Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

On the CoRe and hopefully on the Racer one thing you will notice

Keith Southern

Is the ability of the machine to unmask without alot of intricate settings or even advanced skill levels.

Some machines unmask well but takes user adjusted settings or variable tone breaks spot on disc in the nail range etc to get the most out of them...

On the CoRe the machine Processes alot for you in terms of unmasking in iron..the tone break is up at 40 and nails will read well below that so you think that the setting for unmasking should be at nail ..and on most machines that is where the unmasking works the best...well the CoRe has managed to leave the tone break at 40 let the nails repport at say 20 and still unmask very very well...its right there wihtt he best in terms of unmasking in nails..

alot of this is accomplished by the less filtering of the disc signal in DI2 but theres more to it than that, the machine is processing on new levels in terms of ferrous Vs non-ferrous i.d. ability even on co-locate targets...

So what you will see on the Core and Hopefully the Racer if it has the right DNA is the simplistic way the machines will unmask...turn them on set sens ground bal and off you go through the iron hearing pips and pops and such..but a good target sounds good...even a severely masked target..it just sounds like a dig me signal...

Ive tested alot of units in iron and theres a lot fo good ones and a few great ones for unmasking...but for ease of use and set up the CoRe is right there with the big boys in that aspect yet so easy to get that SAME performance level...the CoRe is the kind of unit that makes anyone good in iron within a few hours...

Processing has come along ways it so seems..

Keith

That was a mouthful and aligns with what I think a lot of us are looking for. I was considering the Fors when I read about the new Racer. I wasn't crazy about the low mounted display on the Fors. I want stuff in front of me where I can see it and adjust when needed. If this turns out to be a medium priced detector that beats expensive ones in the iron and even gives good TID on deep targets, they may have a hard time keeping up with production. But time will ultimately tell. When I get mine I intend to spend a day in parks and schools and the next day either in a ghost town or one particular park infested with nails from an old carousel.

You would never adjust gain or ID filtering? Or GB mode if/when desired? While not anticipating a lot of that it would sure be handy for me to have it right up front.

Well, all I can say is I have a FORS and I can live with the controls as is BUT I prefer them up front and in my face. Manually adjusting the ground balance is particulary awkward on the FORS. I much prefer what I am seeing in the Racer as far as physical design. Maybe it is a personal preference thing so people who like the FORS design can get it, and the rest of us can have a Racer.

good info, Keith: iron break at 40 is the same as my G2. do the id numbers match up pretty well to each other? nickel is 58 on the G2 for example...

you guys are talking CORE but I hope one or both of you (Steve also) actually are testing a Racer as we speak. With the projected Feb release I would hope Makro put a few of these into the hands of some of our most experienced user/testers....

TabWhisperer said:
You would never adjust gain or ID filtering? Or GB mode if/when desired? While not anticipating a lot of that it would sure be handy for me to have it right up front.
I don't touch anything except now and again I'll raise the sensitivity. At 50% it still outperforms by a long shot coil size standards we have always went by. When you raise the ID filtering it sort of shortens the target reports or clips them slightly. This baby has a wonderful vocabulary so I just leave it where it's set. You never knew so much stuff was in the ground that other machines just do not see.

JFlynn said:
TabWhisperer said:
I don't touch anything except now and again I'll raise the sensitivity. At 50% it still outperforms by a long shot coil size standards we have always went by. When you raise the ID filtering it sort of shortens the target reports or clips them slightly. This baby has a wonderful vocabulary so I just leave it where it's set. You never knew so much stuff was in the ground that other machines just do not see.

I was hoping you would say that. Thanks.

And I couldn't agree more. I am NOT a fan of complexity, especially when there is no practical reason for it. I believe in 'Simple' and those have been the detectors which have rewarded me the best for a long time. The Nokta FORS Coin & Relic has a few weaknesses, like any detector will have, but you also have to admire its strengths, and one is the ability to hunt so well in iron littered places.

I really like the DI2 search mode, and am crossing my fingers that the coming Makro Racer, which shares similar adjustment functions, will also come close in overall performance, especially in iron nails and such. Let's keep up hope for an equally impressive sleek Red Racer.

Monte

I'm unfamiliar with the VDI numbers on these machines so can you tell me where the gold break would be? For example on the AT Pro if Iron Audio was set at 40 you'd miss a lot of smaller gold, earrings/pendents, that read a VDI in the 38-39 range. I run my AT Pro with Iron break/Audio at 21. Of course this is for hunting tot lots. I haven't heard any reviews on the CoRe and tot lots yet.

To get a machine hotter on small chains/gold, you would have to go Gold Bug IMO. With small coil, detector is a tight as they make. TID for VLF really hangs in their for depth. Bottlecaps can be recognized easily by pulling coil back a hair. If tid drops walk(they usually read 82/83. For silver and copper just dig the repeatable 84s and up. Amazing how steady TID stays even in junk with coin masked. DI3, you can almost just dig the highest tones and get away with the good stuff. I'll bet there aren't many old sidewalks to an old home that the CoRe unit won't pull multiple coins from, even if busted hard with other detectors. Other detectors will be reporting gobblygook, with the mixture of iron/trash/coin. CoRe with small coil will report the coin. But when you dig, get ready to have to sift thru the junk to find the goody. Pinpointer isn't much help, big magnet may help more. And remember turn ON select mode, Sensititvity, GB and sweep. It's so simple.

Southwind said:
I'm unfamiliar with the VDI numbers on these machines so can you tell me where the gold break would be?
The ID Masking [size=small](which will be ID Filter on the Makro Racer)[/size] is the Discrimination adjustment. As with every make and model there will be some differences in the Target ID read-out [size=small](what most have known as VDI Number)[/size] where the engineers consider the ferrous/non-ferrous break point to be. With the Nokta FORS Coin & Relic, they say a Target ID setting of '40' will reject most ferrous targets, and non-ferrous targets will generally read higher than that point.

As for 'gold' jewelry, I have sampled several items I have in my 50-target 'Test Tube' and a few other gold jewelry items and the response is typical. A few very tiny, lower-conductive targets will 'read' in the upper limits of the ferrous [size=small](Iron)[/size] range, such as some 18k [size=small](.750)[/size] gold earrings, and the main reason for that is a combination of small size, irregular shape, and poor conductivity of a non-continuous loop or connector. Three of these 18K earrings produce Target ID's of '41' to '46' but jumpy due to their irregular shape and position. If I changed my approach I would get a few lower TID numbers to '37' to '39' in the mix.

Thin gold chains will read lower, as will 'toe rings' that also are not a continuous ring. Small baby's and child's rings fall lower than most women's rings, and, as a rule, men's rings may be larger and show a higher Target ID number. Pendants and other gold items are of differing alloy content, size, shape, and thickness, therefore they can span the range from very low to the upper scale. What is the 'upper scale?' A $20 US gold coin will have a TID/VDI number very similar to a US copper 1¢ or 10¢ coin. I have found two [size=small](2)[/size] 24K gold rings that each read almost exactly the same as a USA copper 1¢.

A US $10 gold coin falls in a range close to a Screw Cap or US Zinc 1¢, and a US $5 gold coin is in what used to be the old ring-pull type pull-tab range. Most men's gold rings tend to fall in a range from the US 5¢ coin on up-scale to a higher old-style pull-tab read-out. Most women's and smaller gold rings fall from ± the US 5¢ range down lower I just tested a few women's 10K and 14K gold rings on the FORS CoRe in DI3 and the Target ID numbers ranged from '47' to '56.' I have one men's gold ring handy that is just a simple 14K band, and it has a Target ID reading of '61'/'62.'

I do have one favorite gold find from my #1 ghost town that I made back in the latter '80s, and that's a gold cuff link. It produces a Target ID on the Coin & relic detector of '46'/'47.'

Southwind said:
For example on the AT Pro if Iron Audio was set at 40 you'd miss a lot of smaller gold, earrings/pendents, that read a VDI in the 38-39 range.
Yes, but many 'average' hobbyists miss much more than that because they use too much Discriminate, then add some Notch Disc. settings just to not find trash. All I can say to them is "Thank You!"

Southwind said:
I run my AT Pro with Iron break/Audio at 21. Of course this is for hunting tot lots.
On my FORS CoRe in DI2 mode I have ID Masking set at '10' and I rely mainly on the 2-Tone audio, then refer to the Target ID. In DI3 I have it set at '20' or '22' so I am just about at a point to reject most nails. That way I am ignoring most nails and a lot of smaller ferrous trash, but I'll still get a hit on most of those border-line read-outs that can be the thin, hard-to-find gold jewelry.

Southwind said:
I haven't heard any reviews on the CoRe and tot lots yet.
It's been too icy, cold and/or wet where I am so I haven't worked many yet. I did mount the smaller coil and got out to about four or five spots on Saturday the 24th of last month, but only managed to get 1 sterling silver chain. 1 sterling silver pendant, and some "flash money" coins.: 25¢-27, 10¢-17, 5¢-21 and blasted 1¢-95, but no gold jewelry. I hope to get into the Portland, Oregon area before our Detector Owner Rendezvous on the 14th and get in some more tot-lot hunting as well as concentrate on a couple of older parks that have surrendered some Seated Liberty and Barber coins in the past. I'll report in after that trip.

Monte

I dont realy use my machines for anything but relic's so I cant say alot about the Tot-Lots Sir..

But I too was at first afraid of factory defined Tone break at 40 and below reporting as iron tone with no way to change that...

But I can assure you the way the machine Filters and processes the audio report even though it does not have user defined tone break. rest assured the tone you hear will speak volumes to you...

It will unmask in iron or harsh soil as good as a variable tone break unit will...

Thats part of the unique ability of the unit. It takes the critical setup process we have become used to on modern units and handles it for you...Simplistic for us the user hard for the Machine...Almsot makes me feel like Im cheating someway....Im not used to things being easy in my unmasking hunts I thrive on..

Keith

Yes Monte bring on the RED RACER!!!

Keith