Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

One for Dean now

A

Anonymous

While I'm sick and in bed I might as well get some of my relic questions answered.
Here's a knucklebow I found from a smallsword that has been dated for me to the 1690-1750 range.
I'd like to know if it's French or English and if possible if it's from a sword that actually was used by soldiers.It's alot more ornate than the plain one that I have found that is a standard French epee form.
This one has two "grottesque" faces on opposing sides.One is angry one is happy.The finger guards exit from the mouthes of lions.There is a leopard's head (maybe an eagle) figured on the curled part that has a hole through the mouth to receive a tassle possibly.I do not know if the finger guard wrapped around the hand.On early swords some of them just come straight out.The other one I have has the finger guard and it curves alot more nearer the piece.
The whole knuckle is solid brass that had a gold wash over it.About 50 percent of the gold remains on one side and less on the other.It's my dearest find and one of my earliest ones (first month of first season).Sorry about the small pic.