Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Old Metal Detector used in the 60"s.

Metrotec 220.. I have one and would appreciate if you could pull battery. Compartment. And tell or send pic where red wire connects to. Not red battery plug

Retrotech :biggrin:

wow what a trip down the lane.

blank planet

Thanks for sharing. Spent entire summers at the DE shore. never saw 1 detector. Did read one early version of a Treasure mag that had a story of finds made with MD's. That seeded my Whites purchase 18 yrs later.

Great post TomB, I enjoy looking at that old stuff. I had a Jetco Treasure Hawk and GTX Huntmaster back in in 1974 or so. I remember the handle on this thing killing my forearm! Notice no headphone jack, this thing put out a stready tone that would have made you insane in about 20 minutes. You tuned it so that the meter was sitting at 50%, a 50% + reading and a high-going tone was metal, a < 50% reading and a low-going tone was mineral. As crude as it was, I found my best find to date with it.

-- moved topic --

I started & Still Have my Metric 220-A. It still works great on the deep relics. I got mine for a Birthday Present from my Father. I was 15 years old in 1968. He told Me "Go out and find your old coins instead of buying the. Maybe this will keep you of the streets and Out of Trouble!" He was right. Now at age 60 I have a CT-3030, Boy do I miss the Old Days!!!. Happy Hunting...Jesse.

I have one too :)
But it is not working :(
Did you save it ?

Need advice on brown wire - where it goes ?
Must open MD head - something is clanking inside.

Regards
Sinisa

I am getting all sorts of memories about the Metrotech. In the early 60's we Virginia relic hunters were mainly using tube type Fisher T10 or the new transister T20 detectors. Then along came the Metrotech and we all had to get one. I bought mine in 1967. They were outstanding detectors for their time!! They would go deep.You had to dig everything-there was no discrimination , I mounted an on off switch on mine, I found a revolutionary war site that had bad ground and the metrotech could not handle mineralized ground. In good ground (like the Richmond,Va. area) it found everything and then some. Granted buried relics were everywhere then and were inexpensive. I sold 1000 dropped bullets for a nickle each. eagle plates sold for $3.00 each. U.S.buckles were $5.00. A C.S. tongue and wreath sold for $75.00! After the metrotech we all went Nautilus and Fisher 1260,65,and 66. I am 81 now and still dig several times a week using my Nauty DMC2B, my Fishers 1200 series.I've found some good stuff (script I buttons,Virginia button,pewter canteen etc. with my Fisher 1270.lately. I had a F75 and sold it-highly overpriced and overrated detector in my view.. The detectors of the past are still the best!!!!! That metrotech found me tons of stuff!!

EV, thanx for the nostalgic look back! I started with a 66TR, that probably was no better or worse than the metrotech. It's late '60s/early '70s technology as well. But you're right: the metrotch (introduced in 1963 I believe) was ahead of its time.

Questions for you: How deep could the Fisher T10 find a coin to? Was anyone, to your knowledge, hunting coins with it? Ie.: parks and schools-type-of-thing? Or were they all hunting CW sites exclusively ? And how about the T-20? did that increase depth on coin-sized targets? And how about the metrotech: how deep could it find a coin-sized target at ?

I have an old Metrotech 220a and am looking for the headphones or external speaker attachment. Anyone out there have one for sale?

I been luck start Relic Hunting with father in early 1970s when lot site and yes tons relics. Personal in good soil myself and father dug more relics with Nautilus brand then any machine. Sadly the current owners and future of company looks bleak due poor customers service and lack produce been produced to sell and month get repairs done. Either way enjoy photo all great Nautilus models I myself and father used from old to current DMC2b. Chuck

I swing old analogues often , the amazing thing is these old beauty's can still pull the goods. Finding something nice with a 25 - 40 year old detector is just one great feeling. I am a firm believer that non motion detectors have more than a slight advantage amongst iron and other trash when compared to even the top of the range Minelabs and other top brands. Depth is not always what is needed to find good targets. Analogue still has it's place seated for many years to come.

I have one I just bought from an auction, I’m going to weld a nice handle from a Coinmaster to it and use it at older historical places where not much traffic has been for years along side my Whites coinmaster 5000D.