Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Oh boy, a new shovel!

A

Anonymous

Decided to take Barnacle Jr. to try our luck at Old Orchard Beach, Maine. To kick the day off right, stopped at the local hardware store, and bought him a new shovel with a shiny red blade. Hit Old Orchard about 2 miles south of the pier at 11am. Temp was about 22 deg. with a stiff wind.
After two hours of nothing but tabs, Junior was getting bored. So did a rolling lunch with PB&J, and headed south to try the North end of Ogunquit Beach. The sand was thick, thick, thick! But found a hole in the water, and most of the finds were found inland of where that hole was. Some things like the large silver ring were shallow, and dimes very deep. Sometimes the beach makes no sense! Initially the costume jewelery ring was a heart stopper.
Finds were meager, but it was a clear sunny day. With people, dogs, horses and seagulls enjoying the beach.
BarnacleBill

Hi Jim,
Been NAUI certified since '72, have a 1/4" cold water Supra wet suit. Water temp is 37deg, and I have been watching that hole for a week. That hole is possibly very dangerous, and I wouldn't get in it without a belaying line to shore with a large individual on the other end. She is a whirpool that spirals inward, once you are in, you are in! And on one side of her there is a rip headed back out. Wouldn't be suprised if she is 10-12' deep in the middle.
Now if it were summer, with a higher water temp, and more people around, I might chance it, but this particular hole just gives me a bad feeling about it.
Call me a weenie, but I plan to live to hunt another day!
BarnacleBill

Thinking about this last night. Took better close up pictures of the coins from yesterday and included photo from last Wed. finds. The coins from this hole area have very little corrosion and show rim smoothing. The 1970 zinc is a a good example, moderate rim wear and no corrosion. The 1966 dime is almost clean. The coins from Wed. were found higher up on the beach, and on the long clam flats.
None of yesterdays coins were brought home and cleaned, the sand was simply wiped off of them at the beach, of course making sure they weren't silver, before doing the wiping. The coins from Wed. were rinsed at home, but the heavily encrusted were left to be cleaned in the tumbler at a later date.
I find the difference a dramatic example of the process of some coins being moved around in the surf, and those that are stationary and static in the beach sand.
Also forgot to mention that the hole had built a berm further up on the beach. This hole is pushing the the sand that is being sculpted out of it up onto the shore further up.
I welcome any of the more experienced beach hunters thoughts on beach mechanics.
BarnacleBill

Hey Barnacle Bill, You have nothing to prove to anyone, use your common sense, and stick to it. There's nothing in that hole worth dying for!
HH, NamVetLesTreasureSeeker