Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Observations with the Multi Kruzer

Dr. Witty

I took the Kruzer out yesterday to my pounded site. I'm detecting in 3 tone in the trashy areas and it's really great for picking out the coins in the trash. You just need to slow down and spot them. Gain is set at 89. The speed of unmasking really helps here. Moving on to the baseball diamond I switched the Kruzer to 2 tone in 5khz, and because the 2 tone is pretty chatty, I lowered the gain down to 65. I started picking up really deep signals in the 79 to 90 range or with no VID at all. Most all of these turn out to be really old wheat cents. I pulled 9 wheat cents out of the ground where I didn't hear them at all in the 3 tone on my Kruzer, and either missed them on my Racer 2 in 2 tone or didn't hear them. Again my gain is set at 65. These Wheat's were coming out at 10+ inches. Also remember that you can adjust the depth level that the detector displays an ID for a detected target, default is medium. I set it to high and use it as a reference only. The tone really should tell you when to dig. Maybe this will help someone who feels that 2 and 4 tone is too chatty and that decreasing the gain does not necessarily mean you will sacrifice depth.
Cheers!

Great job was that all with the stock coil?

I have found the same as you...running 5kHz in two tone is producing deep coins.

MK is darn deep even at lower gain settings.

If you are out in the same spot next time running 2 tone in the lower gain setting, try switching to 4 tone and see if you can get the same or similar signal and if a deep wheatie hits as a high tone with same ID numbers.

After running in 2,3 and 4 tone, to me, 2 tone seems easiest on my brain...even if cherry picking coins.

This is something I've been experimenting with. I do like 2 tones and used it all the time on my Racer 2 since 3 tones on that machine caused me to miss deep targets. However, I have come to appreciate the tone ID in 3 or 4 tones on the Kruzer in tandem with the display numbers. In 2 tones, on deeper signals, you're basically digging everything that's non-ferrous (which at times is OK with me). But since 4 tones is extremely chattery at high gain, and 5kHz uses battery quickly, I've been compensating by using 3 tones / 14 kHz / high gain (abt 89). Next time out, I'm going to try 4 tones and lower the gain, and just accept the fact that I can't hunt all day in 5kHz. I'll also be comparing target signals between those two configurations.

Thanks 'rover and Dr Witty for the report. I'll keep you posted.

therover said:
I have found the same as you...running 5kHz in two tone is producing deep coins.

MK is darn deep even at lower gain settings.

If you are out in the same spot next time running 2 tone in the lower gain setting, try switching to 4 tone and see if you can get the same or similar signal and if a deep wheatie hits as a high tone with same ID numbers.

After running in 2,3 and 4 tone, to me, 2 tone seems easiest on my brain...even if cherry picking coins.

I'm planning on going back out there today after work. I really want to like and use 4 tone and it may be possible to use it here after lowering the gain.I''l let you know. I bought the battery pack accessory on E-bay for 40 bucks. It should help when in 5khz. Maybe there's some deep Merc's lurking out there too.

Just got back in from a couple of hours with the Kruzer. Running 5kHz, 4 tones, 75 gain, disc at 10. I didn’t notice that much difference in 3 tones, and either 3 or 4 tones in 14 kHz. I need to compare a known target in a test bed I think before I can say for sure.

I dug this 54 Rosie, 21 wheat, and what appears to be a musket ball. They were all 6-7” down but sounded like surface targets. The Kruzer is H-O-T!

I’m not happy with my tone break between 3 and 4, so I have to play with that tonight.

So I went back out and tried out 4 tone and like Kapok I ran it at 5Khz, and 70 gain with 10 disc. To me it operates just like 2 tone but the hits are louder like they are closer to the surface and yes deep wheaties still come up at around 90 VID, while deep nails and the like come up at around 96. I would think that deep silver halves would come up banging in my headset, yet still I'll dig the 96's just in case, but they've always been deep iron. When I switch to 3 tone mode at 89 gain and sweep the same targets I get no sound. However, when I bump 3 tone up just 1 increment to 90, the target registers in my wonderful wireless headset. I know what the manual says about gain past 89, but just 1 increment pulls the deep signals into range in 3 tone. So now after hunting in 3 tone and then in 2 tone in less trashy areas, I'm getting psyched to try 4 tone. I guess you just need to understand that to use 4 tone you're going to have to lower your gain until its usable in less trashy areas, and maybe that gain ends up somewhere around 60-70, but as we've seen with the Kruzer and the Racer 2, lowering the gain is not a huge reduction in depth.