

I like the RS pinpointer. Put side pressure on the tip, it does not sound off like my garrett, also about an inch deeper. I sold my garrett.

I forgot to mention it in my Racer evaluation, but I definitely like it. The Nokta has a little different styling and activation switch, but if it is as rugged as the Makro and works as well, then it's an excellent tool.

I have had a couple of Garrett Pro-Pointers and they worked, kind of. I didn't have any major problems, but sometimes performance was terrible for no understandable reason. I have some friends who went through some field failures with theirs. Usually, I haven't wanted or needed a hand-held pinpointer because for decades I found targets and isolated them [size=small](pinpointed)[/size] using my detectors. That was easy because I learned how early-on, and also because I usually used a smaller-than-stock search coil.

Through the past twenty-fives years or so we have seen a trend to larger-size standard coils as well as people opting for "bigger coils to get more depth." With larger-size coils we often have larger size recovery holes but it is also often a little more difficult to 'pinpoint' a target with bigger coils, and that makes a hand-held pinpointer useful. I don't always use one, but I do more often than I used to.

The White's TRX pinpointer is what I went with and I like it because it does provide a little better depth than what I have handled in the past ... but ... just like with a regular metal detector, depth isn't everything. I still have my TRX, and like it, but now that I've been using the Makro pinpointer, I like it better. The TRX can change to 4 sensitivity settings, and you can select audio, vibrate or both, but so does the Makro.

The Makro is much easier to adjust those settings. Also, I have a lot of hearing loss and even with my Pro Star or Killer B headphones, I can [size=small](barely)[/size] hear the Makro PP but have difficulty with the TRX even w/o headphones. I can also feel the Makro vibration better than I could other PP's I've owned or used.

Some comment on the On/Off function, but I like it. One press and it's On, and I KNOW it is off with a momentary press and hold to get the six shut-off beeps. I can't tell you how many times I have thought I turned the TRX and some other pinpointers off only to realize later that I hadn't. Oh, and when it is on the lighted area design also works better when I have hunted into the evening and can't see in a dark hole.

Super depth? No, and I don't think a hand-held pinpointer needs it. But the Makro has very functional depth. We should be on or close to a target from using our detector in the first place, and all we really need is reliability, durability, and having a device in hand you can easily hear and/or feel is all we need. If the Nokta RS pinpointer works as well as the Makro unit, and is as durable, then I am going to have to get one just to have a 'back-up' to my Makro and sell off the TRX. The Makro is that impressive.

Monte

I have one but don't use it its my backup you have to hold the button down to get it turned on and that may take a few seconds but I like instant on and off

Makro pinpointer is awesome. water proof , four sensitivity levels. I can pick a dime up at 1.5" and a nickel at 2.5" in the air.

Me too Low-Boy! I've had a few others but the deciding factor to keep it or not was the instant on/off. I am ready to get Garrett's newest waterproof model when it comes out...if it is instant on/off.

Charles

rjsupersonic said:
I know Garrett has the market share on pinpointers I've had 2 of them and they work great for about 2 years then they start falsing. I wanted to hear from folks that use or have tried the Notka RS pinpointer? I am thinking about getting one....

That is exactly WHY I am getting a new pinpointer this year! Like clockwork, after about 2 years of use, the Garrett goes patooie. :veryangry:

MONTE, thank you again for a great input of information on the MAKRO PP. It looks like I'll be investigating that purchase next!

I read between the lines in Monte's post and bought the TRX:usaflag:

there were any "lines to read between."

If I didn't have any pinpointer today and went into a detector shop to purchase a new hand-held Pinpointer and could choose between the Bounty Hunter/Fisher or a Garrett, or a Makro or a Minelab or a White's, the Makro would be my first pinpointer investment. I have owned and/or used all of these so they are what I am considering. My #2 pick would be the TRX. There would be no #3. I'd just hold out until I could afford a Makro and next a White's, if I was a little short on buying power.

Monte

Well I guess mark me down for the Garrett PP. Hunting ghost towns, most targets are generally shallow and there are those times that you sweep the coil over the dirt you have removed and you know the target is outta the ground, but yet, try looking as hard as you can and sometimes ya just can't find the darn target. Sometimes they are crusted over with the dirt etc and get camouflaged pretty good. So to make it simple out comes the PP. To me a PP should just be a simple tool to quickly do a simple task. I felt the TRX as a PP just offered why too many functions. I dont need to de-tune, re-tune or fine tune it or ground balance it. I just need it to be a PP. The Makro PP offers a nice rugged design, with some nice features. But I have to take it out, flip it up so I can see the backside of it in order to press the right button and then I have to wait numerous seconds for it to activate, which when trying to simply recover a target seems like an eternity and once done you have to repeat the steps to shut it off. I just like the Garrett PP, as it is coming outta my pouch, my thumb is already on the button and it is on before I get it to the ground, I immediately sweep around, recover the target and as I am putting it back in my pouch, I have already hit the big button again and it is off. Someone has taught me one of the most important tools of all....Keep it Simple, and that is just what I do when it comes to PP's and my detectors as well.

At least I cannot be accused of being brand loyal. I use some of the best metal detectors that White's has made, a Classic, M6 and MXT Pro, the best Makro has to offer, the soon to arrive Makro Racer w/Pro Pack and the best metal detector that Garrett has ever made, The Pro Pointer :drinking:

your pinpointing tool of choice holds up. :rolleyes:

We'll do a little in-the-field [size=small](or ghost town or stage stop or ???)[/size] comparisons.

Monte