Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Omega 8000

jim tn

Haven't been seeing much on the Omega 8000, or the 8500, for that matter, of late and I hadn't been swinging one of mine for a while, either. So, dusted off the 8000, put a fresh 9 v battery in and headed out for some coin shooting.

I live in a community that has banned "digging on city property," not metal detecting, just digging. Yep! None of our cities finest ever enforce this "no digging" law, but at least two of the Park Rangers, do. I have "talked" with each, more then once. One time one of the Rangers got a little testy and was thinking about writing a ticket, (he thought he remembered me from a previous occasion) and I kinda let it drop that our Major and I work out together every morning early, five days a week. (Together being in the same building.) He finally decided not to write a ticket, but in no un-certain terms informed me that recovering coins with a screw driver was still considered digging.

Our, little community has enacted all the usual pandemic precautions that most areas across the country have, but like most also, encourage letting its citizens get out for some recreation and fresh air. Most city employees are either down to part time or on leave of absence. Figuring Park Rangers were probably on leave of absence, I headed off to a spot that holds a arts and crafts type festival annually and typically harbors decent numbers of easy recovery coin drops.

And, it did. Hunting it several afternoons last week with my Omega 8000 and trusty screw driver, I popped 86 quarters, 125 dimes, 37 nickels and 106 cents and 1 small sterling ladies ring, for a total of $36.91 in change. (left a fair # of zincers for next time)

I have plenty of places to hunt without bending/breaking a city ordinance against (digging), but I am a little frugal and just hated to let those pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters lay to just rot away.

Everyone stay safe. HH jim tn

Jim, the 8000 is a coin magnet. Fun and easy. Lots of bending and squatting. It's always nice to have a spot like that.

I’ve been using my version 4 with cors 12x13 coil at an old air base housing development. It got me 3 silvers on Friday afternoon. I use 3 tone with sens no lower than 85 to get the audio on a dime at 7-8” here in lower Alabama. If I can’t run it that hot I use the T2 instead.

this place is LOADED with aluminum trash and clad from surface level to roughly 6” since it became a low income project from about the 70s-current. I have to use a large coil and listen for whisper high tones to get the depth I need for silver. I simply do not dig unless there is a faint high tone or a “wobble tone” and it must pinpoint beyond 6”. It’s worked so far after digging everything up to 5” and it’s all trash/very modern. Its tough hunting but the omega and T2SE can get it done. T2 landed silvers in this area also.

I’m still using the T2, the Omega, and Gold Bug Pro as my primary machines. Fun fact, my omega with 10x5DD will scratch a 12” minie ball at 99 sens in 1 or 2 tone! I wouldn’t dig it but I know it’s there and it’s cool to see her try so hard!

Yeah, I am on my 3rd Omega 8000....version 4. I can get 7-8" with the 11" DD, but hunt mostly with the 10" concentric. When deeper is needed I go to my trusty F 75. The Omega really is a coin magnet. HH jim tn

Yeah, I am on my 3rd Omega 8000....version 4. I can get 7-8" with the 11" DD, but hunt mostly with the 10" concentric. When deeper is needed I go to my trusty F 75. The Omega really is a coin magnet. HH jim tn

I dislike its behavior in iron big time. I usually do the disc 16 thing with mine.
How do you like the 0-15 range on the f75 vs 0-40 on the t2, omega, etc... for hunting amongst aluminum? I’m thinking of getting a patriot to see how it does compared to the t2 around aluminum trash.

Haven't been seeing much on the Omega 8000, or the 8500, for that matter, of late and I hadn't been swinging one of mine for a while, either. So, dusted off the 8000, put a fresh 9 v battery in and headed out for some coin shooting.

I live in a community that has banned "digging on city property," not metal detecting, just digging. Yep! None of our cities finest ever enforce this "no digging" law, but at least two of the Park Rangers, do. I have "talked" with each, more then once. One time one of the Rangers got a little testy and was thinking about writing a ticket, (he thought he remembered me from a previous occasion) and I kinda let it drop that our Major and I work out together every morning early, five days a week. (Together being in the same building.) He finally decided not to write a ticket, but in no un-certain terms informed me that recovering coins with a screw driver was still considered digging.

Our, little community has enacted all the usual pandemic precautions that most areas across the country have, but like most also, encourage letting its citizens get out for some recreation and fresh air. Most city employees are either down to part time or on leave of absence. Figuring Park Rangers were probably on leave of absence, I headed off to a spot that holds a arts and crafts type festival annually and typically harbors decent numbers of easy recovery coin drops.

And, it did. Hunting it several afternoons last week with my Omega 8000 and trusty screw driver, I popped 86 quarters, 125 dimes, 37 nickels and 106 cents and 1 small sterling ladies ring, for a total of $36.91 in change. (left a fair # of zincers for next time)

I have plenty of places to hunt without bending/breaking a city ordinance against (digging), but I am a little frugal and just hated to let those pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters lay to just rot away.

Everyone stay safe. HH jim tn

Nice clad count and a silver ring too ! Good on you for rescuing those coins and ring. You and the Omega evidently make a good team ! I bet you enjoyed every minute.

IowaRelic, I run 0 disc. all the time on all my detectors. Hunting mostly for old coins, I don't dig it all, but do like to hear everything under the coil. HH jim tn